Rack Recommendations.

Rack Recommendations.

Postby Dorian » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi all

I’m moving house and am ready to buy a dedicated audio rack for the first time. Any recommendations please? I like the look of this SolidSteel one but it’s very expensive. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
VPI Prime | Ortofon A95 | Herron VTPH-2A | Luxman590axii Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 3000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Re: Rack Recommendations.

Postby jonathanb » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:16 pm

The SolidSteel rack is good. At a similar price, you can get a Foundation Ultra rack from Symposium. Also, the Quadraspire SV2T rack is worth checking out.

All of the racks listed above are available from The Cable Company.

One more suggestion: spend the money. It's best, and easiest, to buy the right rack to start with.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Proteus | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Merrill Cara | Merrill Thor (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 pm

A sign I saw recently advised:

“Buy the best and only cry once.”

This isn’t a rack, per se,

https://www.stickley.com/furniture/ente ... console-2/

but it works for components. The amps sit on the floor, but the rest of the gear can live in or on this console.

The quartersawn oak is my favorite, and it has a high WAF (wife acceptance factor).

One of my LP12s has a quartersawn oak plinth from wood harvested at Woburn Abbey in Leicestershire. The tree was over 600 years old and was harvested of necessity by the grounds management team some years ago. Chris Harban used Gustav Stickley’s ammonia fuming process to produce the color. I love quartersawn oak.

These are also nice. I have two ... artifacts from recent times when I had systems set up in three locations.

https://www.stickley.com/furniture/ente ... l-console/

These are Nichols & Stone, a less expensive option within the Stickley line. Typically the N&S line runs 35% to 50% of the Stickley branded units. Still very nice, but select hardwoods and not quartersawn.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Drew769 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:32 pm

Chris Futrick at Timbernation is great. He custom bios everything to order... you pick the sizes of the shelves, the spacing, the overall height, the finish color and wood type. He does amazing, heirloom quality work and it’sa fraction of commercially made furniture. It’s all hard wood so it’s naturally inert.
Attachments
C2B40556-7CF7-4AD7-ACA0-2AE134C60EB6.jpeg
C2B40556-7CF7-4AD7-ACA0-2AE134C60EB6.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 511 times
VPI Aries 3D
Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner
Vandersteen 5A
Aesthetix Pallene
Quicksilver V4 Monoblocks
Modwright PH 9.0
VAS MC-ONE SUT
Ortofon Cadenza Black
VAS Nova Ultimate Reference
Rega Planet 2000
Sony HAP Z1ES
EMM Labs DAC2X
Bluesound Node 2i
Drew769

Postby edw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:32 pm

Why not build your own. Can be infinitely adjustable and scalable using 80/20 aluminum and maple blocks.
edw

Postby 10ovr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:27 am

Drew769 wrote:Chris Futrick at Timbernation is great. He custom bios everything to order... you pick the sizes of the shelves, the spacing, the overall height, the finish color and wood type. He does amazing, heirloom quality work and it’sa fraction of commercially made furniture. It’s all hard wood so it’s naturally inert.

Yup Chris all the way,,Dose beautiful work,, ImageIMG_1453 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby Golear » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am

If you want a very "hands on" experience: cut metal rectangular pipe to the required lengths and weld (or have someone weld them up for you).
Then fill the insides with sand. You'd have drilled holes internally, so that the sand can flow into all the pipes, from one hole on the top. Very non-resonant. When I tap my stand, it's like tapping the side of a safe. As for the shelves, I like maple. I'd stay away from marble, granite, Corian, etc.

The lengths should all prime numbers, so there's less likelihood that a vibration on one member will "spread" to the adjoining members. So a height of 29 inches, width of 23 inches, depth of 19 inches. I think 1x1 section rectangular pipe would be fine. Going to 2x3, though they are prime numbers, will probably make the stand very heavy, as you'd need a lot more sand. If you go that route, you might want to increase the gauge of the pipe.

(Companies that make metal fences and railings could do all this at your house.)

Then you can paint it with a spray can. Tip: before painting, apply turpentine or paint thinner, and let it evaporate off. This removes grease, and might leave a residue which allows the paint to stick nicely. Something like that. I don't know the specifics.

You might want to also get two stands. A while ago, someone wrote about electro-magnetic radiation patterns. It might have been HP. Radiation is minimum along the edges, and maximum at the top or bottom of the PCB. Stacking components vertically will make them radiate the max. of their electro-magnetic radiation to each other. I've had issues with putting my preamp directly under my (then) direct-drive turntable. The sound was harsh, and this disappeared when I increased the space between the turntable and the preamp. After that, I got two stands so that the preamp was on the right of the turntable.

I do like the idea of putting the motor pod on its own stand, which would be independent of the stand that the turntable sits on. If I had one of the new VPI turntables, that's what I'd do. (I have a Classic 3.)
Golear

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 pm

Maybe you should use Fibonacci numbers for dimensions... works for rabbits and nautili.

And only use prime number pipe gauges.

And lead shot filling ... sounds better than sand. Plus it helps cut down on the radiation.

Use prime number shot sizes, preferably 7 and 11 mixed. The 11 fits between the 7 for a denser pack.

Plus, we know often it’s better to be lucky than to be good.

The craziest part of this tongue in cheek post is that it could be taken serious.

It is not meant to be.

:lol:
Last edited by Peer Gynt on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Fishflood » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm

My experience is that a wall shelf attached to a stud beats a rack every time. You can integrate a turntable wall shelf with a rack for your other equipment very easily and your ears will be so happy! It just takes everything else out of play and all you are listening to is the turntable, not it's interaction with the rack or the floors.

I'm in the middle of a setup so I can't get a great picture but I just bought a cheap Amazon DVR shelf, bolted it to a stud then filled it with lead shot and replaced the shelf supports with spikes and the shelf with a maple cutting board. Mine is a whole stack but I used to have a very nice rack and I simply had the shelf hover over the top of the rack closely without touching and it worked great and sounded great.

IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG (2.96 MiB) Viewed 414 times
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Dorian » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Thanks for all the great recommendations guys! I am not going to build my own rack due to time, skill and equipment constraints. I will be making a purchase. The timber nation racks I’m sure are excellent but they’re a little too “woody“ looking for me. The solidsteel rack still looks the best to me. Does anyone have experience with those from a sound quality perspective?
VPI Prime | Ortofon A95 | Herron VTPH-2A | Luxman590axii Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 3000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Next

Return to General Audio