Next Upgrade - Source

Next Upgrade - Source

Postby Dorian » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi all

I am looking for input as to what my next upgrade should be at the source. I'm not considering a new table, as my Prime is running great especially with the SOTA Condor in place. So I'm thinking its either a new tonearm, rewire the tonearm, or maybe a SUT? I have read mixed reviews of SUTs with MI carts like my SoundSmith though. Perhaps the VAS rewire upgrade?

Thanks!
VPI Prime | Ortofon A95 | Herron VTPH-2A | Luxman590axii Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 3000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Re: Next Upgrade - Source

Postby Dizastical » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:43 pm

VAS wire upgrade!!!!! You will not be disappointed. My system has never sounded so good! I did the wire upgrade and had the interconnects hardwired in my junction box at the same time. The sound is incredible! Faster, tighter and more of a live in the room feel. Keep in mind I only have 5 hours on the new mods and Steve said the sound is going to open up and smooth out over time. I already noticed wider, deeper and taller sound stage. Not sure how it could sound any better to be honest. Well worth the money in my opinion. Just wondering...... have you tried running your Herron with no loading plugs? If not then I suggest you try it out! Keith told me to run my VAS unloaded. I had the 1k resistors at first then removed them. What a difference it made. It sounds as if the cartridge has no limits and can breath freely.

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:14 am

Imho, a cartridge upgrade would yield the greatest improvement.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 am

+1 for a cartridge upgrade.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Proteus | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Merrill Cara | Merrill Thor (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:25 am

Thank you all. So you think the stock Prime arm is good enough that I’ll hear the improvement from a cart upgrade? How good a cart can it support? Any cart suggestions?

Thanks.
VPI Prime | Ortofon A95 | Herron VTPH-2A | Luxman590axii Integrated | KEF Reference 1 | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 3000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:26 am

Dizastical wrote:VAS wire upgrade!!!!! You will not be disappointed. My system has never sounded so good! I did the wire upgrade and had the interconnects hardwired in my junction box at the same time. The sound is incredible! Faster, tighter and more of a live in the room feel. Keep in mind I only have 5 hours on the new mods and Steve said the sound is going to open up and smooth out over time. I already noticed wider, deeper and taller sound stage. Not sure how it could sound any better to be honest. Well worth the money in my opinion. Just wondering...... have you tried running your Herron with no loading plugs? If not then I suggest you try it out! Keith told me to run my VAS unloaded. I had the 1k resistors at first then removed them. What a difference it made. It sounds as if the cartridge has no limits and can breath freely.

Dave

Thanks Dave yes I read your post about this hence my interest. Glad it’s working out so well for you!
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:47 pm

Dorian wrote:Thank you all. So you think the stock Prime arm is good enough that I’ll hear the improvement from a cart upgrade? How good a cart can it support? Any cart suggestions?

Thanks.

It's good enough for any compatible cartridge you'd like to use. Here's some suggestions:
1. Soundsmith SG-200 Strain Gauge (my dream cartridge/system)
2. Van Den Hul Crimson Stradavarius XGW (VPI distributes VdH in US. I can loan you mine to try)
3. Audio Technica ART1000 (HW absolutely love the ART1000)
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Proteus | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Merrill Cara | Merrill Thor (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Golear » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 am

3DR arm.
Golear

Postby Dorian » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:01 pm

Well I just picked this up. Will let you all know how it sounds!

http://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa9d ... cartridges
Dorian

Postby jpb6061 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Absolutely love my Ortofon MC A90.... Curious and jealous to know what you hear when you get it dialed in!!!

I don't think you will be disappointed.

JB
jpb6061

Next

Return to General Audio