Speaker Feet Questions

Re: Speaker Feet Questions

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 am

Drew769 wrote:It’s not the vibrations that affect the sound of the speakers. It’s the loss of energy from the speaker itself as it reproduces sound. The speaker cones are moving air, remember. So imagine a boxer punching his opponent. In the instance that the boxer lands a solid blow to his opponent standing still, he gets the maximum impact for his punch. Now, if the opponent moves backwards as he is being punched, that reduces the amount of energy being transferred to his body (lessened the blow). Similarly, If the speaker is trying to “punch” the air, but the speaker has some give because of vibration dampers in the feet, it reduces the impact, blurs the image, ruins ruins your detail and imaging.

+1 on calling Richard Vandersteen. Great guy. If you are in NJ you could also call John Ruttan at Audio Connection. He is a set up genius.

Hello Drew:

I took your advise and went to the Ask Richard section of Vandersteen web site and wouldn't you know it one of the first questions was about cushions under the spikes. What a coincidence. Well with that said I read Richards excellent response. So last night I removed spikes and went direct to concrete and sound was VERY Pleasing. Good detail and texture, certainly did no harm to remove the Herbies. Iinitially had Herbies under spikes a couple of houses ago when I was on wood floor and I think I left them there under subsequent moves out of habit. I will move forward and give good listen with spikes on concrete and move my Ultra SS to one of my components:0)

Thank You Soo Much for excellent guidance.

Best,

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Re: Speaker Feet Questions

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Hello Guys:

I have done good research on using the spikes and I understand the science behind it. I have also talked extensively with Stillpoints Tech. With that said I have done many A/B on the same songs with Stillpoint Ultra SS vs Spikes. In my system there is clearly a lowering of noise floor and more dynamic sound with Stillpoints. After speaking with Stillpoint tech I now understand that the Stillpoints are removing resonances and this is the extra clarity I am hearing. Now with that said when I use the spikes there is NOTHING wrong with the sound and it is excellent. When I use the Ultra SS I have the previously mentioned improvements. So in conclusion +1 for Stillpoint Ultra SS under the Vandersteen 3A's on concrete floor. I also very much appreciate all excellent responses and information provided by everyone:0) Just my $0.02

Mike In Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Previous

Return to General Audio