Speaker Feet Questions

Speaker Feet Questions

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 pm

Hello Guys:

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3A Sigs that are using the Sound Anchors. I am on a concrete floor. I have generally noticed that I do not like the sound when I attach the spikes and rest them directly on concrete floor. I use some Herbies Audio feet that are made to receive spikes and I rest the spikes in there. I recently put on Stillpoint Ultra SS instead of spikes and Herbies. It seems clear to me that there seems to be more energy and punch in the music. It does not seem like I have lost any clarity of definition. May I ask if anyone has this experience with Stillpoints being used as speaker feet? Curious for any and all feedback.What or why does there seem to be more punch to the music???

Mike In Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Re: Speaker Feet Questions

Postby Brf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Mike, are using the T shaped or the Tilt back Sound Anchor stands? Without the stands you might be getting more bass reinforcement from the floor. I know a lot of people who use Stillpoints with great results, however, similar results can be achieved by the much less expensive IsoAcoustics Gaia footers.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:07 pm

Brf wrote:Mike, are using the T shaped or the Tilt back Sound Anchor stands? Without the stands you might be getting more bass reinforcement from the floor. I know a lot of people who use Stillpoints with great results, however, similar results can be achieved by the much less expensive IsoAcoustics Gaia footers.

Hello BRF, yes I am using the Tilt Back Sound Anchors. I apply Stillpoints to bottom of them. The sound is good I was just wondering what mechanism caused the increased energy of the music. I think the background is also blacker.

Best,

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Drew769 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:27 pm

Vandersteen has some pretty extreme views when it comes to the feet on a speaker. The goal is not isolation - the goal is to create the most solid connection to the floor as possible, eliminating all movement. His example is to imagine you are trying to hammer a horse shoe - would you want to hammer it out on a sturdy work bench, or on a muddy ground? Every little bit of movement the speaker is allowed affects (dulls) the detail and smears the image.

I use 3” thick granite slabs under my Vandersteen Model 5As, which dramatically affected the sound on my hard wood floors. With the impact these speakers are capable of, the floors were actually moving and bearing the image a bit. The granite tightened everything up and the image snapped into focus. Not all that expensive, either, as long as you get them from a tool wholesaler ( they are made to align microscopes and the like) and not the ones that Vandersteen sells (I think he charges $10k for a specially made pair - I paid around $500).

The dampened feet may give more bass (as would standing the speaker directly on the floor), but it’s at the expense of accuracy, imagining and detail.
Attachments
81D45FDC-83ED-40DE-BF77-E5D8970280EE.jpeg
81D45FDC-83ED-40DE-BF77-E5D8970280EE.jpeg (790.35 KiB) Viewed 679 times
VPI Aries 3D
Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner
Vandersteen 5A
Aesthetix Pallene
Quicksilver V4 Monoblocks
Modwright PH 9.0
VAS MC-ONE SUT
Ortofon Cadenza Black
VAS Nova Ultimate Reference
Rega Planet 2000
Sony HAP Z1ES
EMM Labs DAC2X
Bluesound Node 2i
Drew769

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:43 pm

Drew769 wrote:Vandersteen has some pretty extreme views when it comes to the feet on a speaker. The goal is not isolation - the goal is to create the most solid connection to the floor as possible, eliminating all movement. His example is to imagine you are trying to hammer a horse shoe - would you want to hammer it out on a sturdy work bench, or on a muddy ground? Every little bit of movement the speaker is allowed affects (dulls) the detail and smears the image.

I use 3” thick granite slabs under my Vandersteen Model 5As, which dramatically affected the sound on my hard wood floors. With the impact these speakers are capable of, the floors were actually moving and bearing the image a bit. The granite tightened everything up and the image snapped into focus. Not all that expensive, either, as long as you get them from a tool wholesaler ( they are made to align microscopes and the like) and not the ones that Vandersteen sells (I think he charges $10k for a specially made pair - I paid around $500).

The dampened feet may give more bass (as would standing the speaker directly on the floor), but it’s at the expense of accuracy, imagining and detail.

Hello Drew769, this is Extremely interesting. I will experiment with spikes directly on concrete floor. My previous floor was tile and maybe that colored music. I will remove Herbies Audio Spike protectors and go direct to concrete, thanks again for insight.

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:53 pm

Drew769 wrote:Vandersteen has some pretty extreme views when it comes to the feet on a speaker. The goal is not isolation - the goal is to create the most solid connection to the floor as possible, eliminating all movement. His example is to imagine you are trying to hammer a horse shoe - would you want to hammer it out on a sturdy work bench, or on a muddy ground? Every little bit of movement the speaker is allowed affects (dulls) the detail and smears the image.

One additional point to consider is when my AC is on the walls vibrate a little, can that vibration effect speakers spiked to floor. Whereas the Herbies might have isolated speaker or Stillpoints May isolate speaker?

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Postby Stringreen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:12 pm

I have Vandersteen 5A speakers and tried the Herbies instead of the Vandersteen spikes.. They absolutely ruined the sound of my speakers....sent them back and put the speakers back on the spikes. My speakers are on Travertine tile flooring.
Stringreen

Postby Stringreen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:14 pm

..just another thought....Richard Vandersteen is always anxious to help with their speakers. Call him at the factory...if he's not available at that time, I'm sure he'll call you back. He's called me many times.
Stringreen

Postby Drew769 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:31 am

It’s not the vibrations that affect the sound of the speakers. It’s the loss of energy from the speaker itself as it reproduces sound. The speaker cones are moving air, remember. So imagine a boxer punching his opponent. In the instance that the boxer lands a solid blow to his opponent standing still, he gets the maximum impact for his punch. Now, if the opponent moves backwards as he is being punched, that reduces the amount of energy being transferred to his body (lessened the blow). Similarly, If the speaker is trying to “punch” the air, but the speaker has some give because of vibration dampers in the feet, it reduces the impact, blurs the image, ruins ruins your detail and imaging.

+1 on calling Richard Vandersteen. Great guy. If you are in NJ you could also call John Ruttan at Audio Connection. He is a set up genius.
VPI Aries 3D
Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner
Vandersteen 5A
Aesthetix Pallene
Quicksilver V4 Monoblocks
Modwright PH 9.0
VAS MC-ONE SUT
Ortofon Cadenza Black
VAS Nova Ultimate Reference
Rega Planet 2000
Sony HAP Z1ES
EMM Labs DAC2X
Bluesound Node 2i
Drew769

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:31 am

Stringreen wrote:I have Vandersteen 5A speakers and tried the Herbies instead of the Vandersteen spikes.. They absolutely ruined the sound of my speakers....sent them back and put the speakers back on the spikes. My speakers are on Travertine tile flooring.

Hello Stringreen, Thank You Soo Much!

I was looking back and reflecting on why I had them to begin with and I remembered I initially had a wood floor and I was using them to protect the spike from damaging the floor. I believe in subsequent moves I just kept them three out of habit. Last night I removed them and went directly to concrete and sound was very good. So for "No Harm No Foul":0).

Best,

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Next

Return to General Audio