VAS Nova Signature Setup

Re: VAS Nova Signature Setup

Postby Dizastical » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Keith Herron thinks that the signal going from the Herron to the Amp, may be too high for the amp to handle, and may be clipping. To test this theory, he suggested the following... Use the MM input of the phono stage instead of the MC. Flip the switch to MM. This will send a lower signal to the input on the amp so I will obviously need to raise the volume on the amp. He said I will definitely hear some floor noise but this is just to test the clipping. Play an LP that has the distortion/clipping at a normal listening level. If the distortion/clipping is gone then the MC output signal from the Herron to the amp is too high for the amp to handle. I then would need to swap out the V1 and V3 tubes to 12AT7s. This will lower the output gain a little and should fix the problem. I already ordered the tubes from Tube Depot so I can have them on hand if this is the problem. I'll let you guys know the results of the test tonight. I have the tubes coming overnight so I can start enjoying music again! Sometimes this hobby drives me crazy, haha.

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Fishflood » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:02 pm

Hopefully that solves it!

BTW, I recently purchased a mintLP alignment protractor which gave me the same 1mm adjustment you got and I didn't notice any difference in the sound at all, which of course the VPI manual predicts when it says don't kill yourself over alignment.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Brf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:25 pm

Dizastical wrote:Keith Herron thinks that the signal going from the Herron to the Amp, may be too high for the amp to handle, and may be clipping. To test this theory, he suggested the following... Use the MM input of the phono stage instead of the MC. Flip the switch to MM. This will send a lower signal to the input on the amp so I will obviously need to raise the volume on the amp. He said I will definitely hear some floor noise but this is just to test the clipping. Play an LP that has the distortion/clipping at a normal listening level. If the distortion/clipping is gone then the MC output signal from the Herron to the amp is too high for the amp to handle. I then would need to swap out the V1 and V3 tubes to 12AT7s. This will lower the output gain a little and should fix the problem. I already ordered the tubes from Tube Depot so I can have them on hand if this is the problem. I'll let you guys know the results of the test tonight. I have the tubes coming overnight so I can start enjoying music again! Sometimes this hobby drives me crazy, haha.

Dave

Dave, a bit of a long shot but you are plugging the outputs of the Herron into your Musical Fidelity M6si phono input?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Brf wrote:
Dizastical wrote:Keith Herron thinks that the signal going from the Herron to the Amp, may be too high for the amp to handle, and may be clipping. To test this theory, he suggested the following... Use the MM input of the phono stage instead of the MC. Flip the switch to MM. This will send a lower signal to the input on the amp so I will obviously need to raise the volume on the amp. He said I will definitely hear some floor noise but this is just to test the clipping. Play an LP that has the distortion/clipping at a normal listening level. If the distortion/clipping is gone then the MC output signal from the Herron to the amp is too high for the amp to handle. I then would need to swap out the V1 and V3 tubes to 12AT7s. This will lower the output gain a little and should fix the problem. I already ordered the tubes from Tube Depot so I can have them on hand if this is the problem. I'll let you guys know the results of the test tonight. I have the tubes coming overnight so I can start enjoying music again! Sometimes this hobby drives me crazy, haha.

Dave

Dave, a bit of a long shot but you are plugging the outputs of the Herron into your Musical Fidelity M6si phono input?

No sir. I use the AUX in on the M6Si.
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:11 pm

Dave, do you get the distortion if you bypass the Herron and use the internal mc phono stage on M6si?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Another not so good update:

- Adjusted VTF to 1.85 per Steve’s request. No change.

- Ran turntable though the MM input on the Herron. No change.

- Added and removed some anti skate. No change.

- Bypassed Herron and ran turntable direct to MC phono input on amp. No change.

I guess I got a bad cartridge or my alignment is off, even after 3 tries with 2 different protractors. I’m pretty good at aligning cartridges and have had lots of success with every one I’ve aligned except this one. Which leads me to believe I have a bad cartridge. Pretty bummed out at the moment and feeling very defeated. Maybe I should have bought the Dynavector XX2-MKII.

Dave
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear about your cartridge issue. I’m sure Steve will make it right. The Dyna XX2 is a very nice back up plan should you decide to go another direction.
Brf
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Audio