VAS Nova Signature Setup

Re: VAS Nova Signature Setup

Postby Dizastical » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:29 am

It played perfectly with my zephyr III. It was the last LP I listened to before I swapped cartridges.
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am

Well, it would appear you are doing all the correct steps to finding a solution. Let us know how you make out with the realignment.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Steve said he has had poor results with the Feickert protractor. He referee me to a Dennesen protractor that he likes to use. He said I could also use the vpi jig to get better results. I’m guess I’m going to try that today. I’ll report back my findings. I did notice when I installed the cartridge, that my pivot spike was not very sharp anymore. Vpi sent me out a new one. I’ll go check the mail box today and see if it’s here. Maybe there is something going on there? I don’t feel any free play in the interface between the spike and bearing cup but who knows. All I know is it’s definitely rounded at the tip.

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby thegage » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:58 pm

Dizastical wrote:I did notice when I installed the cartridge, that my pivot spike was not very sharp anymore. Vpi sent me out a new one. I’ll go check the mail box today and see if it’s here. Maybe there is something going on there? I don’t feel any free play in the interface between the spike and bearing cup but who knows. All I know is it’s definitely rounded at the tip.

Dave

I had the same issue with distortion, and as far as I could tell it ended up being a bad spike. I got a new one and the distortion was resolved. I hope you have the same success.

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, SDS, Grado Reference 3 wood, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

Postby Dizastical » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info JohnK! After reading what you wrote I decided that I’m going to wait until I get the new pivot spike. I am very confident in my alignment. I checked it again and it was perfect. Instead of making any big changes, I decided to remove the 1k resistors and let the cartridge run wide open. Keith Herron had told me to run it without any resistors. Brf said he runs his Herron without as well. This did not fix my random distortion problem. But! Wow did it let this cartridge breath! I put on Brubeck, A Cut Above, and I was blown away! The sound was amazing! Hopefully I can track down and fix this issue soon so I can hear the full potential of this cartridge.

Dave
Dizastical

Postby Dizastical » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 am

thegage wrote:
Dizastical wrote:I did notice when I installed the cartridge, that my pivot spike was not very sharp anymore. Vpi sent me out a new one. I’ll go check the mail box today and see if it’s here. Maybe there is something going on there? I don’t feel any free play in the interface between the spike and bearing cup but who knows. All I know is it’s definitely rounded at the tip.

Dave

I had the same issue with distortion, and as far as I could tell it ended up being a bad spike. I got a new one and the distortion was resolved. I hope you have the same success.

JohnK

JohnK

Can you please explain what you mean by you having a "bad spike"? Just wondering what exactly was wrong with it. Hopefully I see the new spike in the mail today.

Thanks again,
Dave
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 am

Dizastical wrote:
thegage wrote:

Dave

JohnK

JohnK

Can you please explain what you mean by you having a "bad spike"? Just wondering what exactly was wrong with it. Hopefully I see the new spike in the mail today.

Thanks again,
Dave

I'll let JohnK chime in on his experience, but IMHO, the only issues with a spike can be as follows:

1) loose in the its mount
2) dull
3) bent or off vertical
4) developed a burr

If you have any of the above, also check the female bearing cup for any scoring etc.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:03 pm

is the female bearing available to purchase? I should probably just replace both so I can start out with fresh parts.

Dave
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 pm

Dizastical wrote:is the female bearing available to purchase? I should probably just replace both so I can start out with fresh parts.

Dave

Yes, it can purchased separately
Brf
Site Admin

Postby thegage » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm

Dizastical wrote:
thegage wrote:

Dave

JohnK

JohnK

Thanks again,
Dave

I bought the arm/mount used, so who knows what had happened to it before I got it, but the spike looked slightly rounded and didn't sit fully in the female bearing. I did also order a female bearing, but just replaced the spike first, and that fixed it.

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, SDS, Grado Reference 3 wood, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio