Schumann Resonance gizmo

Re: Schumann Resonance gizmo

Postby tunerculin » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:43 pm

I put mine on top of the speakers. My $35 Amazon's battery lasts for weeks before needing a charge.
tunerculin

Postby Ducky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Stringreen wrote:Exactly.....I really don't understand how an amplifier can do its job, yet, I have a stereo amp that I gladly use almost every day.

You may not know how an amplifier works, but you do understand what it does (it amplifies line level signals up to a higher level with the ability to drive 8 Ohm speakers) and basic specs about it (power, distortion, frequency response etc.). These are easily understood by any of us novices.

When I looked at the SRs available on Amazon (and other places), they all looked basically the same and something just didn't seem right to me. I bought one and they are easily understood. They use a NE555 timer IC to generate a 7.5Hz square wave that is amplified up to 5VPP by a single transistor and is fed to a long spiral trace on the board. The spiral trace that some surmised was an antenna is really just a wire wound resistor of 6.8 Ohms. The peak power is ~3.5W.

The spiral trace is what really had me scratching my head. While it might act like an antenna at a high enough frequency, I had some serious doubts that it could be an effective antenna at 7.5Hz. A little math proved I was right. An effective antenna is one that is 1/4 wavelength or some multiple of that. Wavelength=C/F where C is the speed of electricity (186,000 miles/second) and F is frequency (7.5Hz). So a quarter wave antenna would need to be ~6000 miles long. There are 51 loops of PCB trace with an average diameter of 1.5" so the length of the conductor on the PCB is ~20 feet so it needs to be 1.5 million times longer. I measured it with an Ohmmeter and it was just under 7 Ohms. I also have an LCR meter and it measures ~80µH, very low. It would require a 40 Farad capacitor to resonate at 7.5Hz. Judging from the size of the "supercaps" used in car stereo installations (1-2 F) a 40F cap would be about the size of a trash can.

What you have is a low frequency digital noise generator. :lol:

Before anyone asks, I did put it in my listening room and I could not hear any difference.
Ducky

Postby Stringreen » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:47 pm

Ducky....I don't care what you write...only that it adds enormously to my system. Either you have a sub standard system, or your ears are faulty.
Stringreen

Postby Brf » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:29 am

Stringreen wrote:Ducky....I don't care what you write...only that it adds enormously to my system. Either you have a sub standard system, or your ears are faulty.

Sorry Stringreen, I’m with Ducky on this one. I tried three SR in my system over this past week and could not discern any difference, good or bad. I don’t doubt your experience, it’s just that my experience aligned with Ducky’s. Amazon took back the SR, therefore, no harm no foul.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby LarryRS » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 pm

The bolded segments below are the only parts of the post that impart any information. The rest serves no purpose other than to antagonize.

Ducky....I don't care what you write...only that it adds enormously to my system. Either you have a sub standard system, or your ears are faulty.
VPI Prime/Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star/VAS Nova Signature/PS Audio Stellar Phono/PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp/BHK Signature 300 monoblocks/Magneplanar 3.7i
VPI Prime/Hana ML/Denon 103R/Bob's Sky/JC3 Jr./ARC LS28SE/BHK Signature 250/Magneplanar 1.7i
LarryRS

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:48 pm

Ducky might, I suppose, have faulty hearing, but faulty “ears”, which I think is a cruel assertion, is another matter entirely. As an aside, actual ducks do not have “ears” as we do, but instead have small holes that are auditory receptors covered by feathers, but I don’t think they could be considered faulty either. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby madrac » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:49 pm

LarryRS wrote:The bolded segments below are the only parts of the post that impart any information. The rest serves no purpose other than to antagonize.

+1
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby Stringreen » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:14 pm

...just to add that my last sentence was just being a wise guy that I sensed what ducky was in his post. To be sure, these things made a difference in my system, as my wife and neighbor confirmed, as they scratched their heads....All I really needed was my ears.
Stringreen

Previous

Return to General Audio