12” FatBoy vs 12” 3D Reference Arm comparison

Re: 12” FatBoy vs 12” 3D Reference Arm comparison

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 pm

madrac wrote:Hi Mike
Congrats on the coming new tonearm. Curious, why unipivot over gimbal? (I'm considering moving from 3d to fatboy)

Hello Madrac, I choose Uni because I perceive it to be quieter than Gimbal due to no bearings. Though I am sure the bearings are quite excellent. But this is only an assumption. But also I think it will be easier to adjust azimuth in Uni vs Gimballed.

Mike in Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:34 pm

Brf wrote:
Lewisranchmike wrote:
Brf wrote:Mike, did you order the Uni or Gimbal?

Hello BRF, I ordered the Uni. Also I am VERY MUCH looking forward to the new micrometer like counter weight. I also understand I need a new arm rest???

Mike in Austin

Yes, you will need a new arm rest but I think it comes with one. Also, ask your dealer to make sure that your Fatboy comes with the additional counter weight plate that attaches to the main counter weight. This will give you more options with cartridges of varying weights. Don’t forget the optional second pivot, imho, it makes setup so much easier plus the benefit of improved performance.

AWSOME BRF I will check for additional Counter weight plate. For the Dual pivot I must admit I have been very shy about attempting that upgrade. I know this seems weird but I am a little intimidated about getting it set up and correct. Maybe after I get used to new arm I will give it a try:0)

Best,

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby VinBob » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Still shy here too and I have had mine for over two years!!! Have been in touch with VPI several times to hopefully get a video on how to properly install but not getting far. I am told to just follow the instructions but I know there is more to getting it ‘right’ and not cause damage to the plate etc.- they seem to be missing that point...

I am also skeptical about using it and Steve Leung swears that it’s best without. But I will eventually give it a try and see how much better things sound - assuming I set it up correct :D

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby thegage » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:30 pm

I went from the 12 3D unipivot to a Fatboy 12 Gimbal. I see no issues with additional noise. The Gimbal may be slightly less open in the midrange and treble, but I wouldn't swear by it. In any case the ability to set and forget azimuth while not worrying about the 2nd pivot sealed the deal for me.

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, SDS, Grado Reference 3 wood, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:57 pm

thegage wrote:I went from the 12 3D unipivot to a Fatboy 12 Gimbal. I see no issues with additional noise. The Gimbal may be slightly less open in the midrange and treble, but I wouldn't swear by it. In any case the ability to set and forget azimuth while not worrying about the 2nd pivot sealed the deal for me.

JohnK

Hello John, May I ask for some advice? You mentioned set and forget azimuth, May I ask how you adjust azimuth? I simply do not know how it is achieved on Gimballed, is there some way to adjust azimuth?

Best,

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Postby 930turbo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 pm

VinBob wrote:Still shy here too and I have had mine for over two years!!! Have been in touch with VPI several times to hopefully get a video on how to properly install but not getting far. I am told to just follow the instructions but I know there is more to getting it ‘right’ and not cause damage to the plate etc.- they seem to be missing that point...

I am also skeptical about using it and Steve Leung swears that it’s best without. But I will eventually give it a try and see how much better things sound - assuming I set it up correct :D

Cheers,
Vin.

Ive tried the Fatboy 12' unipivot w/o the dual pivot modification , it sounds thin & anemic in my system w /regards to the lower miss and the bass . but when I installed the dual pivot the bass has more authority and weight . Vocals are no longer thin w/a thicker texture more palpable .Highs are not that extended .this I tried w/my Benz Micro Gullwing SLR .I did not use the A/S .
VPI TNT 6,Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X FatBoy uni 12,Lyra Kleos,ARC REF Annv 40 line ,REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A
930turbo

Postby thegage » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:15 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:Hello John, May I ask for some advice? You mentioned set and forget azimuth, May I ask how you adjust azimuth? I simply do not know how it is achieved on Gimballed, is there some way to adjust azimuth?

Best,

Mike

There are two set screws on the side of the metal part of the tonearm where the Fatboy wand is set in. You loosen the two screws to rotate the wand as necessary. I know there is much discussion of it on the site, primarily because there sometimes is "stiction" the first time you try to rotate the wand.

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, SDS, Grado Reference 3 wood, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

Postby madrac » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 am

Lewisranchmike wrote:
madrac wrote:Hi Mike
Congrats on the coming new tonearm. Curious, why unipivot over gimbal? (I'm considering moving from 3d to fatboy)

Hello Madrac, I choose Uni because I perceive it to be quieter than Gimbal due to no bearings. Though I am sure the bearings are quite excellent. But this is only an assumption. But also I think it will be easier to adjust azimuth in Uni vs Gimballed.

Mike in Austin

Thanks, Mike
Robert in Houston
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby madrac » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:13 am

thegage wrote:I went from the 12 3D unipivot to a Fatboy 12 Gimbal. I see no issues with additional noise. The Gimbal may be slightly less open in the midrange and treble, but I wouldn't swear by it. In any case the ability to set and forget azimuth while not worrying about the 2nd pivot sealed the deal for me.

JohnK

Good input... thanks, John.
I'm leaning towards the Gimbal, as well. I don't want to mess with the second pivot, either.
R
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby Lewisranchmike » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:34 pm

thegage wrote:
Lewisranchmike wrote:Hello John, May I ask for some advice? You mentioned set and forget azimuth, May I ask how you adjust azimuth? I simply do not know how it is achieved on Gimballed, is there some way to adjust azimuth?

Best,

Mike

There are two set screws on the side of the metal part of the tonearm where the Fatboy wand is set in. You loosen the two screws to rotate the wand as necessary. I know there is much discussion of it on the site, primarily because there sometimes is "stiction" the first time you try to rotate the wand.

JohnK

Hello JohnK, thank you I did not know this, now I understand.

Best,

Mike
Lewisranchmike

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio