12” FatBoy vs 12” 3D Reference Arm comparison

Re: 12” FatBoy vs 12” 3D Reference Arm comparison

Postby madrac » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Hi Mike
Wondering if you've received & installed your FatBoy? If so, initial thoughts vis-a-vis the 3D arm?
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby Stringreen » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 pm

The 2nd pivot install is not hard at all....makes azimuth setup easy and stable. Use Fozgometer with its test record....use a brand new battery as well.
Stringreen

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:27 pm

madrac wrote:Hi Mike
Wondering if you've received & installed your FatBoy? If so, initial thoughts vis-a-vis the 3D arm?

Hello Madrac, it was supposed to arrive yesterday which was updated to today which has now been updated to pending. FedEx is doing its best with all the oddball weather. Hopefully will be here soon:0)

Mike unfreezing in Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby madrac » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 am

thanks, Mike.
Hope you made it through the bad weather in Austin. Lots of shipments were delayed here as well.

Our power was only out for extended period on Monday (like 8 AM to 10:30 PM). Did have a brief outage (maybe an hour or so) later in the week (probably rolling blackouts).

Robert
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby Lewisranchmike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:51 pm

madrac wrote:thanks, Mike.
Hope you made it through the bad weather in Austin. Lots of shipments were delayed here as well.

Our power was only out for extended period on Monday (like 8 AM to 10:30 PM). Did have a brief outage (maybe an hour or so) later in the week (probably rolling blackouts).

Robert

It was brutal here, no power for 3 days with temp outside in the single digits. We have foam insulation which I highly recommend. No water for days. But today is a beautiful day and we got water and power back a few days ago. Also arm has now moved inside Illinois. There is hope:0)

Mike in Austin
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), Fat Boy Unipivot, VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility interconnects, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Lewisranchmike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:00 pm

Hello Guys

I finally received FatBoy. It had a wonderful long trip through Illinois:0)

I have completed an initial setup using Mint Protractor, you know to the extent where you are trying to make fractions on millimeter adjustments. Fozgometer reading fairly well etc.

TIPS
1) There is no manual on the website but you can find setup instructions contained within HW40 manual.
2) You have to switch out tonearm rest for larger one that is supplied
3) Counterweight comes in 2 sections, a 3 segmented section that goes on first and then the smaller 1 segment section that attaches at the end with 2 screws
4) You will find the arm no longer reaches the lifter/cueing device. There is supplied a small black plastic cylinder that fits into bottom of tonearm at the spot that would ordinary touch the rest for the lifter/cueing device. I had to apply some Superglue to affix it to the spot provided.
5) Side weights are initially tight but remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. Once you get them loose they move very smoothly.

OBSERVATIONS
1) Build quality is EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE! This arm is a BEAUTIFUL work of ART!
2) The counterweight dial for adjusting weight is worth the price of the arm by itself. It was SUPER EASY to float arm for AS(anti-skate)check. I pulled arm over to center and it beautifully floated back. Well done with Lemo connector tension. I am not a fan of using mechanical AS, I just like to let Lemo connector tension do it’s thing.
3) Super easy to dial in correct weight. This is again AWSOME!

MUSICAL THOUGHTS
Over the years I have found two types of upgrades. First is the kind you get when you upgrade a preamp. For instance going from Ref3 to REF5. You get a lot of detail and clarity improvements. The other type of upgrade is one of firming up the fundamental structure of the sound you are listening too. This is like when I got the Periphery Ring. It was a great upgrade that took uncertainty out of the music that you did not realize was in there until it was gone. My impressions are the FatBoy is some of the first kind and more of the second kind. The music is more solid or more full. It’s like a house built with 6”wood walls vs a house built with concrete walls. I am sorry but that is the best way I can describe it.
I usually start my sound check out with Supertramp Even in the Quietest moments and usually it take a couple songs and I notice the preamp has warmed up, well as soon as needle hit the album it sounded like it had warmed up already. Next, I listen to a favorite 200g copy of Genesis Selling England by the pound and I was shocked. It is always AWSOME but this time it was STUNNING. What you initially notice is that the musicians are more present in the room and the music has for the want of a better word more force and solidity. Also this is a very quiet arm, very black background. Moved on to Fleetwood Mac Rumors and found great quality of overall sound detail. It really does bring voice and instruments into the room with you.

So these are initial comments after first pass setup and a few albums.

Best,

Mike in Austin
Lewisranchmike

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:07 am

It’s always nice when an upgrade exceeds expectations. Did your Fatboy come with the additional counterweight plate and did you need it to balance the arm/cartridge?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Lewisranchmike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:03 pm

Brf wrote:It’s always nice when an upgrade exceeds expectations. Did your Fatboy come with the additional counterweight plate and did you need it to balance the arm/cartridge?

Hello BRF, This is an excellent question. I installed the larger counterweight and it seemed like I was having an issue getting arm to float so I attached the other weight. Is it not optional? Should I have been able to level with just the larger weight. The additional weight seems to "complete" the counterweight assembly, is it possible to level arm with just the larger weight?

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 775 times
Lewisranchmike

Postby Lewisranchmike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 pm

Brf wrote:It’s always nice when an upgrade exceeds expectations. Did your Fatboy come with the additional counterweight plate and did you need it to balance the arm/cartridge?

Hello BRF, I just did a sanity check and took second weight off and there is no way I could float arm with just the larger counterweight, I definitely needed the second piece of the counterweight to float arm and adjust. Is There a "third" part to counterweight for additional needs?

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Postby thegage » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:Is There a "third" part to counterweight for additional needs?

Mike

Yes, when I asked for the upgraded counterweight (my original one didn't have the option to add plates) it was shipped with two plates. Perhaps they've changed things?

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, SDS, Grado Reference 3 wood, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio