Loricraft PCR-4

Re: Loricraft PCR-4

Postby theeng » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:56 am

Do not use Liquinox in the Degritter or ILFOTOL. The Degritter has a design weakness because of how it pumps-down and refills - the pump appears to cavitate at some points making it susceptible to foam. There is an extensive thread over at Steve Hoffman, and those in the the US a good cleaning solution is 2.5% IPA + 0.008% of Tergitol 15-S-9. This gives excellent wetting (but not much detergency) and being very low residue can get by without a rinse. But if you are cleaning dirty records - pre-clean with a vacuum-RCM is a good process. Will the Degritter get you a cleaner record that you get using a VPI with Liquinox pre-clean, rinse, ILFOTOL (or Tergitol 15-S-9) final clean, rinse - do not think so. But, you cannot argue the ease of use and convenience of the Degritter.

For those in the EU/UK, Dehypon LS54 is a substitute for Tergitol 15-S-9 that they can buy, but for the Degritter you would use at 0.005% https://conservation-resources.co.uk/products/dehypon.
theeng

Postby Packgrog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am

theeng wrote:Do not use Liquinox in the Degritter or ILFOTOL. The Degritter has a design weakness because of how it pumps-down and refills - the pump appears to cavitate at some points making it susceptible to foam. There is an extensive thread over at Steve Hoffman, and those in the the US a good cleaning solution is 2.5% IPA + 0.008% of Tergitol 15-S-9. This gives excellent wetting (but not much detergency) and being very low residue can get by without a rinse. But if you are cleaning dirty records - pre-clean with a vacuum-RCM is a good process. Will the Degritter get you a cleaner record that you get using a VPI with Liquinox pre-clean, rinse, ILFOTOL (or Tergitol 15-S-9) final clean, rinse - do not think so. But, you cannot argue the ease of use and convenience of the Degritter.

For those in the EU/UK, Dehypon LS54 is a substitute for Tergitol 15-S-9 that they can buy, but for the Degritter you would use at 0.005% https://conservation-resources.co.uk/products/dehypon.

Yeah, thanks for that clarification. I was *NOT* recommending using Liquinox or Ilfotol dilutions in the Degritter. Those solutions foam way too much. I was simply saying to try these fluids with a regular vacuum RCM for a significantly more cost effective and excellent cleaning result.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Harry » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm

I have to jump in here and throw in my two cents. I have tried 11 USC machines over the last 6 years from the build it yourself to the all in ones.

I now use a USC machine made in the USA that is all stainless steel, real stainless steel, (not the kind you get on Amazon for $120.00) plus a variable frequency USC sweep and a pre use cycle to remove gas from the water. I did a controlled test with two records bought from Acoustic Sounds and cleaned one on the USC machine and one on the USC machine and then the Cyclone. Both were recorded at 24-192 and when played back the noise level on the USC only machine was considerably higher. Don't get me wrong, the USC machine alone did a good job but then why do we buy expensive phono cables, expensive cartridges, etc., because a good job isn't the best job.

I can only assume that no matter what you do to remove the liquid from the cleaned record nothing removes it like the suction from the Cyclone. The better your cartridge and the finer the line contact the more you can hear this insidious low level noise that sounds like low level tube hiss but is actually dried water debris or something else we cannot see.

I will not argue that it is a joy sticking your record in machine and coming back 10 minutes later and it is done. But like H&R Block it will probably not do the best job for the most exotic people.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby tony22 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:31 am

Harry, could you be a little bit more specific on how we should do the post-USC wash and vacuuming? Just distilled water and suction? Use a brush? Let the liquid sit for a bit before suction?
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Packgrog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 am

tony22 wrote:Harry, could you be a little bit more specific on how we should do the post-USC wash and vacuuming? Just distilled water and suction? Use a brush? Let the liquid sit for a bit before suction?

Just like with washing dishes, a little gentle scrubbing while rinsing will help agitate any remaining chemicals on the disc to get it dissolved into the water, so that it can be more effectively sucked up by the vacuum.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Previous

Return to General Audio