Loricraft PCR-4

Loricraft PCR-4

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:12 pm

I currently use a VPI 16.5, with the Rushton ultrasonic cleaning method. And I certainly always hear great improvements, but it seems like those improvements might even be better, with a better rcm. So the Loricraft is on my short-list. For those who use the Loricraft, I would just like to know if it's a worthy upgrade to a bar style rcm. I'm really on the fence over buying one, and would like to hear some first-hand opinions. Thanks for any advice!
thesmurfsvillage

Re: Loricraft PCR-4

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:10 am

Great machine! Not for the impatient. Never owned one but have a lot of experience using one.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:09 pm

Thanks Brf. Not to put anyone on the spot, but can you say if you've heard an audible sound improvement after a Loricraft cleaning, vs. with a regular rcm?

Just trying to understand if it would be a big ($2k worth) jump in sound improvement over my 16.5..Unless I could hear (or not hear ; ) any noticeable improvement in silence and detail, I think my money might be better spent elsewhere.
thesmurfsvillage

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:54 pm

thesmurfsvillage wrote:Thanks Brf. Not to put anyone on the spot, but can you say if you've heard an audible sound improvement after a Loricraft cleaning, vs. with a regular rcm?

Just trying to understand if it would be a big ($2k worth) jump in sound improvement over my 16.5..Unless I could hear (or not hear ; ) any noticeable improvement in silence and detail, I think my money might be better spent elsewhere.

Yes, but if I was just starting out, I would put my money into an ultrasonic cleaner and a VPI Cyclone for about the same money as a Loricraft.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:32 am

I'm using a 16.5 with an ultrasonic cleaner now. Maybe I'll look at the Cyclone vs the Loricraft. Or maybe I should just leave well enough alone.. Anyways, thanks :)
thesmurfsvillage

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm

thesmurfsvillage wrote:… maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

Yup. You're fine as is.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Proteus | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Merrill Cara | Merrill Thor (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Fishflood » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:25 pm

The only upgrade would be just sell it all and buy a Degritter. I've made very few purchases in this hobby that were more worth the money. I went from a PRC-4 to one and I'm amazed at the difference. No benefit IME to keeping the Loricraft too because you don't need to prewash super dirty records, other than maybe a rinse with distilled water. Much easier than your Rushton ultrasonic method, so that's a plus. I'm starting to experiment with other cleaning fluids, directly applied to the LP as described by Paul Rigby.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 am

Great to know, and thanks very much!
thesmurfsvillage

Postby kurtster » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:42 am

thesmurfsvillage wrote:I'm using a 16.5 with an ultrasonic cleaner now. Maybe I'll look at the Cyclone vs the Loricraft. Or maybe I should just leave well enough alone.. Anyways, thanks :)

I've had my Cyclone now for around 4 years and experimented with many different solutions and cycles while using it for cleaning my vinyl. I read the Ultrasonic cleaning thread a couple of time. Been watching the Degritter's progress from day one over at discogs. Looked very hard at the Loricraft and Keith Monks as an upgrade and looked at what they do that others do not. It is the string that makes contact with the vinyl surface. It dislodges any stubborn particles in the groove as it rotates and vacuums.

As an experiment, I decided to let my bare finger drag across the record surface working from the inside out, in both directions since the Cyclone allows me to do that. I can feel the little particles pass under my fingertip as they are loosened by the gentle pressure. Oddly, I feel more debris on the counterclockwise rotation, which I do after the forward clockwise rotation. The record is thoroughly soaked when I do this. Do not attempt this otherwise without getting it thoroughly wet for obvious reasons.

Then I will rewet the surface and use a fine wetted microfiber cloth to hold on the surface and once again move from inside to the outside in the counterclockwise dierction. Rewet, hit it with my goat hair brush in both directions and vacuum, in both directions. This is the first of the three steps I use for cleaning. The solution I use is a Tergikleen spray first, brush in both directions then spray a 20% iso / distilled mix on top of the Tergikleen, let soak and then do the finger thing. Followed with a soak for mold release agents and then a final rinse with distilled / Ilfotol mix. I am not at all worried about the alcohol as it is on the prewetted surface just long enough to serve as a light solvent and then rinse it away almost immediately. Never let alcohol dry and evaporate before vacuuming. That is where you can get into trouble.

I really cannot imagine them getting any cleaner than they get doing this. It is messy and time consuming, but it works. I do this everytime to every side before dropping the needle. Usually after the second or third play at the most I no longer feel any grit.

Iffen I had the money, a Degritter is a no brainer for me, but I would still run it through the Cyclone this way at least once, since I already have one. US are wonderful but you cannot convince me that they get everything, especially stuff that is really tough and has been on a surface for 40 to 50 years.

Cheers !
kurtster

Postby Packgrog » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Honestly, a VPI 16.5 (or similar) with the cleaning solutions described in the Record Cleaning thread has proven to be the best bang for the buck. I stopped using ultrasonic entirely once I started using Liquinox and Ilfotol dilutions.

That said, the Degritter is a very different beast than other ultrasonic RCMs. If I had the cash, I'd love to try one. But I'd recommend at LEAST making a Liquinox dilution to use as a cleaning fluid, and distilled water for rinse, and using your existing RCM as a starting point. You may be pleasantly surprised by the results.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Next

Return to General Audio