Herron VTPH-2 tubes

Re: Herron VTPH-2 tubes

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:56 am

You are going to love the RCA 1602 tube.

I currently use a GE 5-Star 1602 in the unity gain position in my VTPH-2a. Very similar sounding tube to the RCA.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:37 am

Brf wrote:You are going to love the RCA 1602 tube.

I currently use a GE 5-Star 1602 in the unity gain position in my VTPH-2a. Very similar sounding tube to the RCA.

Thats great news! Should I purchase 2 RCA Red Tip Selected 12AX7 RCA Blackplate tubes to match these before they run out of stock? Or should I look at a different 12AX7 to replace the stock EH tubes?

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Dizastical » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:22 pm

Corucia wrote:Hi all. I recently picked up a lightly used Herron VTPH-2A to replace my Manley Chinook (which I’m moving to a secondary system). While I know that Keith discourages tube rolling, the prior owner had already swapped out the original tubes with a set of Genalex Gold Lion reissues so I figured there was no harm trying some NOS tubes to see how they might improve things.

I’m now running Telefunken 12AX7 Red Tips in the 1st gain stage, Brimar 6060 / CV4024 Yellow-Ts in the 2nd gain stage and a Telefunken ECC801S in the output stage. This tube complement definitely improved the already great performance of the unit in just about every category. The VTPH-2A still has the dead silent/black background it had with the Genalex tubes but now an even better / fantastic soundstage presentation with more layers of dimensionality and distinction between instruments. The highs are airier without sounding stringent and I’ve noticed more dynamic articulation and bass punch. Finally, I’ve found the Herron with this setup has a totally spooky organic dimensionality that is almost hard to explain. In this regard, it creams the Chinook which totally lacked this attribute. Mind you, one can debate whether ~$850 in tube upgrades is worth the improvement. From my vantage point, and given how much time I listen to music, it was a totally worthwhile investment for the various improvements but definitely a consideration.

To continue to compare and contrast things, I have on order set of EH 12AX7s and 12AT7s as well as an EI ECC81, which were the original tubes that came with the Herron. I’ll be trying these when they arrive to see how the stock set compares to the above. I’m also going to swap in a set of Telefunken ECC801S in the 2nd gain stage (on order as well) to see if they improve on the Brimar 6060 presentation. I’ll report back as my ears tell me more.

Any updates on the tube swap? I’m not loving the RCA 12AT7 tubes I just swapped in favor of the stock EH tubes. The sound has seemed to lose its impact, 3D presentation, soundstage width and height. There’s no meat to the sound. It’s definitely not as engaging. The tubes have 4 hours on them now. I’m going to let them burn in for 100 hours and listen each night as they progress. Hopefully by Friday they show their true colors good or bad.

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Dizastical » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 am

Here are the 3 tubes options Im looking at doing. Thoughts?

Option 1:
1st Stage = Telefunken 12AX7 Smooth Plate Red Tip
2nd Stage = Mullard CV4024
Output Stage = RCA12AT7WA

Option 2:
2nd Stage = Brimar 6060/CV4024 Yellow Tip
Output Stage = Telefunken ECC801S

Option 3:
2nd Stage = Mullard CV4024

Dave
Dizastical

Postby Dizastical » Sat May 01, 2021 1:31 pm

I’ve decided on the following tubes:

2nd Stage = RCA 1602 Black Plate Red Tip

The Telefunken 12AX7 tubes will be here in a few days. Adding the ECC801S to the output stage really improved things a lot! I can’t wait to hear the Telefunkens in the 1st stage.

Has anyone swapped out the fuse on their Herron? If it’s worth it I’d rather do it now so I don’t have to keep taking the Herron out of the rack numerous times.

Dave
Dizastical

Previous

Return to General Audio