Herron VTPH-2 tubes

Re: Herron VTPH-2 tubes

Postby Fishflood » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Dizastical wrote:Just spoke to Keith. Everything is normal. The high pitched noise is from the 12AT7 tubes on slots V2 and V4. Sometimes they will ring occasionally. He suggested replacing them if it gets worse. As for the noise when tapping the cassis. It’s from the internals of the tubes vibrating. Very normal and can not be heard during play. And lastly the glowing of the tubes... you will only see a slight glow from one of them. They rest are slightly glowing but have caps over them so you can’t see it. I guess my bad luck streak with my setup had me overreacting. Thanks for all your help guys! Any recommendations for new 12AT7 tubes?

Dave

Keith can sell you or direct you to the new stock 12AT7s he's recommending these days. For NOS, this is a nice discussion:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tube-rolling-the-herron-vtph-2a-phono-preamp.966458/

I ended up with Mazda 12AT7s in mine and was very happy.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Dizastical » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am

Reviving this thread. I can not tame the highs in my system. Talking to Keith, he recommended I change out my V2 and V4 tubes with long plate 12ax7 tubes instead of the short plate version which comes stock. This he’s said will soften my highs a bit. So my question is.... what the best sounding Long Plate 12ax7 I can get for the money? Thanks in advance!

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Brf » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 pm

Dizastical wrote:Reviving this thread. I can not tame the highs in my system. Talking to Keith, he recommended I change out my V2 and V4 tubes with long plate 12ax7 tubes instead of the short plate version which comes stock. This he’s said will soften my highs a bit. So my question is.... what the best sounding Long Plate 12ax7 I can get for the money? Thanks in advance!

Dave

Have you exhausted changing the cartridge stylus rake angle and phono stage loading options? Are you looking at new production tubes or vintage?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:55 pm

Brf wrote:
Dizastical wrote:Reviving this thread. I can not tame the highs in my system. Talking to Keith, he recommended I change out my V2 and V4 tubes with long plate 12ax7 tubes instead of the short plate version which comes stock. This he’s said will soften my highs a bit. So my question is.... what the best sounding Long Plate 12ax7 I can get for the money? Thanks in advance!

Dave

Have you exhausted changing the cartridge stylus rake angle and phono stage loading options? Are you looking at new production tubes or vintage?

I’ve been playing with rake angle for days now. I do not like running the Herron loaded. It constricts the sound too much compared to no loading. I’m looking for the best sound quality tubes new or vintage. My gripes are, highs too bright/etched, weak mid bass. Bass is on point so no problems there. Lowering rake angle collapses sound stage and bass gets bloated. Highs still etched. I’m looking for a 3D fluid like sound with a tiny bit softer highs and thicker mid bass.
Here are some options I found so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Mat ... 890.l49286

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-STRONG-MA ... 890.l49286

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-RCA-USA-1 ... 890.l49286

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Mat ... 890.l49286

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Matched-Pa ... 890.l49286

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby Fishflood » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Don't screw around, especially if you are worried about it sounding constrained. Just go to Brent Jessee and buy the best Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates you can afford. It's really a no brainer with the VTSP-2. Just a great sounding tube with that phono preamp. I tried to save money and was always disappointed. Until I got the Tele's I really hadn't heard the best that phono preamp could sound.

Brent is awesome. If you don't like them, you can trade them back in for something else, but I think you won't want to. Plus those tubes will outlast the unit so you don't have to replace them ever.

https://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 am

Dave, what tube type are you using in position 2 and 4? 12ax7 or 12at7? In a previous post you mention the 12at7 but in your discussion with Keith he suggests changing the 12ax7 short plate to a long plate.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dizastical » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 am

Brf wrote:Dave, what tube type are you using in position 2 and 4? 12ax7 or 12at7? In a previous post you mention the 12at7 but in your discussion with Keith he suggests changing the 12ax7 short plate to a long plate.

Sorry for the confusion. The Herron has the stock tube configuration now. V1 & V3 are 12AX7 V2 & V4 are 12AT7. Keith suggests removing the V2 & V4 12AT7's and replacing them with 12AX7 Long Plates to roll off the highs a tiny bit. At least that is what Keith told me.

Is it worth putting money into the V2 & V4 tubes if I am going to leave the other tubes stock for now?

Dave
Dizastical

Postby Dizastical » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 am

Fishflood wrote:Don't screw around, especially if you are worried about it sounding constrained. Just go to Brent Jessee and buy the best Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates you can afford. It's really a no brainer with the VTSP-2. Just a great sounding tube with that phono preamp. I tried to save money and was always disappointed. Until I got the Tele's I really hadn't heard the best that phono preamp could sound.

Brent is awesome. If you don't like them, you can trade them back in for something else, but I think you won't want to. Plus those tubes will outlast the unit so you don't have to replace them ever.

https://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm

Thanks for the link! I had no idea that place existed. I will be contacting them today to discuss my options. What a great site with a wealth of information!

Dave
Dizastical

Postby Fishflood » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 am

This is an interesting thread. There are a bunch more threads on Audiogon re:Herron VTPH2. The upgrade to the 2A if you haven't done it is totally worth the money.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/herron-vtph-2-12ax7-recommendations?highlight=vtph%2Bnos
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Dizastical » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:50 am

Fishflood wrote:This is an interesting thread. There are a bunch more threads on Audiogon re:Herron VTPH2. The upgrade to the 2A if you haven't done it is totally worth the money.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/herron-vtph-2-12ax7-recommendations?highlight=vtph%2Bnos

My unit is a VTPH-2A that I bought straight from Keith about 7 months ago. Thanks a ton for the hook up with Brent! I talked to him yesterday and explained my situation. He suggested NOT to swap the 12AT7 tubes for 12AX7. For the sound I am looking for he suggested to start by replacing all 3 12AT7 tubes with new units. Then If Im happy with the sound but want to fine tune I can swap out the 12AX7 tubes to refine everything IF needed. His suggestion based on my system and current sound is to replace all 12AT7 tubes with RCA 12AT7/6201 Black Plate Aftermarket screened "Selected Tube" RCA made for Boonton Instruments, Boonton label. Here is the description from his site:

New Old Stock Original Boonton Box. VERY Rare aftermarket instrumentation grade selected 12AT7 RCA made tubes, 1960s vintage, carefully selected for use in Boonton Instruments audio and modulation analyzers. Selected for low noise, uniform output and low microphonics for use in critical applications in Boonton industrial test equipment. RCA 6201 USA military black plate made quality, these have the Boonton part number label on the glass, and the red painted tips indicating they passed the strict Boonton testing. These make AMAZING audio tubes for hi-fi or guitar amps!

I pulled the trigger on this purchase while I was on the phone with him. I trust he knows whats best and I guess I'll find out as soon as these new tubes come in! Thanks again for the info!

Dave
Dizastical

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio