Herron VTPH-2 tubes

Re: Herron VTPH-2 tubes

Postby jmcox » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 pm

Oh, one more thing Durion, if I may, be sure and ask Koray personally about what he has in stock because I've found over the years that what he has on the website in a particular tube type is sometimes far less than what he has available for sale.
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, Miyajima Zero/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4SUT/Herron VTPH-2A/Primaluna Dialogue Premium pre/McIntosh MC40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all signal cables/Cullen Crossover II power, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Postby Fishflood » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 am

Late to this but as a long time Herron VTSP-2 owner (until recently) I found that you can't beat Telefunken Smooth Plate 12AX7s and Mazda 12AT7s, although I definitely liked whatever the 12AT7 NOS (I forgot now) Keith put in that third position and often went back to it, although the Mazda sounded really good too.

Great unit. So sad to part with it but so happy to find someone that needed to get rid of their Lamm LP2 fast and reasonable. I still have Keith's M1A amps. Can't imagine I'll ever be able to afford amp that better them.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Dizastical » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:26 am

This is off topic but I figured I’d ask fellow Herron VTPH-2A owners here instead of starting a new thread.

Last night while listening at my reference level for about an hour, I heard a high pitch ringing sound coming from the speakers once the LP was done. It fluctuates with the volume. I could even hear it over quiet passages on the LP. Turns out it’s coming from the Herron. I left the volume at reference level with no LP playing and went to move my Herron slightly to see if something was loose on the plugs in rear. When I moved it I heard a sound I can only describe as loose filaments in a burnt out light bulb. The noise was still there. So I looked in through the vents and noticed that one the middle two tubes were emitting light. The tubes on the far right and left were out. I currently have a mm cartridge so I’m not using the mc portion of the Herron. Not sure if this is why they were not lit? I’m new to tubes so I apologize if I’m way off here. After turning the Herron off for 30 min then back on and at reference level with no LP playing, the high pitch ringing was gone. But if I gently tap the Herron I can hear through my tweeters the broken filament sound still. Should I be concerned? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby gene9p » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:41 pm

the crackling sound is probably static electricity.As far as the ringing sound I will let the owners chime in here. My own personal experience with tubes is that they can cause a bit of ringing to sound.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT, CLASSIC 3 ARM, HW-40 feet
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
McINTOSH C2300
Parasound A21
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Triode Wire Labs + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby Brf » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Dizastical wrote:This is off topic but I figured I’d ask fellow Herron VTPH-2A owners here instead of starting a new thread.

Last night while listening at my reference level for about an hour, I heard a high pitch ringing sound coming from the speakers once the LP was done. It fluctuates with the volume. I could even hear it over quiet passages on the LP. Turns out it’s coming from the Herron. I left the volume at reference level with no LP playing and went to move my Herron slightly to see if something was loose on the plugs in rear. When I moved it I heard a sound I can only describe as loose filaments in a burnt out light bulb. The noise was still there. So I looked in through the vents and noticed that one the middle two tubes were emitting light. The tubes on the far right and left were out. I currently have a mm cartridge so I’m not using the mc portion of the Herron. Not sure if this is why they were not lit? I’m new to tubes so I apologize if I’m way off here. After turning the Herron off for 30 min then back on and at reference level with no LP playing, the high pitch ringing was gone. But if I gently tap the Herron I can hear through my tweeters the broken filament sound still. Should I be concerned? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Both the MC and MM signal go through the tubes. The MC signal signal get amplified by a solid state JFET stage prior to the tube stage. Sound like one of your tubes is starting to fail. Quite often when a tube can no longer hold bias it will glow quite bright and burn out. If you are using stock tubes in your Herron, replacement tubes are inexpensive.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Fishflood » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Dizastical wrote:This is off topic but I figured I’d ask fellow Herron VTPH-2A owners here instead of starting a new thread.

Dave

Hi Dave- As a long time Herron owner I would recommend you call Keith Herron about your experience and what is normal and what isn't. He's seen it all and couldn't be nicer! 314-434-5416
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Dizastical » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:30 pm

Just spoke to Keith. Everything is normal. The high pitched noise is from the 12AT7 tubes on slots V2 and V4. Sometimes they will ring occasionally. He suggested replacing them if it gets worse. As for the noise when tapping the cassis. It’s from the internals of the tubes vibrating. Very normal and can not be heard during play. And lastly the glowing of the tubes... you will only see a slight glow from one of them. They rest are slightly glowing but have caps over them so you can’t see it. I guess my bad luck streak with my setup had me overreacting. Thanks for all your help guys! Any recommendations for new 12AT7 tubes?

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby gene9p » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Try some Herbie's tube dampners. I have them on my LIO, 2 two tubes, and My Manley Chinook, 4 tubes.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT, CLASSIC 3 ARM, HW-40 feet
VPI SDS
Soundsmith Boheme
P S Audio Phono
McINTOSH C2300
Parasound A21
Krell CD
Bryston BDA-1
Snell JIV spkrs
Triode Wire Labs + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
Wayne's outer ring
gene9p

Postby edw » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:49 pm

gene9p wrote:Try some Herbie's tube dampers. I have them on my LIO, 2 two tubes, and My Manley Chinook, 4 tubes.

I concur with this recommendation.
edw

Postby Brf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 pm

edw wrote:
gene9p wrote:Try some Herbie's tube dampers. I have them on my LIO, 2 two tubes, and My Manley Chinook, 4 tubes.

I concur with this recommendation.

Herbie’s don’t work with all tube components. With my Herron, they kill the air and bloom. If you are suffering from microphonic tubes, I would just replace them with a set from Keith. Not expensive.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio