Looking for new MC cartrage

Looking for new MC cartrage

Postby Handinglove » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Ok, so I have been doing some reading and the denon 103 I have may not be a good fit with my new arm. It is a JMW 10. I am thinking about either of these two: ortofon mc quintet bronze or sumiko blue point special evo iii low out put. Trying to stay around 600 dollars. Any suggestions or thoughts? My music listening is all over,. Jazz, classic rock, 80's some classical etc. I appreciate any help.
Handinglove

Re: Looking for new MC cartrage

Postby Handinglove » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:59 pm

I ment the quintet Blue the bronze is out of my price range.
Handinglove

Postby 529proaudio » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:54 am

I've been really happy with the Hana SL on my VPI Prime with the JMW-3D 10 arm. I also listen to a wide range of music, and it seems to handle everything with aplomb. Great value at $600.

Best,
Chris
VPI Prime | HW40 Feet | Hana SL MC | Bob's Devices SKY20 VPI SUT | Don Sachs MM Phonostage | Don Sachs Preamp 2 | Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp | Tannoy XT 8F | IsoAcoustics GAIA III Feet | Audioquest Cabling
529proaudio

Postby Handinglove » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks Chris I was just reading some good things about the Hanna SL. I may go that route. Thanks
Handinglove

Postby DanOB » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi - I personally chose the Sumiko Blue Point Evo III for my VPI Prime with he 3D printed JMW 10" Uni-Pivot Tonearm​.
I play a little of everything from the old 70s R&B vocalists and Jazz classics to some of the latest music going from Buble' to the Imagine Dragons :)
That cart sounds great on every one of them. I just adjust VTA for the 'thicker' records.
Attachments
Sumiko EVOIII.jpg
The Cart
Sumiko EVOIII.jpg (162.17 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
DanOB

Postby theeng » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Its not a low-output MC, but Elusive Disc has a pretty good deal on the previous generation Soundsmith Carmen MKII - $499 - https://elusivedisc.com/soundsmith-carm ... ompliance/. There are a number good reviews and I have it on VPI 10.5 and it plays consistent with the various reviews. Its easy to drive/load so it will play nice with most phono-preamps. There is one nice side benefit, Soundsmith will rebuild it (new stylus & suspension) for only $199 so life cycle costs are low. At the very least, even if you move-on, you can get it rebuilt and sell for a decent price. One note of caution, the cartridge is only 6-gms, and if your tonearm has a large counterweight you may need to add some head shell weight (use heavier head shell fasteners) or you can go with a lighter counterweight.
theeng

Postby mreeter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 pm

I know it's a little over your budget, but who stays within a budget anyway :D

Audio Technica AT-OC9XSL, retails for $729. I believe it shares a similar design Boron Cantilever and a Special Line Contact Stylus as their very popular ART-9 Cartridge. Plus the new design has a treaded body.

I've logged about 40-45 hours on one and it's really starting to shine. Spacious, wide stage and channel separation is impressive for a Cartridge in this price range. The icing for me is the detailed, yet smooth top end, very enjoyable for the price of admission.

at-oc9xsl_03.png
at-oc9xsl_03.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1699 times
VPI Classic 3 Signature SE
mreeter

Postby Waxxy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:16 pm

"...so I have been doing some reading and the denon 103 I have may not be a good fit with my new arm. It is a JMW 10..."

If the JMW you have is the metal version, the Denon 103 is quite a good match. Art Dudley raved about the combination when he reviewed the original Aries / JMW-10 for Listener magazine.
VPI Aries II / JMW-10
Koetsu Urushi Platinum / Dynavector 17d3 / Lyra Kleos
Cyrus Phono Signature
JVC AX-Z1010 integrated amplifier / Audiomat Prelude Reference integrated amplifier
Sony SS-NA5ES speakers
Waxxy

Postby Zongo Chief » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:21 pm

The misconceptions about the Denons’ compatibility with most tonearms stems from the fact that the compliance of the 103 and other Denin cartridges, as reported by Denon, is measured at 100hz rather than the standard 10hz.
Zongo Chief

Postby husafreak » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:41 pm

After two Blue Point EVO's (retip) and a Blackbird I have about 25 years worth of Sumiko HO MC. Loved them all but tomorrow I will have a new Dynavector 10X5 installed on my Scout II/ JMW 3D arm. All HO MC BTW. I'm really looking forward to this new cartridge. It comes highly recommended by my dealer who also claims it is a great match for VPI tables. Eh, I'll bite, with covid demoing carts is not an option. A quick "no contact" trip to the city (San Francisco) will have me spinning tomorrow night. I should add that two of these three carts were destroyed by house guests. I try to be a good ambassador for vinyl and often let guests have a try, but naked cartridges are just too fragile, the natural tendency of others to grab a cartridge by hand has cost me! This last really hurt because my son has a nice entry level system C/O me and he just didn't realize you can't ever grab the head shell of a naked cart with your fingers. The Blue points are nice for what they are though, lots of fun, not too pricey. At the Blackbird price point there are so many more really great carts.
And if anyone really wants a new Sumiko give me a buzz, my broken Blackbird is worth 20% on a Sumiko trade in.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Next

Return to General Audio