SOTA Eclipse Questions

Re: SOTA Eclipse Questions

Postby spencem44 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:50 pm

VinBob wrote:
spencem44 wrote:Thanks for the comments on the video...my first attempt.
My original speeds for 33.3 & 45 were correct, but 78 was high (80s). I found the reset instructions in the manual and then all 3 were correctly displayed. When I first turn everything on, the speed variation is +/- 0.005, but after some "warm-up" the variation betters to +/-0.002.

That's great just being off by +/- 0.002 - How long is your 'warm up' period? I am going to reset mine just for shits and giggles as I never have done since I purchased several years back and maybe that may help with my readings too...

Cheers,
Vin.

Sorry for delay. Been in Oregon for 2 weeks tasting Willamette Valley and Applegate Valley pinots and chardonnays. Warmup is typically playing one or two sides of an LP.
Best,
spencem44
spencem44

Postby VinBob » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:51 pm

spencem44 wrote:
VinBob wrote:
spencem44 wrote:Thanks for the comments on the video...my first attempt.
My original speeds for 33.3 & 45 were correct, but 78 was high (80s). I found the reset instructions in the manual and then all 3 were correctly displayed. When I first turn everything on, the speed variation is +/- 0.005, but after some "warm-up" the variation betters to +/-0.002.

That's great just being off by +/- 0.002 - How long is your 'warm up' period? I am going to reset mine just for shits and giggles as I never have done since I purchased several years back and maybe that may help with my readings too...

Cheers,
Vin.

Sorry for delay. Been in Oregon for 2 weeks tasting Willamette Valley and Applegate Valley pinots and chardonnays. Warmup is typically playing one or two sides of an LP.
Best,
spencem44

No worries spencem44 and hope you enjoyed the wine! :D

OK, I thought warmup would be less than that but good to know and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby rlee8394 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Looking at Votan's excellent write-up on milling the VPI motor assembly, milling the bottom 1/8" and top plate roughly 1 /16", couldn't one build a 3/16" spacer between the top plate and motor assembly to accomplish the same thing for those who haven't got access to a metal lathe?

Thanks,
Ron
rlee8394

Postby bhjazz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 am

Well, I'm heading this way. After some head scratching recently I realized my stock Prime motor has turned into a noisy beast. Thanks everyone in this thread for posting - it has been valuable reference information for me. As always, I have questions:

If anyone has purchased the SOTA motor pod, what is the price? I'll play this against the values that VinBob posted of 750+40+240 = 1030 not including shipping for using the original pod. I do like the idea of having the heavier pod, though.

Also for the SOTA motor pod, does it have any feet or support? Like VinBob, I have the Symposium Segue Iso platform so I will need something grippy to prevent sliding. The height of the SOTA pod makes it seem unlikely that one could use many footer or isolation devices.

Thanks!
~bh~
bhjazz

Postby edw » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pm

bhjazz wrote:If anyone has purchased the SOTA motor pod, what is the price? I'll play this against the values that VinBob posted of 750+40+240 = 1030 not including shipping for using the original pod. I do like the idea of having the heavier pod, though.

I would contact SOTA to obtain current price. I am not sure if they have made any changes to the SOTA pod (based on my recommendations) or to the price.

bhjazz wrote:Also for the SOTA motor pod, does it have any feet or support? Like VinBob, I have the Symposium Segue Iso platform so I will need something grippy to prevent sliding. The height of the SOTA pod makes it seem unlikely that one could use many footer or isolation devices.

The motor pod that I have came with small rubber stick-on feet. There was no provision for any screw-in feet or footers. That is one of the recommendations I made to SOTA. Still, even with this, the motor is silent.
edw

Postby bhjazz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks edw. Contact with SOTA is on my list this week. Good to hear about the feet - that helps.
bhjazz

Postby bhjazz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:03 am

Talked to SOTA today, and the current price for the SOTA motor pod is $450 (and you'd still need a motor package). So if we can get our VPI motor pods converted by SOTA for $300, that's a pretty good deal.
bhjazz

Postby VinBob » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi All,

I just went to play an LP this evening and noticed a double electrical clicking noise coming from my speakers when the magnet passes over the motor. I am not sure how or why this has happened but it seems to be when the magnet passes over the DC motor at one side of the metal motor pod housing and then as it exits from the other side. It has been working just fine although I have not used a great deal and for some reason, I suddenly have this odd and rather annoying issue.

Anyone experience this or has any ideas as to what may be going on here...?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby edw » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:28 pm

VinBob wrote:Hi All,

I just went to play an LP this evening and noticed a double electrical clicking noise coming from my speakers when the magnet passes over the motor. I am not sure how or why this has happened but it seems to be when the magnet passes over the DC motor at one side of the metal motor pod housing and then as it exits from the other side. It has been working just fine although I have not used a great deal and for some reason, I suddenly have this odd and rather annoying issue.

Cheers,
Vin.

Never had that happen. How close is the top of the motor pod to the bottom of the platter and is the tape that fastens the magnet to the bottom of the platter causing any rubbing as it is going around?
edw

Postby VinBob » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 pm

edw wrote:
VinBob wrote:Hi All,

Cheers,
Vin.

Never had that happen. How close is the top of the motor pod to the bottom of the platter and is the tape that fastens the magnet to the bottom of the platter causing any rubbing as it is going around?

Thanks edw. No tape being used for the magnet, just glued under the platter using a glue dot.

I am not sure if it was solved by moving the SOTA PSU or Tachometer cables or me lowering the motor slightly by removing some Herbies grungebuster dots on the bottom of the motor pod feet, but the problem seems to be gone now and I am paranoid about adjusting anything again as I am concerned it may come back! Just odd that this made its way through the system and picked up by the speakers! :?
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio