SOTA Eclipse Questions

Re: SOTA Eclipse Questions

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:08 am

Dorian wrote:Great video thanks for sharing. What an amazing room, in particular the two walls of vinyl! Looks great. Shame about the static on that record though, is that a one-off or are all 78s like that? I don’t own any 78s.

Some of it is just related to the old media compounds. Some is related to the tape hiss which was inherent with tape, wire, and ribbon recording technology of those days.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 am

spencem44 wrote:I have used the 78 rpm feature and it works very well. It is accurate and adjustable for speeds other than 78. SOTA posted my video of that on their facebook page and it is still available at: https://youtu.be/2H6MRKLM690. This video was made before I finished the top of the motor, which required longer screws to use the original cover plate. There is also a "click" audible when the Coleman Hawkins 78 is playing that was corrected by adjusting the position of the sensor.

I enjoyed your video. Very nice, and the first time I’d seen the Roadrunner and psu in action.

I have OEM speed control on my main TT. It comes in the form of once per rev optical feedback rather than magnetic feedback. The unit is tied specifically to the brand, and is called the Radikal. I can check it with my Clearaudio 300 Hz strobe, but it’s boring since it’s quite firmly stable.

The other TT has an aftermarket speed controller from a guy in Hong Kong. His brand is Mober. He is using 16 times per rev optical feedback. It works very well too. Both kits include their own DC motors.

If I want 78 rpm, I trot out a third TT with an appropriate Shure cartridge for 78s. I don’t have many 78s (just my grandparents collections), so this works for me.

FWIW, based on my experience with PLC, SDS, and the built in ADS-like Levinson 515 controller, it is easy for me to understand why people are attracted to this SOTA product. Kudos to SOTA for making this available and retrofitting it to some VPI models. I am sure that I would be buying one if I still had a VPI TT.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby edw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 pm

spencem44 wrote:I have used the 78 rpm feature and it works very well. It is accurate and adjustable for speeds other than 78. SOTA posted my video of that on their facebook page and it is still available at: https://youtu.be/2H6MRKLM690. This video was made before I finished the top of the motor, which required longer screws to use the original cover plate. There is also a "click" audible when the Coleman Hawkins 78 is playing that was corrected by adjusting the position of the sensor.

Thanks. Mine wasn't working correctly at first. Christan at SOTA walked me through resetting the Condor and now 33, 45, and 78 rpm are all spot on based on the RR.
edw

Postby VinBob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:16 pm

edw wrote:

Thanks. Mine wasn't working correctly at first. Christan at SOTA walked me through resetting the Condor and now 33, 45, and 78 rpm are all spot on based on the RR.

Hi edw,

Can you share what Christan advised on resetting the condor so that you are now spot on? Are you within .001/2 of 33.333 or are you seeing larger values. I know all is good +/- 0.005 of the 33.333 but just curious as to what you did to get you spot on and what you mean by 'spot on'.

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby edw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:48 pm

VinBob wrote:
edw wrote:

Hi edw,

Can you share what Christan advised on resetting the condor so that you are now spot on? Are you within .001/2 of 33.333 or are you seeing larger values. I know all is good +/- 0.005 of the 33.333 but just curious as to what you did to get you spot on and what you mean by 'spot on'.

Cheers,
Vin.

Vin, initially the 78rpm setting on the Condor was reading 80rpm on the RR. The 33 and 45rpm speeds were suddenly off too. After the reset (push + and - simultaneously while plugging the power into the Condor), it worked at all speeds, 33, 45 and now 78rpm. Running voltage at -3 for all speeds. Accuracy is the same as before (+/-0.001 or 2). All good.
edw

Postby VinBob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:03 am

Thanks edw and those readings are great!

I just recently got my bearing upgraded to the inverted ceramic ball bearing hoping I would get to those readings but still off by +/- 0.003 or 4 - maybe I need to put some hours on the TT for things to improve a little or it may simply be the belts causing the fluctuations - not going to buy new belts at this stage as I have barely put any hours on the ones I have!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby madrac » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:12 am

Vin
I wouldn't worry about +/- 0.0003 or 4 - well within the precision of the RR.
VPI Classic 1-Fatboy, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's SUT, Rogue RP5 & ST100, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2, Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby VinBob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 am

madrac wrote:Vin
I wouldn't worry about +/- 0.0003 or 4 - well within the precision of the RR.

Thanks madrac. I have ordered a couple of new belts just to see if that improves things as I don't think there is anything else to adjust at this point. If it improves things great otherwise, will just leave it be at this point and enjoy the music!

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby spencem44 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for the comments on the video...my first attempt.
My original speeds for 33.3 & 45 were correct, but 78 was high (80s). I found the reset instructions in the manual and then all 3 were correctly displayed. When I first turn everything on, the speed variation is +/- 0.005, but after some "warm-up" the variation betters to +/-0.002.
spencem44

Postby VinBob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:16 pm

spencem44 wrote:Thanks for the comments on the video...my first attempt.
My original speeds for 33.3 & 45 were correct, but 78 was high (80s). I found the reset instructions in the manual and then all 3 were correctly displayed. When I first turn everything on, the speed variation is +/- 0.005, but after some "warm-up" the variation betters to +/-0.002.

That's great just being off by +/- 0.002 - How long is your 'warm up' period? I am going to reset mine just for shits and giggles as I never have done since I purchased several years back and maybe that may help with my readings too...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio