SOTA Eclipse Questions

Re: SOTA Eclipse Questions

Postby Brf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:27 pm

VinBob wrote:Hi All,

I just went to play an LP this evening and noticed a double electrical clicking noise coming from my speakers when the magnet passes over the motor. I am not sure how or why this has happened but it seems to be when the magnet passes over the DC motor at one side of the metal motor pod housing and then as it exits from the other side. It has been working just fine although I have not used a great deal and for some reason, I suddenly have this odd and rather annoying issue.

Anyone experience this or has any ideas as to what may be going on here...?

Cheers,
Vin.

Hi Vin, not sure where you are located, but was it unusually cold out? Low humidity has a funny way of playing with static electricity and making equipment more sensitive.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:Hi All,

I just went to play an LP this evening and noticed a double electrical clicking noise coming from my speakers when the magnet passes over the motor. I am not sure how or why this has happened but it seems to be when the magnet passes over the DC motor at one side of the metal motor pod housing and then as it exits from the other side. It has been working just fine although I have not used a great deal and for some reason, I suddenly have this odd and rather annoying issue.

Anyone experience this or has any ideas as to what may be going on here...?

Cheers,
Vin.

Hi Vin, not sure where you are located, but was it unusually cold out? Low humidity has a funny way of playing with static electricity and making equipment more sensitive.

Hey Brf - I am in North New Jersey. The room temp is kept fairly consistent and I have a humidifier going too in trying to keep between 40-45% humidity. The room wasn't much different to the previous day when everything sounded OK. I will see if I can reproduce the issue by raising the motor pod as it may have been due to that but it seems a little odd as nothing really changed and then all of a sudden, I had this double static sound going on when the magnet passes over the motor - I am just at a loss as to how this is being picked up by the audio equipment unless its going through the electrics...??

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 & LPS | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Auralic Altair G1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Robes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi All-

I've read all the following threads: VPI vs SOTA Motor, SDS & ADS Replacement, Project Avenger, VPI TNT, and this SOTA Questions. Certainly thank all the contributors to those threads, and entertaining hardily describes some of them. Bottom line, educational and solid supporting science in most respects. What I've read is enough evidence to lean toward the total SOTA VPI package.

I have the VPI Prime. I will be contacting them on a price for the full package, including the SOTA motor & pod. I'll also ask about the price for my Hurst pod conversion & weigh the difference. My Prime hasn't been used as yet, brand new recently pulled out of the box, therefore thinking to keep my motor and pod untouched and just buy the complete SOTA package. Yet, I could wait for the Hurst pod machining since I have the time and can continue this set-up building. Thoughts?

So, I'm sure there are extra's not included in the package I should ask to be included in the price. Such as the custom double belt metal pulley for VPI/SOTA motor, Condor/RoadRunner connector for the feed-back loop, more?

Should I buy belts from VPI or SOTA? or look for the EDPM? I understand best to go double belts, unless using the EDPM which a single is fine. From the above threads, seems the EDPM is the best yet most difficult to find. I think if I could find something measuring close to the stock size I can adjust the distance easy enough to make an EDPM work. The motor will be on it's own independent stand, separate from the TT and can be adjusted horizontally and vertically. The motor pod will be set 1/4" into a 5lb lead ingot as a secure foot with moveable horizontal adjustment.

Vienna Acoustics recommended a quality linear power supply (Keces P8). I'm afraid to check the price of that! Are any of you addressing that issue, if that's an issue. I never saw this come up in any of the aforementioned threads. Any suggestions here or anywhere most appreciated.
Robes- :mrgreen:
Robes

Postby tony22 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:10 am

Hi Robes. As to linear power supplies, yes the Keces is a bit pricey (but highly regarded). If you want to experiment, find a nice clean Acopian lab power supply on eBay. I got an A24MT350 for all of $45 that was of recent manufacture and looked like it had never been used. I’m not saying that audiophile LPSes aren’t necessarily better, but companies like Acopian have been making precision, low noise linear supplies since before audiophiles ever heard of such a thing. Since apparently LPSes are reported by audiophiles as being as different sounding as cables (slight sarcasm here :lol: ), nothing says a $300+ lab supply at eBay prices couldn’t also sound good.
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Fishflood » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:18 pm

ROBES- I've been using a Condor for a few weeks now with their pulley and two VPI belts and it's a pleasure. Waiting for my machined out Aries Pod to return from SOTA as the final piece. Definitely lower noise floor than the VPI 300RPM motor. Smoother operation by far. A real pleasure. You we be very happy with their support.

Are people actually using LPS power supplies for the Condor? I'd be curious about experiences with that.
Aries 1/Fatboy Uni/Ortofon Cadenza Black/Ann Mighty 103R Malachite Body/Ebony Wood body Denon 103R Microline Retip
Lamm LP2
Lamm LL2.1
Herron M1A Monos
Harbeth M30.1
Fishflood

Postby Robes » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 am

tony22 wrote: As to linear power supplies,find a nice clean Acopian lab power supply on eBay. I got an A24MT350 for all of $45 nothing says a $300+ lab supply at eBay prices couldn’t also sound good.

Hello Tony22, I recognise your "handle" from many other threads. So, the reason the comment by Vienna A. caught me was because I truly live in the back country here in MT. Power to my place is very haphazard, common to have lines down for 3-5 days anytime for any reason. We have gas generators to power through those times, maybe several times a year. During outages as such were careful about using computers and soon, my stereo system.

Because of the frequent outages (storms, tree blow downs, ice storms etc) here, I may be more aware of a suggestion to acquire main line "conditioners" yet I assume once power is restored it's as good as anyone else's - but I don't know. Yet it is MT and I'm barely on the grid for what it's worth.

But for those reasons and as you suggest, for cheap, why not try something if it's a reliable co. I did check eBay, and found these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

Sorry to ask, but since your familiar with the brand maybe you could take a look at what's available here, 1 or 2 items. Like you say for the price it maybe worth a try considering my location- if that really matters I don't know.

I appreciate your reply and I'll look into those eBay items further-
Robes :mrgreen:
Robes

Postby Robes » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:23 am

Fishflood wrote: Are people actually using LPS power supplies for the Condor? I'd be curious about experiences with that.

Thanks for your reply Fishflood, I'm anxious to to get this system incorporated for sure too. I know nothing about the suggestion that Vienna Acoustics (VA) made about his comment that a line conditioner as mentioned in the above post is a must. What I do know is that it has never been brought up in any of the several threads I have read. Of course, that doesn't mean 1 or 2 or many or no one is using them in all those posts just fail to mention the fact. But if it was important I would think it would have been mentioned a couple times.

Another thing that is known about adding the linear power conditioner, as suggested by VA, is that VA (to his credit) has an unlimited expense account for his projects, who wouldn't like that! So, in that regard, it possibly could be a tweak that isn't too high on the list, but he covered it & brought it to our attention. I having power concerns were I live am not sure how important it might be for me. Yet, hearing from Tony22 opens a cheap check on it for me, if it doesn't add noise to the system.
Thanks Robes-
Robes

Postby tony22 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:28 am

Hi Robes. So the first thing is - is it a 24 VDC supply that you need? If so, then for the ones on this link, what I’d recommend doing is look over the photos of each, and for the ones that look clean, ask the seller if they know the manufacturing date and if/where/how long it was used. This series has been around for decades, so I’d try to stick with something less than 10 years old. If it also comes with the original box and papers it’s a good sign, usually those were lightly used units. In order to get the most out of one of these, you’ll need to use the sense lines along with the main voltage +/- lines. That will insure the precise voltage is delivered at the load.

With regard to being out there in MT, be aware that no line conditioner will do any voltage regulation. You’ll need an active regenerator to insure consistent line voltage, but even that will drop of course when your incoming service goes down. Conditioners may help if you have noise and over voltage transients, but from what I hear you saying, I think you’d be better off with a full blown regen. Something like a PS Audio P15 or P20. Pricey, but effective. Of course you could also do a “main line” conditioner, like you said, but those are big big money from what I’ve seen.
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Robes » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 pm

Thanks for clarification on this Tony22,

I think I'll need to read more about this stuff, not worth jumping into it before having a personal understanding of it all- that will take me some time. I'm probably fine to resume working on getting it all up and running and hearing it for the 1st time and take it from there. At least I'll be aware of this as a possible noise maker and can look into this matter fully in the near future. Thanks for your input- appreciated! :mrgreen:
Robes

Postby tony22 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 am

Robes wrote:Thanks for clarification on this Tony22,

I think I'll need to read more about this stuff, not worth jumping into it before having a personal understanding of it all- that will take me some time. I'm probably fine to resume working on getting it all up and running and hearing it for the 1st time and take it from there. At least I'll be aware of this as a possible noise maker and can look into this matter fully in the near future. Thanks for your input- appreciated! :mrgreen:

No problem, and good luck. Let us know how it’s coming along. If something comes up I can’t help with, I know there will be others he who can.
tony22

Previous

Return to General Audio