Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records

Re: Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm

The original Sound Guard record preservation 2 fl oz bottles have an excellent pump sprayer. I still use some I bought in the ‘90s. They were in storage for many years but still work great. Would be nice to know if they are still using the same design.
Mr_Putty

Postby Bill Stevenson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 pm

After reading Neil's paper, I decided to substitute Tergitol in accordance with Neil's recommendations in the paper for the IPA formula that Harry gave us years ago. I use an HW-17 and at this point have cleaned at least 100 or more records using Tergitol. My records are generally new or in excellent to near mint condition. The Tergitol solution displays minimal foaming, much more readily wets the surface of the record and vacuums off without visible residue after 2 revolutions. Static buildup has not been an issue. Surface noise is reduced as compared to the IPA formula and in fact I have found that a few records that were somewhat noisy before have been substantially quietened.

Regards,

Bill
Bill Stevenson

Postby theeng » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:35 pm

To ALL,

Its been almost a year, and a Second Edition to the paper "Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records" was just published and available for download (its still free) - just read down through the intro and there will be a big red download option - https://thevinylpress.com/precision-aqu ... d-edition/. Its a big update, the original paper was 85 pages; this second edition (now more of a handbook) is 145 pages; and the bubbles image that Bill Hart of The Vinyl Press used for the intro is appropriate for the deep dive that was done; it captures most of the conversations I have had here on this site and others as well as observing. Hope you find this 2nd Edition of interest.

Otherwise, take the time and go to the main site https://thevinylpress.com/. This latest update by Bill Hart reviews some esoteric jazz music that is not necessarily main stream but should be of interest to any jazz or music aficionado.

Take care & stay well,

Neil
theeng

Postby seamonster » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Thank you, Neil - much appreciated.
seamonster

Previous

Return to General Audio