Silk thread belt / braided fishing line belt BFLB

Re: Silk thread belt / braided fishing line belt BFLB

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 pm

This thread is getting a bit close to my tests with my Prime. I want to try the silk belt but will summarize my other tests as food for thought. I started with the single rubber stock belt. I didn’t like the splice so I ordered two new belts fron Austin Seal. I tried one belt then both with and without a rubber mat. I also tried damping the platter with one and several platter hugging o-rings about 1/8 inch diameter. Currently I have one o-ring near the bottom of the platter. I reasoned this was an area of reflectance and a good place to dampen bearing noise. I prefer no mat so far. So, are there any experimenters thinking a silk belt AND a rubber like belt could work together beneficially? My listening tests indicate two belts give a more stable speed, and benefit from as much motor isolation as possible. I know there is at least one TT maker using cassette tape like belts. Is this something else that should be investigated? What do you theorists think?
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 am

Mixing materials of a different compliance and material for use in a drive system typically does not work. The drive will default to the material with the best molecular adhesion required to create the prerequisite adhesion zone on the pulley.

Mylar tape has been used as a drive material due to it's very low elastic nature. Please see my previous post for additional comments.
http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10074&start=10
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm

krytoxlub wrote:Received my new VPI belt. Ran it for a couple of days now. The new belt is excellent, I feel a bit silly-stupid, and or senile. Simple fix to sloppy sound. I am now removing the belt from the pulley and resting it on the platter when not in use to preserve the elasticity of the belt.

I am waiting till my silk thread arrives and enjoying the music for now.

You might consider removing the belt on just the motor pulley by snaging it with a stiff piece of wire or thread. Let it rest against the platter when not in use. It’s easier to put on and keeps oil from hands off the belt.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Previous

Return to General Audio