Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Re: Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Postby tom collins » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Great call Vin. It is a very good cartridge. Imho far better than other options mentioned
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby VinBob » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 pm

tom collins wrote:Great call Vin. It is a very good cartridge. Imho far better than other options mentioned

Thanks Tom. I think it comes down to personal preference of ones ears and system matching at the end of the day when you are looking at cartridges around this price point. I love how it sounds in my system already with only six hours put on the cartridge! My biggest concern and why I was contemplating other options, was the tremendous amount of time it took to get it looked at and that it needed adjusting in the first place from new, as I had very little usage on it. I guess these things can happen - maybe from transport or the master craftsman may have had an off day - who knows...I just hope it is now in perfect shape and that I don't run into the cone pumping issues on my left channel which drove me to sending it back in the first place cos as I said, it sounded wonderful otherwise...

I am now waiting to hear back from Lyra for recommendations on optimal loading of the cartridge. I am using a Moon 310LP which has a number of loading options - From everything I have read, I have my Gain at 60db and Resistance at 100ohm. Not sure if I should go up in resistance and lower the Gain, but hopefully Lyra can point me in the right direction. I can't go lower than 60db gain unless I go back to using the unbalanced cables from the phono to my Bryston preamp at which point, I can then go to 54db gain but my guess, is that this setting would probably be too low...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby tom collins » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:14 am

I think 54 will work. The Lyra output is nearly twice the average of. 3. I turned. Mine down too. I believe about 125 worked well for loading. As for service, I would expect you will not have to worry again for many years. They have a reputation and my experience was ex excellent. Setup and azimuth is key to getting all it has to give.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby VinBob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Just to provide an update all... So as much as I wanted to stick with the Lyra Delos, I am going to switch over to the VAS Nova - I just think it is a more compliant cartridge with the 3D 10" arm as it has a resonance of 10+ Hz versus a very low 8Hz with the Delos. I have also read great things about the VAS Nova on a different thread and especially from HW - I just think it is just going to be a better match with my setup in the long run and it certainly seems to be as good if not potentially better than the Delos for detailed playback.

Will be starting the exchange shortly and will report back once I am all setup around the middle of next month due to my travels to the UK over the next couple of weeks. Thank you all for the support and advice...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Previous

Return to General Audio