Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Re: Lyra Delos Phono Cartridge

Postby VinBob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks for the feedback guys - I need to work this through my dealer (Elusivedisc) so it's going to be a case of what they carry at that same price point. I may just simply stick with the Delos but given the long wait times involved for servicing and the potential costs down the road, I was thinking of going with something like the Soundsmith Zephyr as an alternative.

So with those two being my two options, I was looking for any pros/cons of going with one over the other from a performance and setup perspective to understand whether there is anything compelling for me to stick with the Delos over moving to something else...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 pm

I have nothing but good things to say about Peter Lederman and Soundsmith. I don’t think you could go wrong with them.

I am curious why the Lyra is getting “serviced.” Lyra have a good trade in policy and it’s virtually instantaneous. Soundsmith’s retipping is even more generous, but both are good.
Peer Gynt

Postby VinBob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:52 pm

The Lyra needed some servicing as there was a potential suspension related issue which was potentially causing some cone pumping with my left speaker. I don't have the full report on it, but they apparently made some adjustments and re-voicing (not sure what that means!) - I have not received the cartridge back just yet as it is on its way to my dealer with the option for them to either send it back to me, or for me to exchange given the patience I have shown during the 15/16 week wait to get it back!

So I am just taking stock of the whole experience as good as the Delos is, to maybe look at an alternative with the Soundsmith being very VPI friendly and more cost effective for servicing and with quicker turn around times. However, if I am giving up a better cartridge for the SS, then I may just stick with what I have. Decisions...decisions...
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby bgad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:I have nothing but good things to say about Peter Lederman and Soundsmith. I don’t think you could go wrong with them.

I am curious why the Lyra is getting “serviced.” Lyra have a good trade in policy and it’s virtually instantaneous. Soundsmith’s retipping is even more generous, but both are good.

I just recently installed a SS Zephyr and had to call Soundsmith to ask about which mounting screws to use (because I was not bright enough to calculate effective mass on my own) and all of a sudden I was talking to Peter Lederman and he was then leading me through the process ! Talk about great customer service!
I immediately loved the sound of the cartridge and it is only getting better!
HW-19 IV, VPI ADS, 1st Gen JMW Memorial, SS Zephyr Star, ML-25S, ML-26S, ML-38S, Classe CA-D200, B&W 804
bgad

Postby MOON » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm

I have a Lyra kleos Soundsmith retipped with their best cantilever / stylus option which sounds amazing. I won't buy another lyra due to rebuild price which was just under $200 to buy a brand new one.

My next cartridge will be a Soundsmith due to the 20% cost of new to rebuild and that Soundsmith cartridge repairs have faster turn around times for service over non soundsmith cartridges. Many on this forum run soundsmiths.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby JohnCh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 pm

VinBob wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys - I need to work this through my dealer (Elusivedisc) so it's going to be a case of what they carry at that same price point.

Elusivdisc does sell the VAS Nova.

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby VinBob » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:37 am

Thanks for the recommendations and endorsements everyone.

Decided to stick with my Delos as I did some research and it seems the servicing turnaround times on a Soundsmith Is not a whole lot better than it would be with Lyra. I just hope it comes back in great condition and I need to be bloody careful with it so that I don’t have to send it back to them again anytime soon! :shock:

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby Peer Gynt » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:13 am

Soundsmith will work on just about any cartridge. Not just their own.

I had them redo a Linn Krystal last Fall and the turn around was 1 week. I had them do a Grado Reference this winter, and it took 10 weeks. It just depends on how interested they are in the cartridge (the Krystal is a relatively new model) and what their backlog is. It is sort of a one man show. Normal turnaround is 8-12 weeks according to their website.

On both the Grado and the Linn (both had failed cantilevers), after inspection, he recommended the $299 laser drilled sapphire cantilever with low mass contact line stylus. I took his recommendation even though I’d thought I’d want the boron cantilever option, and both turned out well.

The Krystal had failed mid side one day. It has a hollow aluminum cantilever that can wick up liquid and corrode to failure. Linn are now recommending not to use wet cleaning. Mine had never been wet cleaned, but they would not repair OR replace the failed unit. My dealer (in the UK) was sympathetic, but not willing to step up beyond Linn’s $150 trade in policy. I was disappointed in both dealer and Linn, but more disappointed with Linn. I would not buy another Linn component.

Rather than throw the $2000 Krystal away, I sent it to Soundsmith. The result was better than new.

After this good experience with Soundsmith, I had the good fortune to come upon a free broken cantilevered Grado Reference V1. It came attached to a used tonearm I bought. Off to Soundsmith for another successful repair.

I hope Peter has an apprentice who can inherit the business and carry on his good work.
Peer Gynt

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:28 am

Vin seems to have made his choice, and, certainly, the Delos is a very good cartridge. However, I like to promote SoundSmith and a few other small manufacturers (such as the late Phoenix Engineering) whenever I get a chance. My Paua sounds better to me than any other cartridge I’ve listened to at up to double the price. While I’ve not heard the $15,000 big dogs from Goldfinger and AirTight, the SoundSmith Strain Gauge is the best sounding uber cartridge I’ve heard, and I’ve heard several. The SoundSmith cartridges are also durable, which is a big plus for those of us with ham hands. SoundSmith’s service is flawless. The work is done on time and at the estimated charge, and the repaired cartridge is truly better than new. Beyond all this, Peter, who can be a curmudgeon (but in an appealing way a la Harry), is accessible and helpful. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Cjaylundgren » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:42 pm

After further research, I got a great deal on a SoundSmith “The Voice” cartridge (2.12mV output compared to 0.6mV for the Delos). Just waiting for my dealer to install on my Ares TT. Most reviews and my dealer are confident this is a much better fit for my system than the Delos. Will report back after installation and some listening sessions. Thanks for everyone’s response and input, much appreciated.
Cjaylundgren

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio