SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Re: SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby Stringreen » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Gene....I don't know the V/N cartridge, but any new cartridge will dramatically change after being played on a few albums. Follow the designer's directions....if it sounds bad, remember it will sound good with a bit of time.
Stringreen

Postby twentyhertz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 pm

finally got around to mounting mine (it's been a crazy summer) and initial impressions are that the cartridge sounds great but I'm having problems with tracking (which I never had with the same set up and Hana SL). It's actually skipping on records that I've never had problems with, and I can't get decent anti-skate performance (just by twisting the wire) using the hi-fi news test record. One thing I've noticed is the cantilever seems to move laterally very freely (when riding the grooves). Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if it's a particularly compliant suspension or if I'm just noticing it because the cantilever is way out there on its own compared to other cartridges I've had. Tomorrow I'll start all over with alignment and see if I can get it sorted.
twentyhertz

Postby twentyhertz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm

How many of you using this cartridge are using mechanical anti-skate? I just talked to Steve and he suggested I should use it with this cart. Never needed it before (just twisted the wire once)
twentyhertz

Postby 33+1third » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 pm

.4mV version approaching 100hrs using with 12" FatBoy 1.5g tracking and no anti-skate, no issues.
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby Golear » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:45 am

I think 33+1third brings up very important additional data points: the length of the arm and the VTF.

With a 12-inch arm, the extra inertia may mean there's less need for the mechanical anti-skate.

And I think HW/VPI noted: if you're twisting the wire, then increase the VTF by 0.1 gram. I can't quite remember where I read this.

(So: if you have a 12-inch arm, and set slightly higher the VTF, you may be fine with the twisted wire approach.)

I have the 10-inch 3D arm, and I have the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC* cartridge, at manufacturer's max. recommended VTF (not higher). I definitely need the mechanical anti-skate. I can hear the improvement as I dial in the right amount of anti-skate.
Golear

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 am

No experience with the longer arms, but my 3-D 10 inch did not like a full turn of the wire for anti-skate. So I compromised so the wire just begins to exert a force half way through a record. With that as a starting point I then added mechanical anti-skate so it’s working at the outer grooves of a record. You might try that. The idea is to get more force working at the inner groves. Another thought, your cart may be sensitive to resonance from the finger lift. Mine was. I removed it and put some clay (1.1gm) on the top of the arm behind the mounting screws. To me this was a definite improvement. Better on every record I played tonight!
Edit:
Make sure your cartridge mounting screws are not very tight. That will cause sonic problems. I learned that the hard way. Just remember to check them every once in a while, they do tend to get looser with use.
Mr_Putty

Postby gene9p » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am

no anti skate with mine. I have a Classic 2 that came with a classic 3 arm. I decided to keep the.4 sent in error for the 8. Took a little time and tweaking and it's sounding much better than when it first arrived. I also took apart all my gear and rack and rebuilt everything to remove the empty shelves that I had after adding the Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated and selling off my MAC gear.You never know how that can also improve sound by reconnecting with everything cold and powered down, cleaning everything up, repositiong, etc.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby twentyhertz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm

spoke to Steve, and after talking some more he said my arm (older JMW 10) needed the set screw lowered, which I had already been thinking about because it seemed to be riding low back by the weights. Voila. I'm still tweaking the set up but it sounds great and is tracking great.
twentyhertz

Postby aztwang » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:50 am

Can i get accurate specs on this cartridge please;
What I assume from all posts is the following:

Output voltage: .25/.4 or .8 mv
Stylus is a high quality elliptical stylus
Cantilever is a thin hollow aluminum tube cantilever
Any other changes from the Vas Nova to the Steve/HW design?

Question: Is not a Boron cantilever a preferred material as Steve uses that on his stock Vos Nova?...depends which spec sheet you look at, one says aluminum the other boron) Why the switch?

Cheers

Don
Last edited by aztwang on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP-- EL34- Marantz TT15-S1-- Sumiko Blackbird
Mobile Fidelity Studio Phono stage-- Blue Jeans Interconnects & Blue Jeans Speaker cable--
Goldenear Triton 1’s
aztwang

Postby Harry » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Exotic cantilever material does not always mean better sound, just different. I am a confirmed believer in the aluminum cantilever and elliptical stylus for 95% of my records.

HW
Harry
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner