SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Re: SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby VinBob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:29 am

Peer Gynt wrote:
VinBob wrote:
BTW, does anyone have any thoughts on my low riding VAS Nova - I assume it's normal but wanted to get some thoughts on some other VAS NOVA users.

It does not look like a low rider to me.

Is your arm truly parallel to the vinyl? Hard to tell from the picture, but your arm looks a bit dropped at the back, and that affects VTA/SRA.

The cantilever looks good though. Low riders generally look like their suspension has failed. Yours does not.

Thanks Peer - Based on my eyesight and using many magnifying tools, I believe the arm is fairly parallel to the vinyl - so I should be good there. Thank you for your thoughts and confirmation on things, as I had that 'here we go again' moment... :)
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 3B-SST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Johnny wrote:
Brf wrote:Hey Vin, set the jumper on your Moon to the IEC modified setting and see if this rolls off the woofer pumping. If this doesn’t work, then the KAB filter won’t either.

Harry wrote:At the show in Montreal two years ago the head of Moon came in, saw the woofers pumping, told us to change the EQ to IEC and it was gone.HW

Vin, I believe you have your answer :D :D :D

Finally got the settings changed to IEC on my Moon 310LP and no more excessive cone pumping. :D

Not sure if I have sacrificed anything by doing so from an audio quality perspective, but I am a lot happier knowing that I am not overworking the speakers unnecessarily and things still sound pretty good to me! ;)

Thanks for the tip on this Harry and especially as this came from Simaudio too!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 3B-SST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby thegage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 pm

The IEC recommendation to cure woofer pumping is mentioned in the 310LP Owner's Manual.

John K.
thegage

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:59 pm

thegage wrote:The IEC recommendation to cure woofer pumping is mentioned in the 310LP Owner's Manual.

John K.

Thanks John - Yes, I had seen that but I have been trying to solve the issue without needing to resort to the subsonic filter and I had read that if one could, to try doing so without introducing such a filter as it may be detrimental sonically. I tried everything I could (even had my Lyra checked out which took 4 months!) and this was going to be my last resort which of course, ended up being the solution...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:44 am

For all those who could not wait before the HW-VAS NOVA is in stock in .4 and .8 mV output for $1200.00

The .4 mV NOVA with boron cantilever, micro-ridge tip, and special winding's are in stock for $2500.00

This is not a forum for selling things but these are so good and the response from owners is so great I had to put them on here. VPI owners now have some options in MC cartridges that can be fixed or updated without taking a 10,000 mile trip and costing thousands of dollars.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Harry wrote:For all those who could not wait before the HW-VAS NOVA is in stock in .4 and .8 mV output for $1200.00

The .4 mV NOVA with boron cantilever, micro-ridge tip, and special winding's are in stock for $2500.00

This is not a forum for selling things but these are so good and the response from owners is so great I had to put them on here. VPI owners now have some options in MC cartridges that can be fixed or updated without taking a 10,000 mile trip and costing thousands of dollars.

HW

Hi Harry - What sandbox of mainstream cartridges would you say the 2500.00 version plays in? Could you name 4 or 5 to put this in perspective for us? Thanks
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 pm

The $2500 dollar version is equal to the Kleos, the A-95, the Purple Heart, though they all sound different. Steve goes for a fast clean but non-grainy sound that you can listen to for hours at a time. Besides, I like the micro-ridge tip over the line contact, for me it is smoother.

I broke mine by accident slicing off the diamond and it was fixed in three hours!!!!!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby gene9p » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm

I finally got to open the box containing the replacement of my .8 Vas Nova that met a terrible end. Thanks Harry for the great help.. This one turns out to be .4!..ok no biggie, heck I wanted to try the.4. However I am having trouble getting the sound of of this cartridge . It is very coarse at times with vocals, and some jazz sounds nail scratching. I have tried different loads, 200, 400, 800, tracking is just about 1.65, MC gain is on in my Manley Chinook and I am even raising and lowering the arm from lp to lp. So what am I missing. The.8 sang so beautifully immediately, does the .4 need break in time. None of my favorite lps old or new sound good at all. Any help would be appreciated.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby 10ovr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Give Steve a call,,Tell him what's up, Easy guy to work with and he well make it right ..
10ovr

Postby VinBob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:24 pm

gene9p wrote:I finally got to open the box containing the replacement of my .8 Vas Nova that met a terrible end. Thanks Harry for the great help.. This one turns out to be .4!..ok no biggie, heck I wanted to try the.4. However I am having trouble getting the sound of of this cartridge . It is very coarse at times with vocals, and some jazz sounds nail scratching. I have tried different loads, 200, 400, 800, tracking is just about 1.65, MC gain is on in my Manley Chinook and I am even raising and lowering the arm from lp to lp. So what am I missing. The.8 sang so beautifully immediately, does the .4 need break in time. None of my favorite lps old or new sound good at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Gene,

I have a 0.4mV too and I don't remember experiencing/hearing what you are albeit, we have different equipment in play! - Steve said that the cart ideally likes to be at the 500 ohm loading, VTF between 1.65g (best for 3D 10" arm apparently) and 1.75g, and he likes the arm slightly higher at the back. I don't believe this is due to break-in just because I only have a couple of hours on mine, and I am not experiencing the symptoms you mention.

Best thing at this point without driving yourself crazy mate, would be to give Steve a call who is a true gentleman and incredibly helpful...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner