SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Re: SPECIAL VAS NOVA/HW CARTRIDGE

Postby gene9p » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 pm

he said I am one of the first and mine is ready in an e-mail. I paid him but have not heard back.

'two are ready, one is yours".... :?:
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Harry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am

Steve is Steve and he makes them as fast as he can. I have two more that can ship tomorrow, they are the .8 mV version of the Nova that I use but there seems to be some of you that want a lower output version which will sound different. I re-read my first post and said .4 mV and will stand by that post but have been using the .8 mV as my cartridge for the last 3 month so if you need or want .4 mV Steve will have them next week. For me the .8 mV takes the cake.

I should have mentioned this along the way but I assumed you were going on my recommendation as opposed to specs which mean very little when it comes to the sound of cartridges. Something I have found out at great cost over the years.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Harry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am

Guys, I'm not a retailer and have no interest in being in the cartridge business I offered this to the members so they could enjoy what I am enjoying, nothing more. Let me know if you want the .4 or the .8 version in an e-mail and you will be set. Being retired I have no problem as the intermediary between Steve and his customers as a favor to both, I did not realize I had written the output as .4 as I have been using the .8 since he made me one and have not looked at the thread beginning in months.

I hope this clears it up, there are no nefarious happenings here, the grassy knoll is on another forum.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby gene9p » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am

.8v is fine for me....I will shoot you an e-mail
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 am

gene9p wrote:.8v is fine for me....I will shoot you an e-mail

Your Manley Chinock is going to love the 0.8mv output! I would also try the internal 45db gain setting on the Chinook with your Mac components.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby gene9p » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:48 am

Brf wrote:

Your Manley Chinock is going to love the 0.8mv output! I would also try the internal 45db gain setting on the Chinook with your Mac components.

so don't use the 60 MC setting. Gotcha. What other settings for the cartridge would you recommend. I believe it was to load at 500...thanks.
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm

gene9p wrote:
Brf wrote:

so don't use the 60 MC setting. Gotcha. What other settings for the cartridge would you recommend. I believe it was to load at 500...thanks.

Try both the 45db and 60 db setting and see which one sounds the best. The 45db just might produce a lower noise floor. As for loading, I always start with no load (47k) and work my way down to what sounds best. Just play around with the loading until you find out what you like. I wouldn't get too hung up on what other people use as there are too many variables at play. Looking forward to your feedback.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Harry wrote:Steve is Steve and he makes them as fast as he can. I have two more that can ship tomorrow, they are the .8 mV version of the Nova that I use but there seems to be some of you that want a lower output version which will sound different. I re-read my first post and said .4 mV and will stand by that post but have been using the .8 mV as my cartridge for the last 3 month so if you need or want .4 mV Steve will have them next week. For me the .8 mV takes the cake.

I should have mentioned this along the way but I assumed you were going on my recommendation as opposed to specs which mean very little when it comes to the sound of cartridges. Something I have found out at great cost over the years.

HW

Sorry if I upset you Harry,,Not may intention ,,I was going by your recommendation the .4 mv ,So when I got a .8 mv I thought I would ask if this was correct ,,The .8mv is fine with me,,,,Thanks Tim
10ovr

Postby twentyhertz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 pm

.8 is fine with me too :) Thanks!
twentyhertz

Postby Harry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:31 pm

More important info garnered from Steve and my listening tests:

9" arm - Best tracking force 1.85 grams
10" arm - Best tracking force 1.65 grams
12" arm - Best racking force 1.50 grams

These are good places to start and as you see the longer the arm the better the tracking at lower forces.

HW
Harry
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner