The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby Brf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm

They say that no two TNT are the same.

IIRC, the 1" bearing was used for the Aries tables.

Below is a couple of pictures of my Mk3, Mk4 and Mk5 bearing....all 1.25 in diameter.
Attachments
TNTB3.jpg
TNTB3.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 751 times
TNTB2.jpg
TNTB2.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 751 times
TNTB1.jpg
TNTB1.jpg (59.44 KiB) Viewed 751 times
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby bdp24 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Great, thanks Brf. Yep, my Aries plinth has a 1" hole, and luckily the first TNT-3/4 platter I found (same as the one in your pic above---7/8" lead-lined aluminum with a cork bottom, a 3/8" thick layer of black Delrin bonded to the top) came with the 1" threaded stainless steel version of the bearing housing, and slides right into the hole in the Aries. But it came with a regular hex nut, not the massive stainless steel donut seen in your pic. THAT was exclusive to the TNT-5, I take it.
bdp24
Senior Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby OverVolt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 am

WOW! I need help!
I have taken the plunge and am going back to a TNT to replace my Forsell table...SO, yesterday I drove 14 hours round trip to pick up a brand new inverted platter. (well unused) and a TNT table with standard platter/motor/flywheel/SDS & it has the reactor ball suspension. (not sure what to think of this suspension...I thought the air bladders were pretty good)
I was under the impression that the inverted bearing/platter was a "remove and replace" job. Looks like I was mistaken! the hole in my plinth is 1 1/4"...but the new inverted bearing is 1". Is there another bearing support for this system? or do I have to have an insert made to use this inverted platter?

Thanks!
OverVolt
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

No problem making your 1” bearing work. You have two options. Get a piece of pipe with a 1” inside and 1.25 outside dimension. Cut the pipe to 1.5” length and insert the pipe spacer over your 1” bearing. This will take up the space in your plinth. A much simpler method is to wrap 1.75” painter’s tape around the 1” bearing shaft to build it up to approximately 1.25” in diameter. The painter’s tape is used mainly to center the bearing into the plinth. The bearing’s Mechanical coupling is done by the friction between the top bearing flang and the bottom retaining bolt. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby thegage » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 pm

The painters tape solution works perfectly. That’s what I use for the Classic platter on my TNT.

John M
TNT Jr, Classic platter, Eminent Technology ET-2/VPI JMW 12 3D, Hana ML, Moon 310LP, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp, PrimaLuna ProLogue Five, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth
thegage
Senior Member
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby OverVolt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Excellent thank you for the info...I have had a couple solutions going through my head. I recognize the chance to create a bit of dampening between the bearing support and the plinth. I'm looking at either a brass sleeve (as you suggested) or some very dense 1/8" thick dampening material that I have...I'm leaning toward the dampening material.
OverVolt
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby bdp24 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 am

There is also lead tape (in either 1/2" or 3/4" wide rolls, sold by golfing supply houses. Wrapping the 1" bearing housing until it measures 1.25" with lead tape will provide a little resonance damping!

By the way, if anyone has a 1" TNT bearing housing and needs instead the 1.25" non-inverted aluminum version (with 3-holes in the mounting flange), wanna trade?---Eric.
bdp24
Senior Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby Brf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am

OverVolt wrote:Excellent thank you for the info...I have had a couple solutions going through my head. I recognize the chance to create a bit of dampening between the bearing support and the plinth. I'm looking at either a brass sleeve (as you suggested) or some very dense 1/8" thick dampening material that I have...I'm leaning toward the dampening material.


If you go the damping material route, Dynamat makes a damping tape that works well. If you have a car audio installation shop around locally, they use Dynamat for sound proofing and damping and will more than likely give you a small cut off piece for no charge.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 am

Brf wrote:
OverVolt wrote:Excellent thank you for the info...I have had a couple solutions going through my head. I recognize the chance to create a bit of dampening between the bearing support and the plinth. I'm looking at either a brass sleeve (as you suggested) or some very dense 1/8" thick dampening material that I have...I'm leaning toward the dampening material.


If you go the damping material route, Dynamat makes a damping tape that works well. If you have a car audio installation shop around locally, they use Dynamat for sound proofing and damping and will more than likely give you a small cut off piece for no charge.


Brf,
What would you think of him filling the gap with small round bearings and filling the void with epoxy, or some Flex Seal? Would coarse sand and epoxy work?
Mr_Putty
Senior Member
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am

Re: The TNT platter/bearing confusion!

Postby Brf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Brf,
What would you think of him filling the gap with small round bearings and filling the void with epoxy, or some Flex Seal? Would coarse sand and epoxy work?


I like to do modifications that are reversible. If you really want a tight fit, any machine shop can fabricate a bushing spacer sleeve (with a fairly high tolerance) for the male bearing. IIRC, VPI sells a spacer that can be used with their Classic platter bearing when paired with a 1.25" plinth hole like the TNT
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Previous

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

x