The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Brf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 am

tony22 wrote:
Brf wrote:Having set up literally dozens of Uni and now 3 gimbal fatboys, I have not experience any difficulty in setting azimuth. As I have noted in a previous thread, it is very important to break the stiction between the tonearm wand and the azimuth ferrule before you attempt to set azimuth.

Brent, I broke the stiction as indicated, but I do not have smooth motion in rotation when I unscrew the ferrule screws, and they are well unscrewed, to the point where they are almost falling out. If anything it suggests a variation across arm samples that is (to me) a little disappointing.

I know that this is is not the answer you are looking for but for that final azimuth adjustment you can always use cartridge shims. As an aside, all 3 Fatboys that I have touched all had the same consistent manufacturing tolerance.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 am

Sigh. Do I have some kind of one-off imperfect sample?
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby fischerd » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Brf wrote:Having set up literally dozens of Uni and now 3 gimbal fatboys, I have not experience any difficulty in setting azimuth. As I have noted in a previous thread, it is very important to break the stiction between the tonearm wand and the azimuth ferrule before you attempt to set azimuth.

Brf wrote:The arm is a very very precise fit and may demonstrate a bit of stiction as a result of the manufacturing and final assembly process.. You will need to break the stiction with a gentle rotating force. THIS MUST BE DONE WITH THE TONEARM UNMOUNTED AS TO AVOID POTENTIAL BEARING DAMAGE!!

Take the counter weight off. Using two hands, grab the the tonearm by the 3D printed and the metal ferrule and gently twist. Do not grab the tonearm by the gimbal assembly. You may need to apply some heat (hair dryer on low) and heat the metal ferrule. Once the stiction is broken, remount the tonearm and continue with your set up.

I keep hearing this term thrown around, but have no idea what it is: "ferrule"

What is it and maybe a picture?
fischerd

Postby Brf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:36 pm

fischerd wrote:
I keep hearing this term thrown around, but have no idea what it is: "ferrule"

What is it and maybe a picture?

As requested.
Attachments
Fatboy instalation.jpg
Fatboy instalation.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Brf you are truly the best! Will you be in Montreal next week? :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am

Mat wrote:Brf you are truly the best! Will you be in Montreal next week? :)

At this time, unfortunately no. To be honest, I forgot that the Montreal Audio Fest was happening next week.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

tony22 wrote:

Brent, I broke the stiction as indicated, but I do not have smooth motion in rotation when I unscrew the ferrule screws, and they are well unscrewed, to the point where they are almost falling out. If anything it suggests a variation across arm samples that is (to me) a little disappointing.

Just got my Fat Boy Gimbal and I loosened the 2 allens and it turns nice and smooth ,,No binding at all :?
10ovr

Postby tony22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Sigh. That's good news. ;) :|
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby 10ovr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm

tony22 wrote:Sigh. That's good news. ;) :|

You mite want to send Marc and email and see what they can do,,, Sorry for the bad news but at-least you know there is a problem,,
10ovr

Postby leftside » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

I take back my previous comment. This looks like a great way to do adjustments.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner