The Fatboy

Re: The Fatboy

Postby Butch1970 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:15 pm

I’m waiting to hear if anyone has replaced the 10” 3-D arm on their Classic or Prime with a Fatboy ;)
Butch1970

Postby Beck » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Butch1970 wrote:I’m waiting to hear if anyone has replaced the 10” 3-D arm on their Classic or Prime with a Fatboy ;)

...my 10" Fatboy is scheduled to arrive any day now. I will post my impressions when I get it installed.
Prime #16-67| Dual Pivot | Ortofon Cadenza Black | ADS | Ayre P-5xe phono preamp, K-5xe preamp, and V-5xe amp | Audio Sensibility Statement SE interconnects and Testament speaker cables | Magneplanar 3.7i | Mapleshade audio rack
Beck

Postby Butch1970 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:06 am

Very cool, Beck!

I’m also running a Cadenza Black with the 3D arm on my Classic Sig so I’m eager to hear your impressions.
Butch1970

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:28 pm

I’ve asked Mat by email, but maybe someone else knows.

Can you drop a 12” Fatboy onto the “On the fly vta VPI/Levinson 515 base?”
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 am

Peer Gynt wrote:I’ve asked Mat by email, but maybe someone else knows.

Can you drop a 12” Fatboy onto the “On the fly vta VPI/Levinson 515 base?”

Peer Gynt, I have never seen the ML 515 tonearm, therefore, I don't have a factual answer but my gut says no for the following reasons:

1) The ML 515 tonearm is directly wired to its RCA outputs, therefore, the Fatboy would require a modification.

2) The ML 515 utilizes a 10" tonearm. If the ML VTA tower has the same dimensions as the standard 10" VPI VTA Tower, the Fatboy side azimuth weights may not clear the VTA tower assembly

3) The 12" Faboy would require repositioning on the ML515's plinth, therefore, I am not sure if there is enough room on the plinth

An easier option would be to use a 10" Fatboy with a wiring modification. Is this something you are contemplating?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 am

The 515 arm looked longer, but it is 10”. I just measured one. I am listening to it with the stock Cadenza Bronze right now.

I had thought it was 12” when I’d seen it the other day, but it is over my head to discourage fumble fingers from touching.

I am playing through the intended Levinson preamp, Levinson amp, and B&W 802s.

It is tempting. I’ve got too many turntables already.

Sigh .....
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Well, it’s mine now.

Another VPI table of a different flavor.

Sealed box. I may have time to set it up this evening.

It would require some effort to fit a 10” Fatboy.

It’s gimbaled. Nice azimuth and vtf adjustment. Standard VPI style vta/sra adjustment. No LEMO.

Wires route out bottom of pillar and to rca on back. Classic platter. Three belts. SAMA motor custom fit to plinth. Cadenza Bronze cartridge.

It’s pretty. If I don’t like it at home, I’ll sell it. Otherwise, I’ll part out an LP12 and one of the other spares to backfill my hobby envelope.
Last edited by Peer Gynt on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Congrats.......that didn't take long to talk yourself into it! ;)

I love the looks of the ML table and the stability of the larger footprint. If it performs likes it looks, you have a winner!

Can't wait to read about you first impressions. Enjoy your new purchase.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:Well, it’s mine now.

Another VPI table of a different flavor.

Sealed box. I may have time to set it up this evening.

Interesting choice. Did you consider the Avenger which is priced similar???
Johnny

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:00 pm

I brought my own records for the audition. I’d listened to 16 sides yesterday to have a fresh sense of each, and this morning I narrowed it down to 5 sides, on 5 different disks, for the audition.

They were Nora Jones Come Away with Me side 1. This is a Japanese pressing and very well recorded and reproduced, except on the title cut where you can hear some warbling of piano and stringed instruments. The vocal track is stable. The tracks that warble warble with subtlety. For whatever reason, a drive that isn’t perfectly stable exacerbates this problem.

A 1970 Deutsche Gramophone recording of the the Boston Symphany Chamber Orchestra performing works by Claude Debussy, side 2. Beautiful strings, piano and flute if the reproduction system is up to it. Excellent sound stage.

1975 Pablo recording of Oscar Peterson and Clark Tracy, side 2. Oscar does his usual mumbling in the background. His fingers FLY. And Clark plays that trumpet as though he were chasing Miles out of town. Great imaging. A real tracking test.

1980ish Spyro Gyra Stories without Words, side two. The percussion and sax are exciting and challenging on this and, although if you’ve heard one Spyro Gyra album, you’ve heard them all, this is one of two or three of their very best. Very well miked and very well recorded and pressed.

And last, Sara MacLaughlin’s Wonderland. How better to end an audition than with sugar plums dancing in your head? If you like Christmas music, and female vocals, buy this album. It’s incredibly airy, open, complex. Yet honest and simple.

So .... the 515 did not “blow me away.” Nothing does anymore. But it was clearly a very credible, well working table with some nice features, modest weight, and good looks.

It’s the first TT ever badged as a Levinson. And it’s in honor of their 45th birthday. The Levinson story is sad, but you will be spared from my repeating it. On the bright side, they’re focused on no holds barred luxery products, and my first impression is good. Some of you may have ties to the industry, so you know that Harman (MLs parent) has a reputation for really good margins. That nearly always translates into wiggle room at retail.

It was not hard to decide to buy it. So far, so good.
Peer Gynt

PreviousNext

Return to Mat's Corner