Multiple Belts?

Re: Multiple Belts?

Postby Brf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

thesmurfsvillage wrote:Sorry to dig up this old thread, but couldn't find an answer in my searches..Since it's belt replacement time, I decided to try the 4-0 surgeon's silk and need some advice.

1. The 4-0 silk is so tiny and flimsy, I am having a major problem tying the blood knot. I've watched several "fishing" video methods, but does anyone have a good method to share for our non-fishing purposes, lol?

2. I see that once the knot is tied, the length cannot be adjusted--so what is the best way to precisely measure the desired length, to get a snug enough loop from platter to pulley on my Classic Signature?

Thanks in advance, for saving me much time and frustration!

-Billy

IME, you need a table with an outboard motor in which the motor can be moved to facilitate minor belt tensioning. The Classic Signature is an awesome table but does not lend itself to a thread drive system.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Oh, dangit, I see..At least I have the thread now for when I upgrade 'tables. Thanks as always!
thesmurfsvillage

Postby MMMC » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I'm arriving quite late to this "Multiple Belts" party, but would like to report very positive results from adding a "third" belt to my HR-X. A good bit more of everything, timber, depth, and immediacy from the presentation. Things I was expecting from a possible rim drive implementation. The most difficult part of this very simple upgrade addition was finding an HR-X set of belts, which I never expected to be an issue considering the number of VPI retailers in the greater San Francisco Bay area. I eventually found a set of belts at a southern California VPI retailer. That said, the result is worth the search effort, and may be one of the least expensive performance tweaks I have ever employed on a VPI table, and this is my fourth VPI turntable.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Previous

Return to Support Forum