New VPI Tonearm Lift

Re: New VPI Tonearm Lift

Postby bslee » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:00 pm

mmai wrote:Hi bslee, your detailed instructions and information are much appreciated!

Am glad to share this.
bslee

Postby Tor33rpm » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Look forward to the new lift. I'm on my 3rd since this past March. Like driving a Mercedes with cloth seats.
Tor33rpm

Postby Tor33rpm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:08 am

New lift arrived. Works perfectly. Nice slow drop and gentle landing. VPI got it right. The first drop was a geek out moment. That "Ahhhhhhhh" feeling.
Tor33rpm

Postby husafreak » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:26 am

Thanks!
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby husafreak » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 am

UM, where do you get this stuff? My searches for "Dow Corning 300,000cst type silicone fluid" are coming up empty.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Brf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 am

husafreak wrote:UM, where do you get this stuff? My searches for "Dow Corning 300,000cst type silicone fluid" are coming up empty.

Try a hobby store that carrys remote controlled cars. RC cars use silicone fluid in their suspension and hobbyist are constantly changing viscosities based on temp and conditions.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby mmai » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:38 am

husafreak wrote:UM, where do you get this stuff? My searches for "Dow Corning 300,000cst type silicone fluid" are coming up empty.

Here you are:
http://turntablebasics.com/silicone.html
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out); Audio Technica ART-9, AT-OC9ML/II & Denon DL-103SA; Aesthetix Rhea (modded to near Signature status)
mmai

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Jelco JL-45, which is a drop in replacement, works like a charm.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby husafreak » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks again, I ended up getting the fluid from http://turntable-tuneup.com/silicone-damping-fluid/ and I just did the job. I certainly could have used R/C Car fluid, this was just easier and cheaper in the long run. 10ml really is a lifetime supply. I found there was no fluid left in the piston assembly grooves, it was all in the bottom of the assembly around the arm pivot below the piston. It still falls faster than I'd like but i'll use it a few days before I try to add more fluid or switch to a Jelco. The operation was a breeze except for the spring falling on the floor, that took a while to find! Note that the silicon is kind of sticky so beware when you pick up a piston or cylinder to clean it that you don't get a spring or a screw coming along for the ride ;)
husafreak

Postby husafreak » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Ok, I take back what I said about the arm dropping too quickly, it just took a few cycles to reach a nice slow drop rate. Also I had reinstalled it a bit too high so the arm was dropping a long way before reaching the platter. I readjusted it to hold the needle approx. 1/4" or 5mm above the record surface in the fully raised position so the needle doesn't pick up any speed in a long drop to the record. It is definitely slower than it has ever been now. I was having issues with the needle bouncing into the first grooves after I installed the 3D arm. This brought me to the realization that the mechanism can be (and requires being) serviced. But it can also be raised and lowered in its mount and obviously that is a factor too. Here's hoping that I can resume use of the lifter. I like to set it in motion and have a seat before playback begins but for a while there I had to lower the needle by hand, using the finger lift usually, and it was not as convenient.
husafreak

Previous

Return to General Chat