vpi prime adapter for second arm placement

Re: vpi prime adapter for second arm placement

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Back onto the remote VTA for the VPI OTF adjustment. I want remote control VTA adjustment and I want to change it from my listening position. And I want it cheap! :mrgreen:

I've seen Expressimo Audio's option and didn't Walker also do it?

Anyhow, I'm thinking along the lines of something that can either turn the VPI VTA Adjustment knob by a belt or rim drive, or replace the actual knob and screw into the VTA adjustment and drive it directly.

I'd like to try a Aurdurino board to control a motor either through Bluetooth or Wifi. It could easily be app driven. Total cost under $100. I guess the question is, at the 5X parts and labor cost, would people buy it for $599 at retail?
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby adeep42 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 pm

It's been over a year since any post on this subject. I really would love to add another arm to my Prime. I do not want to buy a new turntable. Are there any updates from VPI, Forum members, or other manufacturers.

Thanks,

A
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby adeep42 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am

Just thought I'd post again to move this to the top of the line. There must be someone who has a thought. Thanks.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am

I believe Mat posted along time ago that they were not going to offer the second arm adapter for the Prime. At the time it was not end user friendly. I don't blame Mat or VPI as it would also cut into Avenger sales. There have been some DIY arm boards made. The other option, if you have the room, would be a stand alone tonearm arm pod. When it's all said and done, getting a second arm wand is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution on a Prime.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Brf » Thu May 10, 2018 11:45 am

You can order 5" diameter 304 stainless steel bar stock and have them cut to your required height. Anyone with access to a drill press can drill and tap for any surface mount tonearm.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am

I was hot and heavy to get a second arm adapter for my Prime Signature until I found that having multiple armwands was more than sufficient in actual use: I've got three different armwands and have them adjusted so that they are plug-and-play swappable.

Harry recently told me that he mostly now just swaps armwands instead of having multiple arms mounted as he doesn't have enough space behind his turntable rack to access the tonearm and manipulate it without major risk of damage the other arm or its cartridge.
jonathanb

Postby adeep42 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:29 pm

spinblackcircle, Brf, and jonathanb, Thanks for your input. I did read through the thread and was hoping that after a year there might be some new thoughts. I will check on the stainless bar stock. Again thanks for the input.

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42