VPI 16.5 engine noise

Re: VPI 16.5 engine noise

Postby madrac » Thu May 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Makes sense replacing the vacuum then since the new machine is significantly more expensive there.

Thanks for the itinerary adds - one of these days. You hit some great spots in the US on that trip. If you get to Louisiana, may as well come over to Texas - lots to see here - and possibly across to New Mexico. What's another 5K miles in a car? :-) I did something similar in Western Australia some 25-30 years ago -- over 8000 KM in like 6 days - from Perth down to Albany up to Wave Rock & the Pinnacles and back to Perth.
Classic 1 w/3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HP,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby prolonga » Fri May 15, 2020 6:22 am

Went there in 2006, Queensland, Top End, Red Centre, driving on 4x4 of course. Australia, another beautyful land...... Here are almost all my trips: http://www.diariovacanze.it

Thinking to replace the vacuum engine.....
In this case, I will post here my request about how to replace.
It seems easy but there are some things I don't understand, first of all:
the cable marked by the arrow enters the upper part of the motor: is it soldered or not ? Bah.......
prolonga

Postby prolonga » Wed May 20, 2020 5:16 am

This is the reply I received yesterday from VPI:
I showed this to one of our technicians and they said that it is likely that one of the metal fins on the vacuum fan could be touching something. If you are able to open it up and take a look inside at how it is operating and see if anything is in the way of the fan you can probably find what it is that it is touching up against.

Now, I'm very confused...... metal fins.... bearings..... anything more? :shock:
prolonga

Postby Brf » Wed May 20, 2020 9:23 am

You need to open up the unit to locate the source of the noise. Please remember that the vacuum relies on a fan to create a low and high pressure zone. The fan is connected to the drive shaft which supported by bushings/bearing.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby prolonga » Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am

Yes, I understood but it sounds strange that "one of the metal fins on the vacuum fan could be touching something .
Never falled down, never hit......

Do I open the gray part at the bottom? See the picture.
But it looks like sealed or clamped, or not? I don't want to damage anything......

Tks

prolonga

Postby madrac » Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Fin could be bent or have come loose after so many years. Or, if the bearing/bushing is worn, the play in the shaft may allow one or more fins to hit when spinning down.

Is there a nut or c-clip or ? in the center of the gray piece on the buttom that's holding it on?
Classic 1 w/3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
madrac

Postby prolonga » Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Madrac.

The "hole" is for an allen key but there is also a nut as you can see from attached picture

prolonga

Postby prolonga » Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 am

I found a video on Youtube where unit and components are well explained but I am not so fluent to understand what the speaker says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSqFoDnKI8

I don't understand if - in the vacuum part, that's where the noise comes from - there is a bearing or it' s only noise from the fins
prolonga

Postby madrac » Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 am

I think you may need to remove the nut first to get to the internals, and that you'll need to use an allen head wrench to hold the shaft so it doesn't spin when un-doing the nut.

As to the noise, the video doesn't address this (as far as I can tell).

So, my guess is the bearing may be worn out, so that the noise is either due to slop (play) in the bearing so the fins may hit the casing or just because of the bearing.

Now, the video said they had to cut the fan off the shaft to get at the internals as it is pressed on. I do not know whether or not you will be able to have the fan removed (may need a puller or take it to a machine shop to have removed). You can probably tell if there is slop in the bearing by seeing how much the fan rocks back and forth while still assembled.
madrac

Postby prolonga » Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 pm

madrac wrote:As to the noise, the video doesn't address this (as far as I can tell).

yes, you are right but I linked that video with the sole purpose to show the vacuum components.
I'll try to open up it;

and that you'll need to use an allen head wrench to hold the shaft so it doesn't spin when un-doing the nut.

There is only one way to unscrew that nut: a pipe wrench; I'm afraid I have to disassemble the upper part to hold the shaft because a pipe wrench doesn't get along with an allen wrench......

I'll let you know, tks
prolonga

Previous

Return to Support Forum