Prime - vibration isolator questions?

Re: Prime - vibration isolator questions?

Postby edw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:59 pm

Finally found the right firmness set of inserts ...

https://youtu.be/ZGcoYV68mJw
edw

Postby Brf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:42 am

edw wrote:Finally found the right firmness set of inserts ...

Congrats! What durometer did you end up with?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby edw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:37 am

Brf wrote:
edw wrote:Finally found the right firmness set of inserts ...

Congrats! What durometer did you end up with?

50A. Also experimented with shorter than the usual length.
edw

Postby Kfscoll » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 am

edw wrote:Sucess! HW40 feet iinstalled.

20200125_164531.jpg

Did you have to modify the motor housing’s feet at all to get the HW40 feet to work?

for what it’s worth I just ordered the HW40 through the VPI Direct trade-in program so since I had to specify my turntable when I ordered I’m guessing they’ll fit my Prime without modding the motor housing...just wanted to confirm.
Kfscoll

Postby Brf » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:45 am

Kfscoll wrote:
edw wrote:Sucess! HW40 feet iinstalled.

20200125_164531.jpg

Did you have to modify the motor housing’s feet at all to get the HW40 feet to work?

for what it’s worth I just ordered the HW40 through the VPI Direct trade-in program so since I had to specify my turntable when I ordered I’m guessing they’ll fit my Prime without modding the motor housing...just wanted to confirm.

A lot of these types of questions could be easily answered if VPI simply provided the HW40 footer dimensions on their website.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Kfscoll » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Brf wrote:
A lot of these types of questions could be easily answered if VPI simply provided the HW40 footer dimensions on their website.

I read somewhere on the forum that Mat said that various inserts/adapters were going to be made available for the HW40 so they'd fit most VPI tables without additional modifications. Since VPI has a trade-in program going, and they ask for your turntable model before processing your trade-in order, I'd *hope* that the feet I receive don't require additional modifications to work...but I'm obviously not sure if this is the case.
Kfscoll

Postby edw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:19 am

Kfscoll wrote:Did you have to modify the motor housing’s feet at all to get the HW40 feet to work?

No mods needed for the Scout; no mods needed for the Prime, once I got the correct inserts. :D I needed the correct inserts because the HW40 feet I purchased were originally for the Scout. Did not order the ones for the Prime (just made the Scout ones fit).

However, the Prime's motor is pretty noisy vibration wise. It actually measures noisier than the Scout motor with a bigger peak at 120Hz. So I am experimenting with some alternatives, foam inside the motor housing and different feet, standoffs, etc. It has gotten better but still working on it.
Last edited by edw on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
edw

Postby edw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:20 am

Brf wrote:A lot of these types of questions could be easily answered if VPI simply provided the HW40 footer dimensions on their website.

True and the sorbothane foam does compress a lot depending on how heavy the table is.
edw

Postby Votan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

edw wrote:What is the best way to remove the rubber isolators that are threaded inside of the 4 feet?

Also, am I correct that the isolators are 1" in diameter, have 1/2" length threaded bolts (1/4-20 thread) on both sides, and the rubber isolator itself is 3/4" thick? Thanks.

If someone wants to bypass the effect that rubber isolators have on the sound or the leveling of their TT can construct 4 rings about 8 mm thick, from aluminum and/or stainless steel, with an external diameter of 56 mm and an internal diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the rubber isolator.
From my experimentation with my TT resting on my Finite Elemente Referernce platform I found aluminium most to my tastes. Compared to rubber isolators the sound is a bit more crisp and transparent with more tight LF and more coherent HF.
Bypassing the rubber isolators.jpg
Bypassing the rubber isolators.jpg (25.06 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

Postby Votan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 am

To add in my post above, that for ease and immediacy of comparing the sonic identity of rubber isolators vs metal rings, instead of a full metal ring, one can place semi-rings that come in and out much more easily.
I should also point out, however, that any sound variation in relation to rubber isolators and the above proposed bypassing of them, also greatly depends on the platform on which TT is resting, as well as how well the motor is isolated from bringing the noise inside the platter through the TT feet.
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum