The Lemo connector blows away RCA and XLR connectors

Re: The Lemo connector blows away RCA and XLR connectors

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Back to the original topic.

A while back my buddy had his tonearm (Tri-Planar) completely rewired with one continuous run of 5N Oxygen free silver. The wiring appeared to be very delicate, therefore, care and caution was needed.

Once placed in his system, a low level hum was generated. We assume that this was EMI/RFI as the cable was completely un-shielded and attenuated with an increase in volume. Once the music started, you could no hear the hum, but knowing it was there was troublesome. We tried everything, including changing phono stages and moving equipment. The hum was solved when we put the un-shielded cable through an aquarium pvc tube that was sliced longitudinal and then wrapped in an expandable copper braid around the pvc tube and then tied to the phone stage's ground lug (Quasi faraday cage). Hum solved and the cable sounded awesome. Two years later, he snagged the delicate cable which broke off the cable at the arm's entry point. He has since gone back to the phono interface box approach.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 am

Absolutely a problem with 28 gauge plus wire but for me worth it. Interestingly I have no hum, literally zero. Those speakers are 106 db so any noise stands out like crazy and becomes very annoying, I completely agree with you on the possible fragility of the setup but I think it might be stronger from the junction box to the phono than from the cartridge leads to the phono box.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Golear » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm

No need for long wire if we put the phono stage right where the junction box is. How about replacing the junction box with a phono stage!

I have a Class D amp, that puts out 32W per channel - the amp circuit is the size of a credit card.
Golear

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Golear wrote:No need for long wire if we put the phono stage right where the junction box is. How about replacing the junction box with a phono stage!

I have a Class D amp, that puts out 32W per channel - the amp circuit is the size of a credit card.

Too close to the motor and sensitive cartridge
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Waxxy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Golear wrote:No need for long wire if we put the phono stage right where the junction box is. How about replacing the junction box with a phono stage!

Or replace the junction box with a step-up-transformer a la Bob's Devices Cinemag.
Waxxy

Postby Packgrog » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Waxxy wrote:

Or replace the junction box with a step-up-transformer a la Bob's Devices Cinemag.

Yeah, it's a great idea for MC carts, but holy crap is it expensive for what it is. https://www.bobsdevices.com/product-pag ... ransformer
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Waxxy wrote:

The idea is to reduce the number of connections from cartridge pins to the phono stage. A step-up-transformer still needs a phono stage.
Johnny

Postby Waxxy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Johnny wrote:
Waxxy wrote:

The idea is to reduce the number of connections from cartridge pins to the phono stage. A step-up-transformer still needs a phono stage.

Many folks use outboard SUTs along with a phono stage...for these folks it does reduce the number of connections, and it significantly shortens the path to the first level of amplification.
Waxxy

Postby Waxxy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Many of you may remember Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg RIP. He wrote an article many years back espousing the benefits of reducing connections in the analog signal path. He also recommended trying simple 30 gauge magnet wire for interconnects. So I tried this experiment back in the day when I had a Kenwood KD-990 turntable with a removable headshell on the tonearm. At that time I figured I was eliminating a total of 8 connection points by running the magnet wire from the cartridge clips/tags directly to the phono stage and soldering them to the circuit board. Eventualy I changed phono stages and just added a set of RCAs to the end of the magnet wire as opposed to soldering to the circuit board.

In this photo you can see a fine loop of copper colored wire near the tonearm pivot, similar to the VPI style wire loop.

I was happy with the minor improvements made by this inexpensive tweak, but of course could not directly attribute the improvements to the bypassing of all the connections, as the wire had also changed.

P6010396_11.jpg
P6010396_11.jpg (219.51 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Waxxy

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Waxxy wrote:
Johnny wrote:
Waxxy wrote:

Many folks use outboard SUTs along with a phono stage...for these folks it does reduce the number of connections, and it significantly shortens the path to the first level of amplification.

Okay, I see where you were going now. If one is currently using a SUT, a junction box SUT combination does reduce one connection.
Johnny

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner