Replacing older pivot bearing on Classic 3 with spike-only

Re: Replacing older pivot bearing on Classic 3 with spike-on

Postby masluck1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am

Brf wrote:
masluck1 wrote:Hi brf,

I just checked and I do in fact have the holes there, but no screws and that is the way I got it from the previous owner. I didn't know enough to ask and this solves a mystery, so I can't thank you enough!!! Can you tell me what kind they are (i.e. size/pitch) and maybe I can source them locally if they are not to hard to come by. Also, if VPI still has them, maybe I can get them from them...dunno...thanks again!!!

Mark

Sorry, I don't recall off hand the length and size of the socket head cap screw but they are fairly common. The arm board is tapped for the correct sized diameter and pitch, therefore, you could take you arm board to a hardware store to match the correct size. For length, just make sure that the socket head cap screw clears the plinth holes and allows a 1/2" of thread to go into the arm board.

Thanks again sir!! Do you recall if there were a specific torque on each both (and a tightening pattern - like on a motor's cylinder head/gasket)? I really appreciate all your help and guidance!!!

Mark
VPI TNT IV JMW 12.0, VPI SDS, VAS Nova HW, Blue Circle 703 SE, Blue Circle BC3000 MKII GZpz SE, Blue Circle NSP-G, Blue Circle BC501b, Moon 260D CD, Blue Circle BC6000, Sonus Faber Liuto speakers, Rythmik F12SE subs, Luminous Audio/Triode Wire Labs cable
masluck1

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm

masluck1 wrote:
Brf wrote:
masluck1 wrote:Hi brf,

I just checked and I do in fact have the holes there, but no screws and that is the way I got it from the previous owner. I didn't know enough to ask and this solves a mystery, so I can't thank you enough!!! Can you tell me what kind they are (i.e. size/pitch) and maybe I can source them locally if they are not to hard to come by. Also, if VPI still has them, maybe I can get them from them...dunno...thanks again!!!

Mark

Sorry, I don't recall off hand the length and size of the socket head cap screw but they are fairly common. The arm board is tapped for the correct sized diameter and pitch, therefore, you could take you arm board to a hardware store to match the correct size. For length, just make sure that the socket head cap screw clears the plinth holes and allows a 1/2" of thread to go into the arm board.

Thanks again sir!! Do you recall if there were a specific torque on each both (and a tightening pattern - like on a motor's cylinder head/gasket)? I really appreciate all your help and guidance!!!

Mark

No specific torque or pattern required since there is no gasket to seat, just do not over tighten at the risk of stripping the acrylic threads. I would also purchase some lock washers to put on the cap head side. With 6 bolts holding down the arm board, it's not going anywhere.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Stringreen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am

I have a Classic platter with ball at the bottom....I didn't even know they changed it. Is it worth getting a new bearing? Its on a SuperScoutmaster/rim drive. (but much newer Classic platter)
Stringreen

Postby Brf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:27 am

Stringreen wrote:I have a Classic platter with ball at the bottom....I didn't even know they changed it. Is it worth getting a new bearing? Its on a SuperScoutmaster/rim drive. (but much newer Classic platter)

Very interesting. I did not know that they made a Classic platter with a traditional oil bath bearing. You would need to change the platter also to accommodate an inverted bearing. Too bad you couldn't borrow an inverted Classic platter and bearing and compare it to your oil bathed bearing Classic platter to see if you could discern a sonic difference. Personally, I would not worry about changing it.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Brf wrote:Personally, I would worry about changing it.

Did you leave out a 'not' there Brf?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Dorian wrote:
Brf wrote:Personally, I would worry about changing it.

Did you leave out a 'not' there Brf?

Sure did...thx! Post edited
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Votan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 am

Brf wrote:Personally, I would not worry about changing it.

Hi Brf
Since it's not clear to me, do you recommend switching to an inverted bearing or staying in the oil bath?
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

Postby Brf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:07 am

Votan wrote:
Brf wrote:Personally, I would not worry about changing it.

Hi Brf
Since it's not clear to me, do you recommend switching to an inverted bearing or staying in the oil bath?

Personally, I would stay with the oil bath bearing. Proven design and easy to maintain. I must add that I have never had an opportunity to compare an identical platter, within the same system, with the only difference being one having an oil bath vs inverted bearing. There could be sonic differences between the two designs, but is purely speculation on my part.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Votan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 am

Brf, I will totally agree with you, especially after my recent experience with inverted bearing ....
I'll be back soon to a new thread on the whole subject ...
Prime Signature/10"3DR/Finite Element(FE) platform/ADS/Lyra Titan/VPI Ring/WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable/Groove+ SRX MkII Phono Stage/Moon 740 Pre/Moon 820 PSU/ATC 100 Active Speakers/AQ Niagara IC/WW Silver Electra A/C,FE Ref Rack/RPG Room Treatm.
Votan

Previous

Return to Support Forum