Pure Audio Project

Re: Pure Audio Project

Postby Shep » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Thank you all for the comments...much appreciated.
Yes, it's a little self-indulgent to have a dedicated space but there's room for guests and I enjoy having people over for a listen.

The 45 degree corners were at the suggestion of Jim Smith (Get Better Sound author) and it does provide more evenly loaded bass frequencies in the room. Corners are back-filled with R-30 insulation and act as bass-traps to some extent.

The tube amp (Dynaco ST-70) is out of service and is "decorative" only. No place to store it, so it offers a little damping for the sub. If nothing else, it's a conversation starter for folks who've never seen a tube amp. Amplification is Ayre V5 xe and K1xe preamp.
Attachments
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1523 times
Prime Signature Rosewood; Fatboy Gimbal; Ortofon Windfeld Ti; B.M.C. MCCI Phono Pre
Shep

Postby Harry » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 am

Nice setup and a great pair of speakers. Not a bad table either. The 45 corners are what we did in our big listening room, they really work.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Shep » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks Harry...good to hear the effects of 45 degree corners are beneficial in your room as well.

Also, it's been my experience that you and Zev' share attributes that make both VPI & Pure Audio Project customer-centric and relatable. I consider myself fortunate to have products from both companies in my system.

Wishing you and yours a Joyful Holiday Season!!
Prime Signature Rosewood; Fatboy Gimbal; Ortofon Windfeld Ti; B.M.C. MCCI Phono Pre
Shep

Postby MMMC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 am

adeep42 wrote:Hello Harry,

I've been really interested in the PAP 15 Quintets since I first heard them at the NY Audio Show 3 years ago. Since then I've had several conversations with Zev. I wonder if you would comment on your thoughts re: the PAP horn vs. Voxative? I plan to run them with SET amplification and am currently considering Cary's SET integrated.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Alan

adeep42(Alan)

I can see your thoughts are moving forward on your future SET audio system. I see your thoughts of a possible Cary set up for power and control of the system. Have you considered 300B or 2A3 tubed monoblocs to power your SET system? With efficient horn speakers, high powered amplification is not paramount. "Musicality" is. In my humble opinion and experience, "low" powered triode tubes like the 2A3 and 300B tubes, including the 45 sound best in SET systems. A Cary pre-amp would still fit there. I do not wish to derail the Pure Audio speaker direction, but each small piece of a SET setup is important in the final sonics. We can move my thoughts to personal or p-mail.
MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby adeep42 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:19 pm

MMMC,

Thanks for your thoughts. Really appreciated. Have been exploring SET systems for some time and have been speaking to Ze've about the Quintets with SET power for some time as well. What pushed me over the edge was Herb Reichert's article and several follow up comments in Stereophile re: the Elekit TU-8600 kit amp. I built one and replaced an AudioNote Kit EL34 integrated in my second system. I was and still am blown away. So, off I went and placed my order with Pure Audio Project. My initial thought about amplification was Line Magnetic. Then I found out that I couldn't fit it into my rack. Started doing research for alternative. The Carey CAD-300 SEI is an amp from the Dennis Hadd era. It's been in production for over 20 years with super reviews even today. So it's my starting point. There's no turning back. I sold my Martin Logans and all my PrimaLuna stuff. Onward and upward!!!!!!!!

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Cary Audio CAD 300SEI
Pure Audio Project Quintet15/Voxative AC-PiFi
adeep42

Postby Brf » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Alan if you can get away with less than 6 watts, i HIGHLY recommend looking at a company called Triode Labs.

http://www.triodelab.com/
Brf
Site Admin

Postby adeep42 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks Brf. I actually love the Triode Labs amps. The stated sensitivity of the Quintet 15s is ~96db. I just think that I'de be better off with the flexibility of a tad more power. Four watts gets you unclipped peaks of 102db. 15 watts gets you to 108.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Cary Audio CAD 300SEI
Pure Audio Project Quintet15/Voxative AC-PiFi
adeep42

Postby Golear » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Pure Audio Project often go to shows with Whammerdyne amps. They have a 4 W amp, made around what's supposed to be "the best" tube ever made. They have two models. They're a local company and I wish them every success. But I have no connections to the company.

You could put very low power to the tweeter, and may be 1000 W to the woofer?
Golear

Postby MMMC » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:55 am

adeep42 wrote:Thanks Brf. I actually love the Triode Labs amps. The stated sensitivity of the Quintet 15s is ~96db. I just think that I'de be better off with the flexibility of a tad more power. Four watts gets you unclipped peaks of 102db. 15 watts gets you to 108.

adeep42,
I own a pair of Welbourne Labs 2A3 Moondog monoblocs, power rated to be 3.5 watts per channel. I formerly used Klipschorns, but when I downsized my living space, I moved to Klipsch RF-7 speakers, sensiitivity-102db. I have never had an issue with clipping. A couple of additional points. SET=Single Ended "Triode". The 45, 2A3, and 300B are "triodes". Triodes are wonderful sounding tubes, and most "good" SET amps are built with very good/strong transformers, which translates to less audio clipping than the numbers lead you to believe. The quality of the iron( aka-the transformers) along with the other parts,is what creates the audio magic of SET amps. The SET kits recommended by BRF are SUPER nice because you can really trick out the audio output,(refine), with high performance parts that will take you WAY, WAY, beyond the Cary you are considering, beginning with the available transformer options alone. I am asking that you please trust Brf, and me on these points. At least give them a call, because you can do much better than the Cary. Btw, I am not a Cary hater by any means. I own a Cary Tube preamp. Here is an image that resembles my 2A3 monoblocs.
Image (Mine are more aesthetic however)

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby MMMC » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:16 am

Adeep,

I forgot to mention one more thing. The large tube with the brown base in the photo of the 2A3 Moondog is the rectifier tube. "Tube" based rectification is another one of those small details in the design and build of a SET amp which also contributes to the refinement of the end audio output. So if you like to build, searching out the plans for the Welbourne Labs 2A3 build kit is also definitely worth while. Maybe you might find it on the SET Asylum site.

MMMC
MMMC

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner