SDS vs ADS

SDS vs ADS

Postby gene9p » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 am

Has the newer built ADS improved enough to switch from using the SDS?
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
Hana ML Microline MC Cartridge 0.4mV
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH P3 ESR'S
BRYSTON MIN A'S
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Re: SDS vs ADS

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 am

:!:
Last edited by vienna acoustics on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
!
vienna acoustics

Postby Johnny » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:13 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:
gene9p wrote:Has the newer built ADS improved enough to switch from using the SDS?

Wait until Saturday, the new generation ADS will be presented at Capitol Audio Show

Has this been confirmed that a new/updated/upgraded ADS is been unveiled or is this speculation? Hoping form the former.
Johnny

Postby topcat84 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 am

Do you think VPI would consider a trade-in of my 1 year old ADS for the new SDS? Cheers!
McIntosh 2105/McIntosh C28/McIntosh MR78/VPI Classic w/3D Tonearm/VPI Ring Clamp/VPI HRX Weight/Teac TN-300/audio technica AT-LP120-USB/Sony TC-756 RTR/Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette/Marantz SA8005 CD/Soundscraftsmen RP2215-R Equalizer/JBL L200/Klipsch RF-7 II
topcat84

Postby Stringreen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:51 pm

..just wondering what the aural advantage of the ADS is over the SDS.
Stringreen

Postby pursuitofnow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Sorry if I've missed it, but was the updated version auditioned? Availability?
VPI Classic Signature (2M Black)
Decware ZP3-25th > ZSTAGE-25th
PS Audio DirectStream DAC
Decware ZTPRE > ZBIT > ZROCK2-25th
Decware SE84UFO3-25th
Omega Super 3 HO XRS, Deep 8
Zenwave D4, ZSTYX, TWL
PI Audio Uberbuss, Digibuss, Mongo
pursuitofnow

Postby Golear » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:36 am

Stringreen wrote:..just wondering what the aural advantage of the ADS is over the SDS.

In my system, I definitely hear a big improvement when all the digital gear in my room is switched off and disconnected from power. Less sibilance in the top end. Less "bite". Smoother sound. If I was going to get a controller, it would be an ADS. But I think the benefit will only come through if you switch all the digital gear off.
Golear

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:48 am

Golear wrote:In my system, I definitely hear a big improvement when all the digital gear in my room is switched off and disconnected from power.

Golear- Do you only turn off the digital gear in your listening room? Wouldn't digital equipment in other parts of the house also create "digital noise" both radiated RFI through the air and conducted through the house wiring? You would have to turn off and unplug every digital appliance in your house (and most likely your neighbor's house(s)) including all computers, cell phones, digital clocks, cable modems, internet routers, all BlueTooth devices, TVs, radios, thermostats, water and power meter monitors and anything else with a digital display, clock source, transmitter or receiver. After doing that, you will need to build an RF anechoic chamber for a listening room because any AM or FM radio broadcast station will produce RF levels at your listening position an order of magnitude higher (or more) than any of those previously removed items. Seems a bit drastic, doesn't it? :?

Of course if you have an HW40 DD table as your analog front end, you will be SOL as it has a digital controller for the motor and the output uses PWM at 10kHz (36VPP square waves) within inches of the cartridge pickup. :oops:
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Postby Golear » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm

No. As I've said before whenever someone brings up this type of argument, just try it. If you hear a difference, then let that guide your decisions. If you don't hear a difference, then let that guide your decision. In science, as you know, experiment always trumps theory. And in hi-fi, the ultimate judge is whether you can hear something, or not.

In my experience, turning off all the digital gear in the same room as my sound system makes a big difference. And by big, I mean "to my ears". I switch off the TV, cable box and Blu-Ray player. I don't have any digital gear in my sound system - just a turntable and an analog tuner. It's a total pain switching off the cable box because when I turn it on again, it takes several minutes for it to download the channels. But, for me, it's worth it. If you try this, and don't hear a difference, then... great!

I don't need to turn off the other TV and cable box (in another room), or the electrical equipment in other rooms. My ears tell me that and that's all I need to know. But if I was looking for some scientific theory that would correlate with that experience, may be the reach of the digital gremlins decreases by the cube of the distance from my hi-fi gear. And may be certain frequencies bounce around in my other room, and so only a little bit will come out. But don't quote me on that. And whatever the "explanation", it is secondary to my experience.

So there does seem to be a threshold. Because of that, I don't switch off more gear in my home and I've not asked my neighbors to switch off all their digital gear. I've not constructed a sound room 3 storeys underground or moved to a place where the nearest neighbour is 5 km away. I also don't switch off my phone, and my Mac doesn't make a difference, even when placed on my preamp.

I do wish my tuner didn't have a digital display. But I don't hear a difference with the tuner on or off. But it is an old tuner, with an analog power supply. And there's a dramatic improvement in the sound of my Class D power amp, when I changed from a switching power supply to an old-school regulated linear power supply. May be the digital circuits themselves are fine, but switching power supplies can be problematic.

But I don't have a full explanation - which is to say, I don't have a theory for this. And in the absence of a theory, I can't make any predictions. So I'll just have to hear the HW40. And I've not heard an SDS or an ADS, either.

(As for "bad" mains power, my view is that mains power is usually very good, and all the "power conditioner" products do is modify the electronic devices themselves. But that's a different topic.)
Golear

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Good answer! In my experience, I don't hear any difference with or without digital devices or even between switching/linear power supplies. I generally don't trust my hearing for something as subtle as this, it is too easily influenced by multiple factors that I have little control over as well as being highly subjective and difficult to quantify.

Not a big fan of theories as well, I prefer settled science and measurements (as you may already be aware of). FYI, radiated RFI decreases linearly with distance, i.e. if you double the distance the induced voltage will be cut in half (-6dB); power changes at the square of the distance (double the distance and the power is reduced by 4x, also -6dB). Conducted spurious (through cables) will depend on a number of variables and could be difficult to predict, but fairly straight forward to measure.

I wish you happy listening.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed..." --Nietzsche
Phoenix Engineering

Next

Return to General Audio