My thoughts on Analog Magik

Re: My thoughts on Analog Magik

Postby Tirebiter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:17 pm

tony22 wrote:
Tirebiter wrote:.But I also believe that these experiences bring up another subject that people do not like to talk about much....stylus to cantilever alignment. If you think about it, one can align the cantilever with any fancy tool you can name till the cows come home but if the stylus is not in proper alignment with the cantilever, the way the stylus sits in the grove will be wrong. Perhaps with some types of stylus designs this is not an issue but with others it probably is. There is no way for the average Joe using just a protractor can know why his set up does not perform or worse thinks that his set up is great when in fact, it could be a lot better. And to me, the value of AM is it's ability to expose seemingly minor flaws and up to a point, make adjustments to live with it or provide justification to return a flawed cartridge.

“Ding ding ding!” You get the prize, Brock. :D I’d mentioned this as well, but you’ve described this much better than I did. HW suggested this is part of why I think he liked aluminum cantilevers. The stamped end with a laser drilled hole makes it much more likely that the stylus will be properly positioned with respect to the cantilever.

Yes, well that prize and $5 will get me a cup of coffee somewhere right? ;) But thanks, nonetheless! When you spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to extract the analog information from a vinyl disk, you begin to realize how important geometry is. Thus on the flip side when you can see analytical results that don't make sense, even when you think you have the geometry spot on, you have to consider what other factors could be lurking in the shadows to spoil the party. Accuracy of stylus mount is one of those unseen gremlins. And yes, I would agree with Harry's comments concerning aluminum cantilevers and likely stylus mount accuracy.
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Lamm LL2 Pre , Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby leftside » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Tirebiter wrote:
Almost imperceptible adjustments to zenith evened out VTA for me. I think I ended up with about 3.5-3.9% IMD between the two channels. But remember, adjustments to one variable will have an effect on others where zenith/VTA and azimuth seemed to be particularly coupled. So once VTA is more in line with what you are trying to achieve be sure to check azimuth and correct as needed...then go back and check VTA and adjust if needed. It is an iterative process.

Yes indeed. This is what Richard posted over on audio nirvana:

This is what I usually do:

1) Set VTF to approx. factory recommended range
2) Pivot to Spindle.
3) Set Azimuth to completely flat level, set Antiskating to ZERO
4) Set VTA via arm at 15 degree or microscope at 92 degree SRA.
5) Perform alignment, perform dynamic alignment w/ landing behavior using SMARTractor or Uni-Tractor.
6) Check Speed / W&F
7) Azimuth
8) Anti-skate
9) VTA
10) VTF
12) GAIN / LOADING
13) Repeat Azimuth, Antiskate, VTA/VTF (This takes a long time).
14) Set Headshell Screw to approx. 0.65 Inch Lbs. (Pay attention ! this is not NM or whatever, it is Inch Lbs.).
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby vienna acoustics » Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am

With my new BLDC drive, Analog Magik is practically the only tool I have To measure vibrations through distortions measurements. (I have ordered 3 axis accelerometer Sensors and Specialized software to achieve more specialized measurements).

What I have noticed is that the major lower vibration and noise from the motors, have direct impact on the rest settings. Besides the reduction of the measured wow/flutter, the Noise and vibration decrease, enables better resolution and precise adjustments on VTA, Azimuth and consequently to antiskating which are making sense and are reflected on the measurements.

It seems that increased noise and vibration are hiding in a way the result and the measurements of the precise or minimal adjustments

This is also written at the Help pdf file of the software.

613AF0D8-144B-4A46-9D57-028F7E47B2D6.jpeg
613AF0D8-144B-4A46-9D57-028F7E47B2D6.jpeg (5.94 MiB) Viewed 78 times
!
vienna acoustics

Previous

Return to General Audio