BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLEMS

BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLEMS

Postby JJJS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:53 am

HI Matt (and others), I have an issue in getting replacement belts. Every now and than my belts break and than I got tremendous problems in getting the right belts for my Aries 3 with (230 V / 500 RPM) single motor flywheel again. I normally buy these via an UK distributor, but they repeatedly send me the wrong belts: the short ones (2 included) are too thick and long, guess they are for the slightly larger HRX 250RPM pulleys.

I am now again for well over a month without my turntable while the UK importer is "investigating the issue". This really spoils the fun! I also got the new Benelux importer involved.

Matt, COULD YOU PLEASE HELP OUT?? Apparently the importers/distributors over here are lost in which belts are on which models.
JJJS

Re: BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLEMS

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am

The drive belts are easily sourced in the UK from any O-ring supplier. Measure the belt's cross section (width) and the belts diameter. Diameter can be tricky to measure, therefore, if you have a broken belt measure it's length which will give you the belt's circumstance. Once you know the belt's circumference, the formulae for Diameter = Circumference / 3.14. Get an o-ring made from either EPDM or Nitrile.

You can also do the same for the platter belt, but they will need to be custom made from o-ring cord with the ends fused together. Some o-ring manufactures do a good job at fusing the ends without creating a bump/ridge, but IME, it is hit and miss.
Brf
Site Admin

Re: BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLEMS

Postby JJJS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am

Looked it up and ordered a bunch of approximate sizes.....Thanks for the tip!
JJJS

Return to Support Forum