Periphery Ring Shock

Re: Periphery Ring Shock

Postby edw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Late to the game.

Question - if you have an LP on the platter, use the periphery ring, run the motor to spin the platter, BUT leave your tonearm in its rest (e.g., not playing the LP that is spinning), do you still get the static from the ring?

Question - when you tried using a ground wire from the bottom of the spindle to the junction box, did you check with a DMM to see if you had continuity from the top of the spindle to the ground lug on the junction box?

Question - if you lift the tonearm off of the spike and use a DMM, do you have continuity from the spike tip (not just the spike holder) to the ground lug on the junction box?
edw

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm

edw wrote:Late to the game.

Question - if you have an LP on the platter, use the periphery ring, run the motor to spin the platter, BUT leave your tonearm in its rest (e.g., not playing the LP that is spinning), do you still get the static from the ring?

Yes but I had already removed the wire (that previously made no difference without the record in place).

edw wrote:Question - when you tried using a ground wire from the bottom of the spindle to the junction box, did you check with a DMM to see if you had continuity from the top of the spindle to the ground lug on the junction box?

Question - if you lift the tonearm off of the spike and use a DMM, do you have continuity from the spike tip (not just the spike holder) to the ground lug on the junction box?

When I get my DMM back this weekend I will try these to see what I get. For your third question, should I also disconnect the Lemo or just lift the tonearm off the spike?
Vear

Postby edw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Vear wrote:
edw wrote:Late to the game.

Yes but I had already removed the wire (that previously made no difference without the record in place).

I don't quite understand. Irrespective of you having used the ground wire under the spindle or not, do you have static if the LP is spinning but the tonearm is OFF (e.g., not touching) the LP?

Vear wrote:
edw wrote:Question - when you tried using a ground wire from the bottom of the spindle to the junction box, did you check with a DMM to see if you had continuity from the top of the spindle to the ground lug on the junction box?

When I get my DMM back this weekend I will try these to see what I get. For your third question, should I also disconnect the Lemo or just lift the tonearm off the spike?

Yes, remove the Lemo connector.

And if you find that you do not have continuity from the tonearm spike to the ground lug, I usually find it is because the spike has oxidized over time. You can use some fine sandpaper on the spike to get that oxidation off (and sharpen the spike too) and restore continuity.

As an aside, my sense is that the epoxy used to hold the spike to its holder is not conductive enough. When I had the opportunity to replace my spike, I used a dab of silver impregnated conductive epoxy and haven't had the issue since.
edw

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 pm

edw wrote:[

I don't quite understand. Irrespective of you having used the ground wire under the spindle or not, do you have static if the LP is spinning but the tonearm is OFF (e.g., not touching) the LP?

To clarify, yes- I do get the static with the record spinning (unplayed) under the ring and the tone arm is off and sitting in it's rest. It only happens with the Ring in place.

edw wrote:Yes, remove the Lemo connector.

And if you find that you do not have continuity from the tonearm spike to the ground lug, I usually find it is because the spike has oxidized over time. You can use some fine sandpaper on the spike to get that oxidation off (and sharpen the spike too) and restore continuity.

As an aside, my sense is that the epoxy used to hold the spike to its holder is not conductive enough. When I had the opportunity to replace my spike, I used a dab of silver impregnated conductive epoxy and haven't had the issue since.

I'll check the continuity as per your instructions over the weekend.

In the meantime, I will say that with tonearm on the spike it is quiet at the speakers (talking about noise, not the static) but if I lift the tonearm off the spike with the Lemo still connected I can hear an increase in noise (not sure if that's normal). Once I place the tonearm back on the spike it's dead quiet again.

As for the static, if I walk up and touch the tone arm I get no static. The static only seems to happen when I touch the spinning periphery ring.
Vear

Postby madrac » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Sounds like a grounding problem as suggested. Generally, stainless isn't a good conductor so I'm a bit surprised this is where the static build up is occurring. That said, how old is your ring? It's my understanding at some point in time a different material (grade of stainless?) was used which was more magnetic -- does a magnet stick to the ring?

If cleaning the spike doesn't help (0000 steel wool works as well as fine sandpaper previously mentioned), maybe also take the felts off the ring and see if the charge conducts through the platter to the grounding wire you installed.
madrac

Postby Vear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:55 pm

madrac wrote:Sounds like a grounding problem as suggested. Generally, stainless isn't a good conductor so I'm a bit surprised this is where the static build up is occurring. That said, how old is your ring? It's my understanding at some point in time a different material (grade of stainless?) was used which was more magnetic -- does a magnet stick to the ring?

If cleaning the spike doesn't help (0000 steel wool works as well as fine sandpaper previously mentioned), maybe also take the felts off the ring and see if the charge conducts through the platter to the grounding wire you installed.

I purchased the table used so I assume the ring is as old as the table. If it helps determine the age, the ring has two clear yellow belts on the outer edge grooves instead of the black ones I usually see.

A magnet will stick on lightly but not with a strong grip.

Not sure I understand how the spike might be related? If the tonearm on the spike is silent even when I touch it doesn't that mean that the male spike and female tonearm cup are making a good connection?
Vear

Postby edw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:20 pm

FWIW, on my periphery ring, when I use some strong neodymium magnets, I can feel a very slight attraction to the ring (like Frodo!). But the magnet does not stick and will roll off the ring at will.
edw

Postby edw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 pm

Vear wrote:In the meantime, I will say that with tonearm on the spike it is quiet at the speakers (talking about noise, not the static) but if I lift the tonearm off the spike with the Lemo still connected I can hear an increase in noise (not sure if that's normal). Once I place the tonearm back on the spike it's dead quiet again.

That will likely mean that you have continuity at the spike to the ground lug, which is good and which likely means it is not contributing to your static issue. But I would check continuity anyway just to be sure.
edw

Postby madrac » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:54 am

edw wrote:
That will likely mean that you have continuity at the spike to the ground lug, which is good and which likely means it is not contributing to your static issue. But I would check continuity anyway just to be sure.

Agreed on both points.

As to your ring/yellow belts, I do not know if that indicates age. FWIW, magnet doesn't stick to mine.
madrac

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 am

Can the ring belts be easily removed? Yollowish color seems like they are old. Remove and test again. Also, is there any polish on the ring? Try a good cleaning with 91% iso alcohol. Just trying to cover all bases.
Mr_Putty

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum