Moving Magnet Cartridge

Postby Stringreen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Anyone using one?.....how to compare to MC
Stringreen

Re: Moving Magnet Cartridge

Postby MMMC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:17 am

Stringreen wrote:Anyone using one?.....how to compare to MC

Stringreen,

This is a very broad and very "loaded" question with many different possible responses, depending on the user's sonic preferences, one's current, or future hardware choices, one's budget, and one's vinyl collection. There is no one answer that fits all. Very "Generally" speaking, implementing the MM cartridge will require less total capitol outlay if it is completely a matter of dollars and cents. YMMV.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Shep » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Recently swapped in this Audio Technica AT15SS, which was being used on another turntable, just for a change of pace. It's performance on the other turntable enticed me to see how it would sound on the VPI...it's the best MM cart I've heard. I'll probably leave it installed for a few months to get a good feel for it on different types of music before returning to my primary cart.
Attachments
IMG_0207.JPG
Audio Technica AT15SS
IMG_0207.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 226 times
Shep

Postby kurtster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am

I have two AT15SS bodies and one with the original stylus which is critical. On the other body I have a NOS ATN20Sla stylus and it is just not the same. Still good but not all there. The AT15SS is what re energized my love for vinyl when I got one. Best cart I've ever owned and love the sound. Since the original styluses are gone and the JICO ones suck I keep looking for more on EBay. They are now pretty much all gone. I recently stumbled on a rare NOS AT Precept PC440 with the Shibata on a beryllium cantilever just like the AT15SS. Has the same specs. The Shibata on the PC440 was only available on the initial release of this cart and was downgraded, imho, to a microline with an aluminum cantilever IIRC. The PC440 is now my main cart and playing back rips of the same album by both carts there is basically no difference what so ever. There is still plenty of hours left on my 15SS so when the PC dies, I have a back up plan. I think that I have just cracked 100 hours on the PC440. I expect to get at least a couple of thousand more out of it, provided the suspension doesn't give out first. Knocks on wooden head ...
kurtster

Postby Golear » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 am

I had a Benz MC-20E cartridge. Terrific sound. Tonally, I could see why REG (a reviewer for original Absolute Sound magazine) preferred them over MC cartridges. Back in the day, MC cartridges had finer detail and better soundstage, but they all had a "thin" top end. The MM cartridge were tonally more accurate.

I think matching cartridges to arms is important, though. I used the Benz on an SME IIIs tonearm, which I think had an effective mass of just 6 g. It was a match made in heaven. Best tracker, ever! Sailed over warps and ripples like they weren't there. Amazingly good sound.
Golear

Return to Support Forum