SDS and ADS Replacement Solution

Re: SDS and ADS Replacement Solution

Postby madrac » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 am

Dorian wrote:2. The motor pod is now way too low. Suggestions for raising it please, and at the same time coupling it to my Symposium Ultra shelf and making sure it doesn't slide around? We had another thread about this somewhere but I can't find it sorry.

Hi Dorian,
I can't find the thread either -- but I seem to recall Stillpoint minis may have been threaded in to replace the stock feet. Depending on how much you need to raise the motor, maybe shims (eg washers) between the housing and foot, although this doesn't address coupling.
madrac

Postby jonathanb » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:30 am

It does not look to me as if there is enough room between the top of the motor pod and the bottom of the platter to raise the motor pod in order to get the pulley to the required height. If so, It may be necessary to use a longer motor shaft
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 am

jonathanb wrote:It does not look to me as if there is enough room between the top of the motor pod and the bottom of the platter to raise the motor pod in order to get the pulley to the required height. If so, It may be necessary to use a longer motor shaft

Good point Jonathan. I will ask Garrett about that now. Garrett's response on the motor noise is below:

"These motors are certainly audible when your ear is right above it, and I tested yours in the shop and it's no exception. These motors have more of an audible "whir" to them than many other motors, but this is relatively high-frequency noise, which is very limited in its ability to permeate into your system. These ultra-low vibration motors have this noise in place of the low frequency vibration that most dual-phase motors have, keeping motor noise out of your speakers. If the motor gets noisier, to where it's audible from further away, let us know."
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Maybe ditch the stock rubber feet of the motor pod and try either some Big Tall Tenderfeet or regular Tenderfeet with some Big Fat Dots. Whatever stack will get the motor pod higher without touching the platter itself.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby smashatoms » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm

I’ve been following this thread with interest. I have the Eagle PSU on my Prime but put off getting a Roadrunner until it was too late. If anyone is in the same boat, Sota has confirmed that their Roadrunner is backward compatible with the Phoenix products.

I’m perplexed by your height problem Dorian. If the overall height of the pod+rubber feet is the same as the stock Prime SAMA, why is it short? For reference, the chamfer on the top edge of my Prime SAMA is just proud of the plinth. Are the feet on the motor side of your Prime threaded out for leveling purposes?

Cheers,
Smash
Prime/Audio Musikraft-Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos (PP-2A3)
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1, Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
smashatoms

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Dorian,
Looks like you need a taller pulley or taller motor shaft. Can SOTA make a pulley for you? If not maybe a stock Prime pulley could be adapted to your motor shaft.
:D
Mr_Putty

Postby Dorian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. There was actually quite a bit of room between the top of the motor pod and the platter. Also, Garrett suggested moving the pulley up on the shaft, which was easy to do and there was plenty of room to do that. So using a combination of the two, I've been able to get the height right, to the point where I'm actually not even in the bottom groove of the platter - see video. Right now I only have the motor's stock rubber feet sitting on a flimsy book and first impressions of the sound are excellent. I used to get a ton of noise from the Eagle unit, which is now totally gone. There is a sense of ease and flow that was not there before. You can see in the video the speed is jumping around quite a bit, likely due to the uneven and unstable surface the motor is currently sitting on. Can't wait to get this setup properly and put more hours on it. But first impressions are very good.

phpBB [video]
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby madrac » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Dorian - Speed on the RR on my setup (Classic 1 / Eagle) fluctuates similarly to your video. Per the RR manual, the spec is +/- 0.005 so more likely just measurement accuracy. Curious if the PE setup you used previously was stable in the third decimal place.
madrac

Postby allvinyl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 pm

madrac wrote:Dorian - Speed on the RR on my setup (Classic 1 / Eagle) fluctuates similarly to your video. Per the RR manual, the spec is +/- 0.005 so more likely just measurement accuracy. Curious if the PE setup you used previously was stable in the third decimal place.

Madrac - yes I agree. My Condor/RR does so as well. I do have a flat belt that Donna sent me that I haven't tried yet. I'll see what swapping it for my clear VPI belt does and report back.
John Tverdik
allvinyl

Postby rplace » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:01 pm

I'm using a flat belt from SOTA and their pully. I like the way it rides on the middle of the pully no the top or the bottom, not that that probably matters. Flat or round should not really matter since the condor/roadrunner are keeping the correct speed not a predetermined circumference of pully/belt/platter. 33.3 (or 33.333) should be all that matter now how it gets there, no?

I've always been accustomed to a flat belt from my Basis table. Can't really say why but I've always felt like that VPI "belts" were just repurposed O-Rings. I'm very happy with my SOTA Total Eclipse package, and I don't hear any motor noise. My only complaint would be that my motor does not fit flush in the VPI housing, but that is in no way SOTA's fault.

Garrett was super helpful answering all my questions.
rplace

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum