Help regarding VPI anti-skating device

Re: Help regarding VPI anti-skating device

Postby Golear » Fri May 17, 2019 10:48 pm

When I set up my Modified Mechanical Anti-Skate, the thread was nearly horizontal. I couldn't set it absolutely horizontal because I couldn't lower the anti-skate assembly any further. (I suppose it also depends on the height of the cartridge.)

It just occurred to me that the D-ring (or O-ring) can be rotated until the thread lies along the horizontal plane. There will be a teeny tiny difference in VTF and azimuth, but this can be easily adjusted via my CounterIntuitive. (I can adjust the VTF by moving it forwards/backwards and reset the azimuth by rotating it.)

The more horizontal the thread will be, the less the azimuth will vary as the arm rotates. It might be worth investigating even if you have the Dual Pivot - if the thread is horizontal, the force on the two pivots will be the same throughout the arm's rotation.
Golear

Postby lem321 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Golear and Brf,
Thanks for the tips and help on this.
W
lem321

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun May 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Be sure to check the effect of the wire loop on azimuth. A horizontal a/s line will not guarantee the azimuth is unchanged. Even with the second pivot in use this means the force on the pivot point will vary. In my system it was audible, but minor overall.
Mr_Putty

Postby lem321 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Well, I wrote to Harry and he's going to send me a D-ring for my 12.7 wand if it's available. Wow, what service! Another example of why we all love VPI. Thanks Harry!
lem321

Previous

Return to Support Forum