Hey Matt - Brewing Frustration - Fatboy Counterweight

Hey Matt - Brewing Frustration - Fatboy Counterweight

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri May 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Hey Matt

There is a thread brewing in the Support Section regarding the problem of the Anemic Fatboy Counterweight. Would you please review the thread and address the issue either here or there. Seems like many of us have the counterweight shoved back as far as it will go to get tracking force where we want it. The scab on washer solution is hardly becoming of a 6K + tonearm. I always thought it was better for the counterweight to be closer to the armpost...I like adjustable elements to be in the middle of their range to offer some options.

Please give us your thoughts.

Thanks
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Fri May 10, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Re: Hey Matt - Brewing Frustration - Fatboy Counterweight

Postby jonathanb » Fri May 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I believe Mat and Harry are currently at the Munich audio show.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby 10ovr » Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm

jonathanb wrote:I believe Mat and Harry are currently at the Munich audio show.

Im thinking they have internet in Munich,,,I mite be wrong,, :lol:
10ovr

Postby Myles B. Astor » Fri May 10, 2019 6:40 pm

I suggest speaking to your dealer or Mat. There is a heavier CW or two available.

Not positive but the earlier Fatboy arms may have come with a lighter CW; current arms come with a heavier stock CW.

How heavy is your cartridge and what is the depth (in inches) of your CW?
Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback
VPI Vanquish/Fatboy, SAT LM-12, Atlas SL, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Fuuga
Technics 1506/FM heads/Doshi V3.0 tapestage
Magico S5 M.2
cj ART 300 amplifiers and GAT S.2 preamp
Doshi Audio V3.0 phonostage
Myles B. Astor

Postby 10ovr » Fri May 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Myles B. Astor wrote:I suggest speaking to your dealer or Mat. There is a heavier CW or two available.

Not positive but the earlier Fatboy arms may have come with a lighter CW; current arms come with a heavier stock CW.

How heavy is your cartridge and what is the depth (in inches) of your CW?

I have a new Fat Boy and the weight was all the way to the end and still did not lift the Tonearm off the rest,,Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11235
10ovr

Postby tony22 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:54 pm

This is just weird. I got my gimbal Fatboy in February and I just decided to install my Benz LP-S. I did move the CW back on the collar a little bit, but I really don't know if I had to do this. The Benz balanced out just fine with a little room (not much!) to spare at the back of the CW stub. The LP-S is among the heaviest carts out there.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Stringreen » Sun May 12, 2019 11:52 pm

The LPS is one of the best cartridges out there....have one and love it. I also had to get a heavier counterweight. I'm using the unipivot 3D with the 2nd pivot. VPI attached an auxiliary weight threaded to the rear counterweight so that it can be removed if I later exchanged my cartridge for a lighter one.
Attachments
IMG_0583.jpeg
IMG_0583.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 445 times
Stringreen

Postby tony22 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 am

Stringreen, is that the 180g weight with the additional baby weight on it? I tried the LP-S first on my 10" 3D using the 200g weight and it worked fine. The weight was about midway down the stub.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby 10ovr » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 am

Even with the extra weight Im towards the end of adjustment with a VAS NOVA ,, ImageIMG_1451 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed May 15, 2019 8:13 pm

There is overwhelming evidence that we need a new heavier counterweight for the FatBoy. Will someone at VPI please address this. Matt
Letsmakeadeal

Next

Return to Mat's Corner