New SUPER SCOUTMASTER REFERENCE

New SUPER SCOUTMASTER REFERENCE

Postby ihmeyers » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 am

Just got my first VPI table, a Super Scoutmaster Reference with Rim Drive, SDS and a JMW-12 3DR Tonearm. I'm told the 'table is one of very few (any?) Scoutmaster Reference tables with the JMW 12. Long story short, dealer wanted to sell table, quoted me a price. Told him only if he gave me the 12 3DR arm. He agreed only to find that arm doesn't fit on this table. He got VPI to machine a special arm board to accommodate that arm and I picked it up Friday.

I have never had a unipivot arm before. I have been setting up high-end equipment for 30+ years but this was / is a real PITA for me. Dealer just kind of roughed it in. At some point I'm going to have to find & pay someone local with the equipment to do a proper setup. Right now I just have the Benz Micro Gold because I shot my wad on the table. I think wife will kill me if she finds out how much it was. :D

Long time lurker, happy to make my first post here.

Ian
Palm Beach County, Florida
Attachments
VPI2.jpg
VPI2.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 716 times
VPI1.jpg
VPI1.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 716 times
ihmeyers

Re: New SUPER SCOUTMASTER REFERENCE

Postby 930turbo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi ,

Welcome to the forum , congratulations on your new turntable. First time I saw a 12” arm on a Scoutmaster . Enjoy it in good health .

Best regard,

VPI TNT 6,Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X FatBoy uni 12,Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line,REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby MOON » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Congratulations on the table. I suggest buying a mint protractor if you know the pivot to spindle distance.
http://mintlp.com/best.htm

I had one for my Prime and bought one as well for my recent Classic 4 purchase. You can really dial in the cartridge installation for excellent sound with the mint protractor.
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, tru lift & sweep
MOON

Postby ihmeyers » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 pm

930turbo wrote:Hi ,

Welcome to the forum , congratulations on your new turntable. First time I saw a 12” arm on a Scoutmaster . Enjoy it in good health .

Best regard,

Thank you. According to the guy the dealer works with at VPI, they had never done it before. Dealer had asked before he quoted me whether or not they could install 12" arm on that table. They responded yes. He tried to set it up and obviously it didn't fit. He called VPI and said he was in a jam because he had already told me they could do it. VPI said they would figure out how to fabricate a board so it could be done. I think it looks OK, I hope others think so.

It is is a secondary system right now with a pair of AZ Addagio Jrs and an old VTL amp. When I move and have more space for a proper rack it will go into my main system, Maker Amp/NAT Preamp/Hansen Speakers.

Thanks again,
Ian
ihmeyers

Postby tom collins » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:44 pm

That is the business right there. Don't every get lured by these newer tables, don't let anyone talk you out of it. They don't make em like that anymore.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby ihmeyers » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks Tom.

Dealer swore to me this was one of the best tables VPI ever made. Not well known relative to some other tables but well made. He also said if for some reason I wasn't happy with it, with that arm, rim drive, older (higher quality) SDS, outer rim, etc. I could sell it pretty easily if I ever wanted to.

Right now I'm using a Parasound JC3+ phono stage he let me borrow which seems just OK...

Ian
ihmeyers

Postby tom collins » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 am

It is one of the older models and very high quality. When it came out, it was listed as a stereophile class "a" with the standard 10 inch metal arm. It was the least expensive class "a" by many thousands of dollars. Fremer said he liked it better than the HRX ( if I remember right, the next cheapest class "a" at $15,000) at the time. As for the SDS, do not sell that either. A number of years ago, when a competing model of speed controller came out (since retired from the market), a writer friend from one of the magazines brought one by to compare to my SDS. The numbers were slightly more consistent for the other unit, but I did not hear any differences, and SDS' seem to last forever. The other unit may too, but has not been out long enough to say the same. Remember that it will never sound bad, but proper setup will increase your enjoyment. I recommend the Feikart tools to get close, then use your ears. Spending huge bucks on a cartridge not well set up will not get you as much as a moderate cartridge properly set up. Even with the footers on that table, make sure you have a very solid foundation to place it upon. There are a lot of good options from maple block wood to symposium and I use one made by SRA. The JC3 is a star performer but there are other options that are also very good.

Most important, don't worry, enjoy.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby seamonster » Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 am

I'm no expert, but, your anti-skate filament appears to be too taut.
seamonster

Postby Votan » Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 am

Hi ihmeyers,
Congratulations on your new turntable. Enjoy it in good health.
But please make something with your lemo wire! It must be like a perfect arc (see attached photo) not because of cosmetics, but because the way it is on your photo, it would negatively affect anti-skate, azimuth, VTF, etc.

Arc of lemo wire.jpg
Arc of lemo wire.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Prime Signature+10”3DR in Finite Element(FE) platform,ADS,Lyra Delos, WW Silver Eclipse 8 Phono Cable., Groove Plus-SRX MkII Phono Stage, Moon 740 Pre,Moon 820 PSU,ATC 100 Active Speakers, AQ Niagara IC,WW Silver Electra 7 A/C, FE Ref Rack, RPG Treatment.
Votan

Return to Customer Pictures