Belt materials

Belt materials

Postby vienna acoustics » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 am

I have been testing some belts made of alternative materials on the rim drive and namely silicone, lpdm and viton.
All the above have failed to maintain a consistent speed and wow was increased sometimes exceeding 0.25%

It seems that the Nitrile (Buna -N/ NBR) belts, provided by VPI, offer way more speed consistency and keep wow below 0.05%.

I have tested the same materials on the rim drive’s fly wheel but I was unlucky as all the samples had noticeable thickness variations across the O-Ring surface therefore removed without test.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Re: Belt materials

Postby Brf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:11 am

I have tried a number of materials and over the years I found Ethylenepropylene-diene (EPDM) to perform the best. Also, there are supplier/manufacture variances in the physical properties of nitrile which can affect its elasticity and resistance to compression.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby vienna acoustics » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am

Did you find EPDM to be a better material in terms of speed stability Brent?
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby suntea » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Brf wrote:I have tried a number of materials and over the years I found Ethylenepropylene-diene (EPDM) to perform the best. Also, there are supplier/manufacture variances in the physical properties of nitrile which can affect its elasticity and resistance to compression.

Where can this be bought? Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 pm

Suntea
I bought new EDPM belts from Austin Seal Co, Inc, 9400 Business Drive, Austin, TX, 78758

I got two for my Prime in late 2017 and they are still fine. These were a custom order but very reasonable. My invoice says they are spliced, but I can’t see it. Keep in mind that they are made for high pressure conditions and chemical resistance so I’m not surprised the quality is very high. Mine were 0.070inch CS (cross section) X 296MM ID. I think these are a bit smaller CS than VPI buna belts. Your ID may need to be different and a speed controller is highly recommended. I’m not using one, but even run two of them on a standard pulley. The adjacent grooves are so close speed wise that I don’t think it makes much difference. Of course it’s a compromise, but what isn’t?
Give them a call, they are nice people and willing to help. My order took about a week to get.
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:55 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:Did you find EPDM to be a better material in terms of speed stability Brent?

Yes, plus it retains its shape and elasticity for a greater period of time.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby vienna acoustics » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 am

I hear you Brent, and assuming that my samples were not the proper, i went ahead ordering calibrated EPDM o-rings from a very reputable manufacturer in Germany.
The problem is that the minimum quantity to order is 100 pieces .
As soon as I will get them i will revert with my comments.

I have ordered the fly wheel’s o-rings too
vienna acoustics

Postby tony22 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 am

VA, did you get these for your Avenger? If so and you find them to be as good as you hope, I'd be happy to purchase some and take them off your hands. :)
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Sussurro Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby vienna acoustics » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 am

tony22 wrote:VA, did you get these for your Avenger? If so and you find them to be as good as you hope, I'd be happy to purchase some and take them off your hands. :)

Dear Tony
you know of course that I will hapilly send some to you without any cost.
The company's profile is here: https://www.trelleborg.com/en
vienna acoustics

Postby tony22 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Thank you my friend!
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Sussurro Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Next

Return to Support Forum