Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby mflaten » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Just received my Fatboy Gimbal. Very nice tonearm but I think a nice addition to the arm would be a alignment marking on the tonearm to adjust the azimuth as a reference. Before I made the initial adjustment I stuck a small piece of blue tape with a line on it where the arm rotates. To me it made it easier to make small incremental changes as well as knowing how far off from the original setting is.

Mat, what do you think??
User avatar
mflaten
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm
Location: Wayzata, MN

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 am

Since every cartridge is unique in actual stylus and cantilever alignment, I honestly see no reason to have a reference line. Not sure what purpose it would serve? Especially if you are using a Fozgometer, Feikert+ Software or other alignment tools?
User avatar
Letsmakeadeal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Such reference lines (for thos who have used the gimbal) are very useful,and will give a reference over the applied azimuth corrections
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
User avatar
vienna acoustics
Senior Member
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:Such reference lines (for thos who have used the gimbal) are very useful,and will give a reference over the applied azimuth corrections


Not to be argumentative, but I have a Gimbal Fatboy and see no reason for any reference lines. What is the point? How would they be useful in setting azimuth? :?:
User avatar
Letsmakeadeal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby vienna acoustics » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
vienna acoustics wrote:Such reference lines (for thos who have used the gimbal) are very useful,and will give a reference over the applied azimuth corrections


Not to be argumentative, but I have a Gimbal Fatboy and see no reason for any reference lines. What is the point? How would they be useful in setting azimuth? :?:

No comment!
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
User avatar
vienna acoustics
Senior Member
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby 10ovr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:46 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:
Letsmakeadeal wrote:
vienna acoustics wrote:Such reference lines (for thos who have used the gimbal) are very useful,and will give a reference over the applied azimuth corrections


Not to be argumentative, but I have a Gimbal Fatboy and see no reason for any reference lines. What is the point? How would they be useful in setting azimuth? :?:

No comment!

:lol: Now thats funny,,,,, I like the idea ,would help making small adjustments, I also think it would be nice to have an adjustable ring with a reference line on the VTA tower that you could zero after you get the arm level with the platter ,But thats just me,,, :D
10ovr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Fountain Hills AZ

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby mflaten » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I use the Adjust+ and an oscilloscope to set the azimuth and it requires a fine movement to make a correction. The line provides the reference when making those small changes. I would not think it would cost much of anything to add a reference line.
User avatar
mflaten
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm
Location: Wayzata, MN

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby Johnny » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am

I don't change cartridges that often, therefore, I don't need a reference point. However, this request is not exactly cost prohibitive
Johnny
Senior Member
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 am

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby tony22 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am

mflaten wrote:I use the Adjust+ and an oscilloscope to set the azimuth and it requires a fine movement to make a correction. The line provides the reference when making those small changes. I would not think it would cost much of anything to add a reference line.


Exactly.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
User avatar
tony22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Fatboy Gimbal suggestion

Postby Mat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:Since every cartridge is unique in actual stylus and cantilever alignment, I honestly see no reason to have a reference line. Not sure what purpose it would serve? Especially if you are using a Fozgometer, Feikert+ Software or other alignment tools?


That is part of the reason why Harry originally had a line and later removed it. That has been a continued conversation. At the moment I don't think a line will be popping on there but I'm always open minded :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
User avatar
Mat
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:19 pm
Location: Cliffwood, NJ

Next

Return to Mat's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x