New Cartridge opinions

New Cartridge opinions

Postby FrancoP23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm

I have an HW 19 mkiii with a Rega RB300 tonearm and I am looking for advice. I am thinking about investing in a new cartridge. I currently have a 35 year old Grado G+ which I believe is the equivalent of the Grado Gold. The stylus was replaced several years ago when I wasn't really using the TT so it is in good condition. In researching cartridges I have become aware of the importance of matching the cartridge to the tone arm. Grados are said to be finicky but I have not experienced any of the issues I have read about. All input is welcome!!
FrancoP23

Re: New Cartridge opinions

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 am

No idea what your budget is, but the RMAF 2018 video by the Soundsmith is worth study. The video and his others are on his website, Sound-Smith.com. I would say this is at the upper end price wise, but a nice deal on rebuilds and warranty. Long term good value.
I currently use an Ortofon 2M Bronze, recommended by Mark at Music Direct. Long ago I used a cheap moving coil and liked it, so I had my doubts about the 2M recommendation. But it can really sing on my Prime. Whatever you pick I suggest you take the time to learn the skill of a good setup. Sounds like you may already have the needed skill.
Mr_Putty

Postby jonathanb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 am

Elusive Disc is selling the Soundsmith Otello for $300. It will mate well with the RB300 and is a nice sounding cartridge.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Paul H » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 am

FrancoP23 wrote:I have an HW 19 mkiii with a Rega RB300 tonearm and I am looking for advice. I am thinking about investing in a new cartridge. I currently have a 35 year old Grado G+ which I believe is the equivalent of the Grado Gold. The stylus was replaced several years ago when I wasn't really using the TT so it is in good condition. In researching cartridges I have become aware of the importance of matching the cartridge to the tone arm. Grados are said to be finicky but I have not experienced any of the issues I have read about. All input is welcome!!

There are some pretty good deals out there on Soundsmith carts that are being discontinued for new models. Someone mentioned the Otello. There are even better discounts (bigger %) on the Aida and Zephyr, though at a good bit higher price level. A couple of authorized dealers have them, if you google - Music Direct & HiFi Heaven.
Paul H

Postby tom collins » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm

i have a grado me+ which is a mono cart on one of my arms. it sounds great. if you like the grado sound, get another one. i have no issues at all with the cart.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, center weight, 12.0 arm, 12.7 arm, SDS, SRA platform; Soundsmith Gold Denon, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Cary Audio PH302 ver 2 phono-pre; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby vienna acoustics » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:43 am

I have lately listened to an AT ART-9, I was impressed with the value you get with that money.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby tony22 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 am

Tom touched on a good point, Franco. What sort of sound do you like? IMO, next to speakers cartridges are the component that has the most sonic "personality", so it may be good to know your taste in listening.
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby soundwatts » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Just upgraded the ortofon cadenza bronze to the soundsmith paua mkii old body style.
Soundsmith is definitely worth considering. Elusive disc has a lot of them at 50 off.
Prime Signature
Soundsmith Paua mkii
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Return to General Chat