New Cartridge opinions

New Cartridge opinions

Postby FrancoP23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm

I have an HW 19 mkiii with a Rega RB300 tonearm and I am looking for advice. I am thinking about investing in a new cartridge. I currently have a 35 year old Grado G+ which I believe is the equivalent of the Grado Gold. The stylus was replaced several years ago when I wasn't really using the TT so it is in good condition. In researching cartridges I have become aware of the importance of matching the cartridge to the tone arm. Grados are said to be finicky but I have not experienced any of the issues I have read about. All input is welcome!!
FrancoP23

Re: New Cartridge opinions

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 am

No idea what your budget is, but the RMAF 2018 video by the Soundsmith is worth study. The video and his others are on his website, Sound-Smith.com. I would say this is at the upper end price wise, but a nice deal on rebuilds and warranty. Long term good value.
I currently use an Ortofon 2M Bronze, recommended by Mark at Music Direct. Long ago I used a cheap moving coil and liked it, so I had my doubts about the 2M recommendation. But it can really sing on my Prime. Whatever you pick I suggest you take the time to learn the skill of a good setup. Sounds like you may already have the needed skill.
Mr_Putty

Re: New Cartridge opinions

Postby jonathanb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 am

Elusive Disc is selling the Soundsmith Otello for $300. It will mate well with the RB300 and is a nice sounding cartridge.
Prime Signature #0009
10" 3DR/VdH RG-8
10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S
10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono
Aurorasound ViDA phono pre
Merrill Cara preamp
Gryphon M100 amps
Evolution Acoustics MicroOne speakers
Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Return to General Chat