Prime clamping post

Prime clamping post

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Harry,
Has VPI tested various materials for the threaded clamping post? Possibly brass or carbon fiber?

Another question: I’m doing some “dime” setup testing and would like to raise the record post about 1/8 inch so I have more threads engaged on the clamp. Can I do this by pulling on the existing threads? Or would you recommend using a heat gun to loosen the post first? Is there any down side to this expierment that you know of and are willing to share?
Thanks jta
Mr_Putty

Re: Prime clamping post

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Harry,
Has VPI tested various materials for the threaded clamping post? Possibly brass or carbon fibe

If by "post" you mean a screw down reflex clamp, you should try the carbon fiber Black Diamond Racing clamp, which is my favorite reflect clamp.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Brent, you like the BD over the Stillpoints?
Pass XP-20 & XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 am

Brf wrote:
Mr_Putty wrote:Harry,
Has VPI tested various materials for the threaded clamping post? Possibly brass or carbon fibe

If by "post" you mean a screw down reflex clamp, you should try the carbon fiber Black Diamond Racing clamp, which is my favorite reflect clamp.

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I was asking about the bolt thing that the clamp screws onto. The proper name escapes me. I see the BDRacing clamp is no longer available on Music Direct. I will look for reviews.
Any chance you have tried the Harmonix record clamp and/or mat?
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:12 am

I believe the term you are looking for is threaded record spindle. No I have not owned a Harmonix record weight but it appears to be close to what you are attempring to achieve with the dime experiment.

The BDR clamp is my favourite reflex clamp and the Stillpoints LPI my favourite weight. I rarely use the clamp anymore.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:17 am

I can only say with great certainty that if you try to remove the center threaded spindle from a platter you will, without a doubt, have to send the platter in for repair.
The center spindle is not made to come out so if it does you will have a warrantee headache on your hands.

Besides, we already have one of the longest spindles in the turntable world. Proceed with a warning!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Harry, Thanks for clarification.
I will NOT proceed with trying to raise the spindle as described. But, a screw on extension might work. I’m just not sure I can build one with the tools I have. (I certainly don’t want to create any warrantee issues.)
Brf,
Your description of my desired result is spot on. I have never heard either of the record clamps mentioned, but the reviews of them are encouraging. I’m just trying to make the same progress much cheaper.
Mr_Putty

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 pm

Brf wrote:I believe the term you are looking for is threaded record spindle. No I have not owned a Harmonix record weight but it appears to be close to what you are attempring to achieve with the dime experiment.

The BDR clamp is my favourite reflex clamp and the Stillpoints LPI my favourite weight. I rarely use the clamp anymore.

Question about all VPI threaded record clamps. Is there a record clamp that has more threads near the record than the Prime delrin clamp when installed? (See photo) The arrow in the photo shows where some relief has been cut before the threads begin. Is this design the current one? I would like the threads to continue to the landing where the arrow is. I need this alteration to confirm that sonic improvements that I have been using are consistent and improve reliability of operation. A thread landing closer to the record may be another possible option in the design. I have been testing record clamp setups for months and stumbled onto something that does not use dimes and is even better (meaning the best thing I have used on my Prime). It may be specific to the Prime, I don’t know, but think it worth trying on different tables. My guess is that it gives a 2db or better reduction of table noise, and is easily heard on my Prime with Ortofon 2M Bronze cart. (2db being a change most people could easily hear, imho). Would it improve an already great table? Only one way to find out. I don’t have access to other VPI tables at the moment so that option is not available for now. For the curious that don’t know: A reduction in table noise improves the sound across the entire spectrum. I have better bass, and most important to me, more detail and realism of vocal harmonies. Also, my setup has some unconventional tweaks, but nothing changed before the clamp discovery was heard.
Attachments
4EB314E5-38B7-4A83-B371-1A9C3B0A6FFB.jpeg
Prime record clamp
4EB314E5-38B7-4A83-B371-1A9C3B0A6FFB.jpeg (569.67 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Mr_Putty

Postby vienna acoustics » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 pm

I think that Clearaudio threaded clamps will do.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 pm

I did some searching and could not find much about them. Except the best is listed for $700. The next down is $200. No specs, no revealing photos, etc. No reviews either. Thanks for the idea, but I don’t think the Clearaidio clamps are for me.
Mr_Putty

Next

Return to Harry's Corner